Polestar Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Do in understand correctly that the film can be removed in the future without damage to the original part?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
However, replace every 3 years or you run the risk of it not coming off as easily. If PPF Clear then 5-7 depending on quality ... if colour or carbon etc.. then 3 years max, unless the manufacture says otherwise.

·
Registered
439 Posts
However, replace every 3 years or you run the risk of it not coming off as easily. If PPF Clear then 5-7 depending on quality ... if colour or carbon etc.. then 3 years max, unless the manufacture says otherwise.
It's a 3 year lease, so...

Reactions: Terran

·
Registered
510 Posts
I tried clear PPF and was unhappy that it still showed up a lot of finger prints. Bought some Carbon 3M film off Amazon and installed myself. Super happy with the finish.
Getting ready to do this same job when my car comes in a few days - I ordered the 3M 1080 Carbon film today off Amazon. I have a few questions (ok lots of questions):

1) Looks like you peel the backing and just lay the film down on the top of the plate. Do you do any stretching as you lay it down? I'm worried about making the grain of the "carbon" look wiggly.

2) Do you need to trim the outside edges before you lay down the film, or can you trim it after you have it on the surface? How much do you leave to wrap around the back? Any tips an wrapping around the edges? Do you pull it to stretch as you go around? Do you use any heat?

3) Looks like you did the inner holes after you did the main skin. Again, how much extra do you leave to wrap around to the back? Does it matter? I don't really understand how the film can make all those tight corners. Do you have to make any slits to get it to conform to the tight corners? Or is the film just crazy stretchy?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never used this film before and it looks tricky.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
365 Posts
Getting ready to do this same job when my car comes in a few days - I ordered the 3M 1080 Carbon film today off Amazon. I have a few questions (ok lots of questions):

1) Looks like you peel the backing and just lay the film down on the top of the plate. Do you do any stretching as you lay it down? I'm worried about making the grain of the "carbon" look wiggly.

2) Do you need to trim the outside edges before you lay down the film, or can you trim it after you have it on the surface? How much do you leave to wrap around the back? Any tips an wrapping around the edges? Do you pull it to stretch as you go around? Do you use any heat?

3) Looks like you did the inner holes after you did the main skin. Again, how much extra do you leave to wrap around to the back? Does it matter? I don't really understand how the film can make all those tight corners. Do you have to make any slits to get it to conform to the tight corners? Or is the film just crazy stretchy?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've never used this film before and it looks tricky.

Thanks!!
re above
  1. yes clean the plastic centre console thoroughly before simply laying down the wrap. I think you’ve got the same wrap that I ordered and the details are on that thread. I drew around the console shape on the wrap first to provide a rough outline but did leave overlap to hook around the edges, probably about 5cm or so. You can trim more once you’ve laid over the top. I did not cut out the holes until laid on and all straight. I then used a new craft knife set to cut the hole out.
  2. As above and you don’t really need to stretch it. A little heat will make it more flexible so yes not a bad idea to have the hairdryer nearby.
  3. You may have to make the odd slit to deal with the corners but the wrap is pretty flexible.

·
Registered
510 Posts
OK, that was exciting. It took me a few days of gradually pulling harder and harder on the console before I finally got it to release today. In the end, when it releases, it does so quite calmly and quietly. But you've got to pull pretty darn hard. I found myself going around from one seat to the other to get the two sides released. It's easier to get the right side released by pulling from the left seat and vice-versa. OK, now moving on to the wiring...

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm stuck trying to get the USB module out. Not sure which tabs I'm supposed to be pushing on to release it. Any suggestions from those who have tried it (e.g., @stevelup @misterspam @Millso ) ?

EDIT: Got it out. For those trying to do this in the future, you need to lift up on the two black plastic tabs on the upper portion of the right-hand face (the side facing the passenger door on US cars) to allow the metal black tabs to slide down out of the holes in the black plastic. Not super intuitive but easy once you figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
'Looks great! I may have to do this.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Looks great @JPC . I have some wrap on its way, ready to install as soon as I get my car.

Reactions: ProfessorCook
61 - 80 of 103 Posts