Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried playing music from their iphone on test drives or in your new car? Via bluetooth will work fine I presume, just won't have the nice graphics??

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes, and sound quality was excellent - must use one of the better CODECs. I tried Spotify and Apple Music. No cover art / no control at all apart from track skip. This is an Android Automotive limitation, not something Polestar have deliberately done. The next version of Android Automotive supports cover art and proper navigation, so hopefully we'll get it at some point.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and sound quality was excellent - must use one of the better CODECs. I tried Spotify and Apple Music. No cover art / no control at all apart from track skip. This is an Android Automotive limitation, not something Polestar have deliberately done. The next version of Android Automotive supports cover art and proper navigation, so hopefully we'll get it at some point.
Just out of interest, if you were going to explain CODECs to a not too bright 5 year old, how would you go about it? Asking for a friend.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bluetooth used to have a very small amount of bandwidth so the audio had to be compressed so it can be transmitted. This resulted in awful audio quality - I mean, almost barely usable for music.

A combination of things has happened over the years - the available bandwidth has increased, and the CODECs (the thing the compresses and uncompresses the sound) have improved.

Apple stuff usually uses AAC as this is supported in hardware on their devices. But both ends need to support the same CODEC otherwise it can't work. I have no way of knowing what was in use between the iPhone and the Polestar, but whatever it was, it was very good. Basically the devices will negotiate and should select the best option that both ends support.

If you really want to delve deep, this is a good article:-

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
926 Posts
Just out of interest, if you were going to explain CODECs to a not too bright 5 year old, how would you go about it? Asking for a friend.
Using a better codec is like using a better speaker/sound system. Upside is the codec is basically free since it’s software; just needs to be enabled.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend says thanks to you both.
In my his VW the sound quality is the same whether bluetooth or connected via carplay. Could the polestar be the same?

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
926 Posts
Using a better codec is like using a better speaker/sound system. Upside is the codec is basically free since it’s software; just needs to be enabled.
(Premature send on that last one.)

Going a bit deeper.
To play your music, the computer has to tell the speakers what notes to play when. Generally speaking the more information written down about the initial recording of the music and ultimately given to the sound system the better. However there is a trade off since you don’t have infinite space on your hard drive to store all that information, and there’s usually a tighter bottleneck in how fast you can transmit that info to the speakers in real time.

So you have to come up with a clever way to store and then transmit the most relevant information to the speakers. That clever way is the codec. Could’ve just said “code” but some people like to make things complicated. Over time that codec has gotten better as we’ve expanded our hard drive space and how fast we can stream info to the speakers (the channel’s bandwidth to be a bit technical). If you really care deeply about how precise you’re capturing that awesome live rendition of Red Fang’s Prehistoric Dog while driving on the twisties, you want not just great hardware like the P*2s sound system but also the latest and greatest software (the Codec) to tell that system how to play the music.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
926 Posts
My friend says thanks to you both.
In my his VW the sound quality is the same whether bluetooth or connected via carplay. Could the polestar be the same?
Most likely yes. Whether wired through a cable or wireless through Bluetooth the channel transmitting the info is just as wide, functionally, or rather is more likely to be limited more by the codec being used.

If you care deeply about such things I’d look up for whichever app/player you’re using how to specify the top of the line codec. Apparently YouTube music defaults to a better one than Spotify. On my current car’s crap sound system I can’t hear a difference. But that could just be me and the sort of music I listen to.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Seems this thread attracts lots of spam - that's three messages I've had to delete now!

·
Registered
33 Posts
On a slight side note, has anybody tired using Android Auto yet? I thought it was working now and Apple Car Play comes later next year? I use Amazon Music and Audible and i miss the cover art.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Android Auto has never been promised. Not even on the roadmap as far as I know.

A future update to the Android Automotive system (from Android 9 to 11) will enable cover art via Bluetooth though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Android Auto has never been promised. Not even on the roadmap as far as I know.

A future update to the Android Automotive system (from Android 9 to 11) will enable cover art via Bluetooth though.
I do wonder why they're using such an old version of Android

·
Registered
300 Posts
When they started developing this solution, Android 9 was the current version. There was no automotive release of 10.

Android Automotive Release 11 was announced on September 8th - so there will be lots of testing and verification needed before it finds its way into our cars.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I second the short term ban on Dave.... He has to learn to control his desire to feed the spammers and the trolls. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: rgledhill
1 - 20 of 51 Posts