Polestar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us still slave to the half eaten fruit ecosystem... I picked up an interesting unconfirmed detail from a review that stated the car has shipped with components for Wireless Apple CarPlay. Which is cool... I have a wireless CarPlay adapter in my current car and it’s so much more convenient than fumbling with wires.

I have also read conflicting reports that it’ll be enabled OTA either end of the year 2020 or before summer 2021. That’s quite a window...! I sincerely hope I’m not waiting a year for that. Also wonder if they’ll support iOS CarKey eventually.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For those of us still slave to the half eaten fruit ecosystem... I picked up an interesting unconfirmed detail from a review that stated the car has shipped with components for Wireless Apple CarPlay. Which is cool... I have a wireless CarPlay adapter in my current car and it’s so much more convenient than fumbling with wires.

I have also read conflicting reports that it’ll be enabled OTA either end of the year 2020 or before summer 2021. That’s quite a window...! I sincerely hope I’m not waiting a year for that. Also wonder if they’ll support iOS CarKey eventually.
Some info here in their press release.
Apple carplay mid 2021

·
Registered
621 Posts
Are there specific apps you need to use from CarPlay?

I mainly (would) use CarPlay for navigation and media apps. I try not to do too much email/texting while driving. For those use cases I'm hoping the native Android Automotive apps will work more efficiently than CarPlay. And Polestar says phone-as-a-key should be ready by end of 2020.

Another user mentioned that WhatsApp is a use case since you can only log in from one device in its current config. Seems there must be a resolvable solution around that - like allowing WhatsApp to be installed as an app in Android Automotive, with authentication via a bluetooth/USB linked phone that's already approved.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’ll add the option to use some apps not available on Automotive. Apple Music, for instance, but also calendar and Siri for iMessage. Unfortunately I don’t see Google offering any iCloud integration! That’s why they want the best of both so Google doesn’t lock them in too hard to their ecosystem.

Time will tell, but could also be an insurance policy in case Automotive doesn’t get much app support in the first couple of years until it hits more cars and manufacturers (PSA have said they’ll adopt it from 2023 across their brands).

Don’t deny it’s likely one of the best OS on car to date (from reviews) meaning the mobile OS support to bypass the usually awful in-car systems is less desirable than it will be in other cars, but still reassuring to hear they have at least committed to it.

·
Registered
50 Posts

If you are aiming for wireless CarPlay you should look at someone else of the hundreds of automotive manufacturers that offer CarPlay as the main infotainment base. BMW has done this for over 10 years now. They even banned Android users from their platforms, I watched an interview of the lead designer that said that they think Apple is the future of BMW and had no plans to do anything with Android.... only the last gen of BMWs forced Android in and that with limited functions again.
Polestar is an Android base system. CarPlay will not be enabled before next summer and even then with limited functions. For now, you can connect with Bluetooth and stream calls and music but no casting.
Polestar confirmed on Twitter yesterday that the App (and phone keyless access) will be activated later this year.
With that being said i feel that most people have missed the point with the P2 infotainment system. You do not need a phone other than to forward calls. All the apps everyone is using are native in the car and lots more are coming since Polestar released to the XDA for independent development of apps in August. Thats whats so marvellous about this system. It is fluid, not constricted but the designers weird ideas. You fix it the way YOU want .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts