Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had their app start to time out while they are away on vacation. After about 4 days, my app stopped fetching car and battery status? My car isn’t being used while I am away, but the car was at about 75% and was driven for at least 30 minutes before we left on the trip. Should I worry?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Has anyone ever had their app start to time out while they are away on vacation. After about 4 days, my app stopped fetching car and battery status? My car isn’t being used while I am away, but the car was at about 75% and was driven for at least 30 minutes before we left on the trip. Should I worry?
I think the car has gone in to deep sleep, so that could be the reason why the phone app is no longer getting charge information from the car.

I went away for 3 weeks to the US in late June this year and returned home mid July.

I parked my car at home with 51% SOC, I didn't check my car using the app while I was away.

When I arrived back to the UK after the 3 weeks vacation I was nervous thinking I might come back to a flat 12volt battery or the car main traction battery losses a lot of charge.
I used the key fob button to open the car, it unlocked with no issues. Then it took about a minute for the infotaiment screen to boot up and I was able to select drive and the car remained at 51% with no drain at all.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as your SOC is at 75%.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the car has gone in to deep sleep, so that could be the reason why the phone app is no longer getting charge information from the car.

I went away for 3 weeks to the US in late June this year and returned home mid July.

I parked my car at home with 51% SOC, I didn't check my car using the app while I was away.

When I arrived back to the UK after the 3 weeks vacation I was nervous thinking I might come back to a flat 12volt battery or the car main traction battery losses a lot of charge.
I used the key fob button to open the car, it unlocked with no issues. Then it took about a minute for the infotaiment screen to boot up and I was able to select drive and the car remained at 51% with no drain at all.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as your SOC is at 75%.
Thank you for the information and context!

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
1,496 Posts
It’s hard to say … by design, the app should be able to connect to the car, if it’s parked where signal is good, as far as I know. It might be just app/car inconsistency, or the 12V could be failing to turn the car on, so it cannot send the required info over to you.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
You could have killed the 12v as everytime you checked it, you woke the car up and it uses some of the 12v battery, which would eventually drain.

If the car is secure like in a locked garage and not on the driveway or a car park you can try to unlock and lock the doors, if it works then no issues, if it doesn’t then you probably got a dead 12v or worse a dead tcam and dead 12v. I wouldn’t attempt this if the car isn’t secure as it may unlock but not lock again.

Also depending on how long your away for depends on how much SOC you should leave the car with, the guidelines are in the manual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same issue recently. I was out of town for about 4 days and it failed to connect after about day 2. I got back and the car had the exact same charge, no issues. My sense is that the car went into some sleep mode or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just happened to me. Had a TCAM failure so the car had to be taken to a service centre. After a couple of days over the weekend I stopped receiving any car status data on the app but connected again today when I went to pick the car up.

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
542 Posts
Mine did the same after about 3-4 days when I put it into storage last winter. I checked on it through the app for a few days then lost contact. I physically visited the car a couple times to check the battery. Again I had access through the app and then lost it, I assume because the car went to sleep.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just got back from an 8 day trip. I tried checking status a couple days into the trip and it timed out. I tried about half a day later and it worked. I probably checked once a day for the next few days and it worked about half the time. When it timed out, I would try a few times and then 10 to 15min later, but it would always keep timing out. I restarted the app and phone and it didn't make any difference. I don't have an explanation why it worked some times and not others. It's like it goes into deep sleep and isn't available, but wakes up occasionally and is available.

·
Registered
No issues: 2022 Polestar 2 magnesium, PP, 12/21 DOB
119 Posts
Just happened to me this weekend. After many close and relaunch determined that I was logged out of the app - wasn’t totally obvious to me. Click on the person icon in the app and log back in - it fetched as normal and has been fine.

edit: it’s still 1000 times better than the GM app in the bolt which would log out every day almost without fail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update for anyone following this thread or reading it in the future. Since opening this post, I’ve returned home after a total of 10 days and all was fine.
I did try looking at the car status one more time while away and got status information as expected.
What I personally learned:
—Try to resist the temptation of checking the app while away. It likely only drains the battery.
—The car definitely seems to go into a deep sleep after a few days and that’s when it won’t always retrieve information on the app.
—The car seems to “wake up” from time to time and if you’re checking on it remotely at that time, you will likely get status, but don’t worry if you don’t. Seems like the deep sleep aspect may be a real thing.
—The car holds its main charge well while on vacation, the main battery only went down about 2% over 10+ days, so that’s reassuring.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just an update for anyone following this thread or reading it in the future. Since opening this post, I’ve returned home after a total of 10 days and all was fine.
I did try looking at the car status one more time while away and got status information as expected.
What I personally learned:
—Try to resist the temptation of checking the app while away. It likely only drains the battery.
—The car definitely seems to go into a deep sleep after a few days and that’s when it won’t always retrieve information on the app.
—The car seems to “wake up” from time to time and if you’re checking on it remotely at that time, you will likely get status, but don’t worry if you don’t. Seems like the deep sleep aspect may be a real thing.
—The car holds its main charge well while on vacation, the main battery only went down about 2% over 10+ days, so that’s reassuring.
Great to hear all is ok with your car.
As I mentioned in my response earlier, I didn't check my car whilst I was away for 3 weeks. I was concerned with potential battery drain each time I check because it will cause the car to wake.
For me I was away for 3 weeks, I left the car with 51% and came back and it remained on 51%.

I think during the period you couldn't get a status update was due to the car in deep sleep.

I think my car remained in deep sleep after 2 to 3 days at the start of my 3 weeks holiday at the end of June. Because just a couple of days before I left for my holiday, my car updated to the very buggy 2.2 update where I did have carplay, but I had revert to KM and side mirror bug.

Just over mid way through my 3 weeks holiday, I read in the forum Polestar pushed a silent update to fix the KM and mirror bug. When I arrived back mid July, I was hoping my car got the update because I read many owners with the issue had the silent fix, this was about a week before arriving back to the uk.
My car didn't get the silent update, I think it remained in deep sleep to be able to download the silent update.

After few days my car received the update. Once the car is in deep sleep it will not receive OTA updates or send out battery/door status, this is just my interpretation of the situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It’s pretty impressive that you left the car for 3 weeks and came back to it without battery problems. This definitely wouldn’t have been the case with my last car (ICE) car, which I admit was over a decade old.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts