Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

A few of us are taking part in some market research which may ultimately be for Polestar, but the end client is not being disclosed. So far we have no women taking part, which is a pity as I'd like there to be a balanced view if possible. Are there any female owners on here who might like to take part? It involves a bit of a video diary and a couple of discussions over Zoom.

If you are female and would like to take part, or if your partner is female and is the main driver of the car and would like to take part, please drop me a Private Message on here.

Note I'm not running this myself, I am taking part as an owner, but have been asked to find some other volunteers and have found a few now but we're all men!

Many thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
702 Posts
Funny, I saw this posted on the Polestar EV UK group earlier today:

Just realised that the significant majority of this group's members are men. Typically, women use Facebook more and I assume the ratio of male to female drivers in UK is pretty healthy. So, why are so few women seen in this group? Are electrical car more a male thing? Or is the Polestar something that women in general find less appealing? Or do they want to (rightly) wait for it to become a more established brand before gambling on it ? My wife said she would not go for it but could not explain the reason clearly
🙂

Not looking to start a gender or equality debate but purely an observation.

Coincidence...

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly, I suspect it follows the trend of there being far more male engineers than female engineers - look at the percentage on here that work in or around the software and electronics industry, or wider into other aspects of engineering. I wonder if it's just an extension of that?

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
774 Posts
The Venn diagram intersection of people who got in line to buy the car AND are on the online forum probably skews pretty male.

Curious to hear the perspectives of some of our female members.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Maybe it's the style of the car, too. My wife likes it well enough, but it seems too aggressive or too masculine for her taste. Her words, not mine.

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sadly, I suspect it follows the trend of there being far more male engineers than female engineers - look at the percentage on here that work in or around the software and electronics industry, or wider into other aspects of engineering. I wonder if it's just an extension of that?
I would agree, without getting into details of where etc. I work in IT for a financial organisation and our team is only minimally populated with females but I will quickly say not through any decision, just rather that is how it is and how it has grown. I see the same across all parts of the IT organisation in reality. Much the same (although not much noise is made about this) that there are not many male teachers in primary education. Same. issue, different flavour.

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely. Where I work, all bar one of the software and electronics team are male, and all bar one of the Human Factors and Design Research team are female. Great fun when we can work on projects together and it really makes you realise how much you miss the input and often different perspective provided by a mixed group.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,602 Posts
Another observation from a male navel-gazer:
All the forum members who I believe to have self-identified as women are from the US.
AFAIK only men from UK, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden....

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Well now... if we're going to get competitive here...

·
Super Moderator
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, that's lovely for you :)

Now, are there any women on this chat line forum?

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Not being competitive at all. Just pointing out there is something more than meets the eye.
'Just trying to have a bit of lighthearted fun.

When I graduated from college in 1981, there were four women civil engineers in a class of maybe a hundred at the University of Illinois. I remember sitting at an awards banquet where these four, remarkable young women were sweeping the awards. They were smart, involved... model students and great people. I remember thinking how this would all change soon... that we were finally going to have some parity.

Now, here I am, 40 years later, and I looked out on my classes today... 3/32 in a senior-level class, 6/18 in a graduate-level class. (sigh)

We've got a depressingly long way to go when it comes to gender equality and, of course, all sorts of social justice issues. Let's hope progress accelerates... we'll all benefit.

BTW, Germany currently holds the title currently. 'Hope we get to see a rematch in the next Olympics, whenever that happens.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Maybe it's the style of the car, too. My wife likes it well enough, but it seems too aggressive or too masculine for her taste. Her words, not mine.
Every time I look at my car that’s the thought I have, “very masculine and muscular” especially in the dark colors and 20 in wheels. I know several in the Reactions on the Street thread have described it as a modern muscle car. Not meaning to be chauvinistic, but I would not expect the average female driver to love the styling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts