Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Polestar 2 owners,
I read about the easy to scratch piano-black material around the gear selector. Of course a new car will be used and get some scratches over time but does anyone already found a handy solution to prevent those scratches to pop up?
07D90BD9-6D24-4E5D-AF2E-25D6ECD1FDA3.jpeg

·
Registered
694 Posts
The same way some people wrap the external of their car, you can get inside wraps too.

On Amazon there a millions for the Tesla Model 3 (LINK) ... as they have even more piano black and where you would touch it too!
Hopefully in time there will be some simple solutions on Amazon etc... for Polestar owners.

Example about 2/3 the way down:-
Vinyl Detailing Wraps - De-Chrome, Interior Wraps, Embossing | VWC

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do share photographs...

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I may try that, too. I'd probably try to remove the panel to do it. Post a DIY if you do.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Happy to, though at this rate, it may be your Christmas present. Web says September, app says November, and Mike said late Oct-early Nov, so still hoping for 4 weeks or so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You just pull it. Hard!

There are six clips - three down each side. The whole panel comes away complete with the rubber phone tray and USB sockets. There are then two plugs to disconnect.

Once you've got it off, you can then separate the two halves. Once the two halves are separated, you can remove two screws to remove the button module.

Could not get PPF to stick to the surface nicely though no matter what. Just could not move the water out of the way - looked awful. Ended up using tail-light tinting film instead.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You just pull it. Hard!

There are six clips - three down each side. The whole panel comes away complete with the rubber phone tray and USB sockets. There are then two plugs to disconnect.

Once you've got it off, you can then separate the two halves. Once the two halves are separated, you can remove two screws to remove the button module.

Could not get PPF to stick to the surface nicely though no matter what. Just could not move the water out of the way - looked awful. Ended up using tail-light tinting film instead.
Thanks for the detailed instructions. Can you post pictures of the result?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm going to use some 3M protective wrapping - I have some left over from a laptop skin from dbrand.com. They have some pretty nice textured/coloured finishes:

Yellow carbon fibre for those with the PP? :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the detailed instructions. Can you post pictures of the result?
Sure:-

It really doesn't look that colour in the flesh - camera has done something odd! It needs to settle for a day or two as well.

And in case anyone wants to know what's under there...

Basically the inductive charger remains in the car - when you take the trim off, it's just the rubber pad that moves.

The connector on the USB sockets was ridiculously hard to undo, so instead I popped the whole module out.

It's not a Volvo, honest :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sure:-

View attachment 1124

It really doesn't look that colour in the flesh - camera has done something odd! It needs to settle for a day or two as well.

And in case anyone wants to know what's under there...

View attachment 1125

Basically the inductive charger remains in the car - when you take the trim off, it's just the rubber pad that moves.

The connector on the USB sockets was ridiculously hard to undo, so instead I popped the whole module out.

It's not a Volvo, honest :)

View attachment 1126
great pics!
any way to tell with the covers off if the USBC ports are power only vs also data?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Volume knob stays attached to the panel - there's a green connector on it - you just press the button on the side to unplug it.

Once you've removed the trim piece you can then separate the piano black bit from the 'charger / USB' bit. The module with the volume controls on it is then held to the panel with a couple of screws. I removed it so the wrap goes right inside. Should reduce the risk of the edges peeling up.

Sorry, didn't get a picture of the panel once removed from the car and I'm not pulling it off again. It jangled my nerves enough the first time!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts