Polestar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T8
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone that's taken delivery of a P*2 experienced towing something more than a bike rack or utility cart? How was the driving experience and range impact?

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T8
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're gonna want to load the trailer with batteries. :)
Exactly why I'm asking about other people and not sharing my story! (Assuming I actually had my P*2 already...)

Reactions: JPC

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Honestly following people in Tesla's towing stuff ... Drag Efficiency is more important than weight. Therefore if you are pulling a small trailer that's no taller than the rear of the car ... I can't see much difference. I'm going to try next summer to take my 3 Bikes on the back of a trailer around 300miles. This will show me any major loses. But until then I can only go by what I've read/watched regarding other EV's.

So towing a horse box would be bad or anything with a flat front, but I assume you are asking about something more like this:-

Which would be fine and may at most cut 25% range at worst.

Reactions: gtpolestar

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T8
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly following people in Tesla's towing stuff ... Drag Efficiency is more important than weight. Therefore if you are pulling a small trailer that's no taller than the rear of the car ... I can't see much difference. I'm going to try next summer to take my 3 Bikes on the back of a trailer around 300miles. This will show me any major loses. But until then I can only go by what I've read/watched regarding other EV's.

So towing a horse box would be bad or anything with a flat front, but I assume you are asking about something more like this:-

View attachment 2187

Which would be fine and may at most cut 25% range at worst.
Thanks, @GDank. That matches my vague understanding as well - if the trailer is small enough to slipstream behind the vehicle, then the aerodynamics are pretty straightforward. Also if the car is powerful enough (I think the P*2 is fine there! :)), then the cost of the additional weight is not as taxing as it would be for a small 4-cylinder car for example.

Do you have any resources you've seen on the Tesla side? I have only seen anecdotal tests and not systematic metrics. From what I've read, I think ~20-25% seems reasonable, but I was hoping to hear some real numbers from P*2 owners.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I've been looking into this as well. I would expect a significant hit on range which might make the whole business impractical. I agree with GDank that it's all about drag.

A few that could work decently would be the following:
Timberland Pika
Midwest Rover
The Polydrop
The Meaner Bean
The Tag Teardrop
The Terradrop
And, maybe, just maybe, the Safari Condo Alto R1723.

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T8
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking into this as well. I would expect a significant hit on range which might make the whole business impractical. I agree with GDank that it's all about drag.

A few that could work decently would be the following:
Timberland Pika
Midwest Rover
The Polydrop
The Meaner Bean
The Tag Teardrop
The Terradrop
And, maybe, just maybe, the Safari Condo Alto R1723.

View attachment 2188
Given that the P*2 is shorter than the average CUV, I would expect the drag to be slightly worse than I see in beautiful images like this! 😝

Tesla Model 3 is probably a better example, although it's aerodynamics seem more slippery than the P*2, so maybe the higher drag coefficient of the P*2 would actually have a benefit of creating a higher wake. It's been years since I assumed any knowledge of fluid dynamics, so maybe I'm just being an optimistic (future) owner!

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
The slightly larger frontal area and higher drag coefficient means that there's a larger wake/vortex/low pressure zone behind, so that the Polestar 2 should be a bit less affected by trailer drag than a Tesla with the same trailer.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Do you have any resources you've seen on the Tesla side? I have only seen anecdotal tests and not systematic metrics. From what I've read, I think ~20-25% seems reasonable, but I was hoping to hear some real numbers from P*2 owners.

I've time stamped to the part that matters. This is a Model X towing two caravan's. One they get 1/2 range the other 3/4 range.

I'm sure the Polestar 2 won't notice a small trailer or bike rack. Unfortunately with a mix of lockdown(s), low ownership numbers, a newly released car, etc... there are not enough towers around here, and none that have gone any considerable distance to give numbers that would be realistic on a long dive.

If I'm bored one weekend before xmas I'll load my 3 bikes up and do a test up the motorway and back down again. But I'll have to be that bored and know there is really cheap electricity that night!

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T8
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I've time stamped to the part that matters. This is a Model X towing two caravan's. One they get 1/2 range the other 3/4 range.

I'm sure the Polestar 2 won't notice a small trailer or bike rack. Unfortunately with a mix of lockdown(s), low ownership numbers, a newly released car, etc... there are not enough towers around here, and none that have gone any considerable distance to give numbers that would be realistic on a long dive.

If I'm bored one weekend before xmas I'll load my 3 bikes up and do a test up the motorway and back down again. But I'll have to be that bored and know there is really cheap electricity that night!
Great video link, thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
An interesting (and only tangentially related) piece of information regarding drag on tandem objects: When you draft behind someone on a bike (or car) both the drafter and the lead bike/car gain an aerodynamic advantage. So towing a trailer could hypothetically reduce the drag on the car itself. But the overall drag still goes up of course.

Ok I’m done...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts