Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
California
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there’s a lot of—ahem—distaste for SF Bay Area’s local electric car company here. And I know there are lots of shot-term comparisons between the Model 3 and the Polestar 2.

But have any of you actually owned/leased a Model 3 and moved to the Polestar 2? Any regrets?

Polestar’s making it incredibly difficult for me to keep the faith that they’re going to be capable of moving quickly to fix issues in this very new car — and of course I couldn’t get the Polestar 2 right now even in good moments when I want to — so I keep having second thoughts about whether I’ll just suffer the issues I know I have with my Model 3 for a while longer. There’s a lot that Tesla does get right, despite all their well-documented faults. Would like to hear from actual former Tesla owners about the comparison.

·
Registered
California
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My neighbor had an S and X. Now he's got a Bmer 5 and a Panamera.
Other than the size of the vehicle, I’m sure I’d be perfectly happy moving from the Model 3 to the Taycan if that were what I were considering. 😆

I think I’ll use this thread to document my own experience of having owned a Model 3, just so I don’t regularly clutter other people’s threads with stuff they don’t want to hear. If I get my Polestar 2.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Other than the size of the vehicle, I’m sure I’d be perfectly happy moving from the Model 3 to the Taycan if that were what I were considering. 😆
My neighbor just got fed up with the crappy Teslas. There was no Taycan when he switched. He just has the Panamera. And obviously for this guy price is not an issue.

·
Registered
California
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I get it. Everyone complains about Tesla quality and problems. I was one of those with a preorder for the Model 3. I ended up cancelling because of how poor the quality was of the initial ones we test drove. Rattles, loose interior panels, and all that.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, though: My 2020 Model 3 hasn’t had any of those sorts of problems. Panel gaps are a little uneven, but I’m 15k mi in and it’s been fine, no rattles or times when I couldn’t drive it.

This thread is because I'm anxious about the things I like that I will be losing.
  • Backup camera is high quality, even in the dark, and the side cameras are positioned high enough in the B pillars to be useful. With the recent UI update, when I go into reverse I see little side cameras as well as big rear camera. It’s great. It’s not quite as nice as the trademark Volvo 360º view, but it’s way better than what I saw in my Polestar 2 test drive.
  • Polestar did not come close to the 275 mile EPA target they still have up on the web site (under standard features).
  • Superchargers, which I covered in other threads.
  • Watching Hulu / Netflix on a big wide screen while eating lunch at a Supercharger. Yeah, I really thought this was ridiculous and had no place in a car. Really I argued with my Tesla friends this was stupid. Then I used it. I was wrong.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Hold work shockingly well. Even in weird situations with cars butting in front it brakes slowly and sensibly. I do not have, would not use, and do not believe in full self-driving. But it’s really nice to quickly flick a stalk when I get on the highway. It doesn’t require me to turn it back on if traffic stopped for 3 seconds.
  • Sentry Mode / built-in DashCam. It’s nice peace-of-mind knowing my car is recording incidents should they occur.
  • I open the app and turn on climate / precondition with a single tap when it’s cold out. It’s nice. Yeah I know, “mid-2021”.
The only reason I bought the Model 3 was because my Alfa Romeo’s lease was up in 2020 to meet with Polestar’s planned launch of the 2. This was meant to be a holdover until I got a better car. I just wish it were completely better.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I get it. Everyone complains about Tesla quality and problems. I was one of those with a preorder for the Model 3. I ended up cancelling because of how poor the quality was of the initial ones we test drove. Rattles, loose interior panels, and all that.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, though: My 2020 Model 3 hasn’t had any of those sorts of problems. Panel gaps are a little uneven, but I’m 15k mi in and it’s been fine, no rattles or times when I couldn’t drive it.

This thread is because anxious about the things I like that I will be losing.
  • Backup camera is high quality, even in the dark, and the side cameras are positioned high enough in the B pillars to be useful. With the recent UI update, when I go into reverse I see little side cameras as well as big rear camera. It’s great. It’s not quite as nice as the trademark Volvo 360º view, but it’s way better than what I saw in my Polestar 2 test drive.
  • Polestar did not come close to the 275 mile EPA target they still have up on the web site (under standard features).
  • Superchargers, which I covered in other threads.
  • Watching Hulu / Netflix on a big wide screen while eating lunch at a Supercharger. Yeah, I really thought this was ridiculous and had no place in a car. Really I argued with my Tesla friends this was stupid. Then I used it. I was wrong.
  • Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Hold work shockingly well. Even in weird situations with cars butting in front it brakes slowly and sensibly. I do not have, would not use, and do not believe in full self-driving. But it’s really nice to quickly flick a stalk when I get on the highway. It doesn’t require me to turn it back on if traffic stopped for 3 seconds.
  • Sentry Mode / built-in DashCam. It’s nice peace-of-mind knowing my car is recording incidents should they occur.
  • I open the app and turn on climate / precondition with a single tap when it’s cold out. It’s nice. Yeah I know, mid-2021.
The only reason I bought the Model 3 was because my Alfa Romeo’s lease was up in 2020 to meet with Polestar’s planned launch of the 2. This was meant to be a holdover until I got a better car. I just wish it were completely better.
Don't read this from another thread on this comparison:

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
So that's great, Julian. You've got a good car that you enjoy. I probably need to go back and read more of your posts, but I don't see a problem here. Stick with the car you know and enjoy, right? Bird in the hand and all that.

·
Registered
California
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn’t raise it to the level of “enjoy” 😅. This whole struggle is because I don’t actually enjoy driving the Model 3. I enjoyed driving my Giulia, C30, and Miata, despite particular quirks of each. I think I’d enjoy driving the Polestar 2 a lot more than the Model 3. Except there’s a bunch of stuff that I worry I’d miss.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Except there’s a bunch of stuff that I worry I’d miss.
I've owned a lot of cars and no two are the same. And for that matter no two exactly build on one another. There are always things in a new car that you really appreciate that you didn't have before, and there are always things in the old car that you miss. But ultimately you get used to both.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Yeah. I wouldn't want one in the Polestar, but I do miss a great manual transmission.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah. I wouldn't want one in the Polestar, but I do miss a great manual transmission.
I think that's an important difference I find. A 70's/80's performance car with a manual transmission and a peaky powerband required you to control all aspects of the beast. When you got everything right it was incredibly satisfying but the workload on the driver was very high. That was part of the experience. With the Polestar 2, it's more that you provide the desired input and the car does all the detail work, executing faster and more accurately than you ever could yourself. It is an amazing sensation (especially at first) and satisfying in its own way, but it's not the same.

It feels to me the difference between "accomplishment" and "appreciation" if that makes sense. And I like both of those feelings. :)

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I think that's an important difference I find. A 70's/80's performance car with a manual transmission and a peaky powerband required you to control all aspects of the beast. When you got everything right it was incredibly satisfying but the workload on the driver was very high. That was part of the experience. With the Polestar 2, it's more that you provide the desired input and the car does all the detail work, executing faster and more accurately than you ever could yourself. It is an amazing sensation (especially at first) and satisfying in its own way, but it's not the same.

It feels to me the difference between "accomplishment" and "appreciation" if that makes sense. And I like both of those feelings. :)
What's really amazing when you think about it is that this car is MUCH faster than an iconic '70s Ferrari 308.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
What's really amazing when you think about it is that this car is MUCH faster than an iconic '70s Ferrari 308.
About as quick as the following:
2008 Audi RS6 Avant
2008 BMW M3 Coupe
2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2007 Ferrari F430 F1 Berlinetta
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
2007 Lotus Exige S
2004 Maserati Trofeo
2006 Mercedes E63 AMG
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera
2005 Vauxhall VXR220

'Just sayin'

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes, EVs are completely rewriting the rules when it comes to vehicle performance. Hard to even compare, when even a $100k Tesla Model S or Porsche Taycan can outperform a $1-2 million Lamborghini or Ferrari (at least on the drag strip). Just look at how the hybrid F1 cars compare to modern ICE Indycars:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Hard to even compare, when even a $100k Tesla Model S or Porsche Taycan can outperform a $1-2 million Lamborghini or Ferrari (at least on the drag strip)
Tesla has no problem making an electric motor that's very fast, but it still takes a company like Porsche (others with the right chops to follow) to make an EV that can go fast and corner on an ongoing basis. I wouldn't trust my @$$ to a Tesla on a race track or Autobaun.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts