Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking about some apps I'd love to see available for Polestar:

1) A better route planner available on Android Automotive. Would be very cool to be able to use this in the car and to then send that route over to google maps.
2) Some kind of OBA data tool like 'Scan my Tesla'. Or if not this then something that could show more technical data, battery temp etc. Not sure how easy this would be to create but would be a nice tool to have.

Anyone else got ideas for apps they would love to see?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

Reactions: Bsteen

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
A dash cam app, something that would take your polestar cameras and just stream it to USB storage.
According to Polestar the USB's are wired for charging only, no data transfer.

·
Super Moderator
1,390 Posts
During pickup, I was told the left port - the one with the white circle - is intended for Android Auto which requires data transfer.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
During pickup, I was told the left port - the one with the white circle - is intended for Android Auto which requires data transfer.
Yeah maybe, but no one has had luck trying that port .... so maybe it is and needs some software, however the official response from Polestar is power only.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Does anyone else think it's a shame that there haven't really been any new apps made available for Android Automotive yet? I wasn't necessarily expecting there to be lots available at launch but there's still very few available even after a few months?

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah, it is disappointing there haven't been more new apps showing up. I think there need to be a few more manufacturers using Android Automotive before we see more ports. I may poke around a bit to see how hard a port of an existing Android app would be. Just to have it work on the center display with no use of the actual car capabilities should be pretty simple I would think.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
If you build it, they will come.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,863 Posts
The problem is not so much developing the app, it's getting it onto the car. Google are testing each proposed Android Automotive app themselves before you can get it onto the app store for a car, which is going to slow things down a lot. I understand that the Android Automotive team at Google are now able to get Polestar cars to try things on, so that should speed things up a bit!

What interests me is that on the Polestar Android Automotive simulator, all sorts of interesting variables are available, including charging rate in kW... but I haven't got as far as working out how to access them on the simulator, never mind actually put an app together for Google to check! (Still learning how to write apps...)

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
2021 2
2,563 Posts
I understand that the Android Automotive team at Google are now able to get Polestar cars to try things on, so that should speed things up a bit!
They got the first 25 cars in N America, aside from the showroom and test drive cars, per the Bay Area Space manager.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Also please see future updates thread for list of apps.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Super Moderator
1,353 Posts
Does anyone else think it's a shame that there haven't really been any new apps made available for Android Automotive yet? I wasn't necessarily expecting there to be lots available at launch but there's still very few available even after a few months?
It's Google causing the issue. The APIs provided by Android Automotive are incredibly restricted. Basically just audio consumption apps within a very strict framework.

Until Google provide more APIs - and Polestar update the car to the latest version of Android Automotive - there isn't any other kind of app that could be developed.

What -is- frustrating is that things like Audible are still missing as this is an app that could be easily created.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem is not so much developing the app, it's getting it onto the car. Google are testing each proposed Android Automotive app themselves before you can get it onto the app store for a car, which is going to slow things down a lot. I understand that the Android Automotive team at Google are now able to get Polestar cars to try things on, so that should speed things up a bit!

What interests me is that on the Polestar Android Automotive simulator, all sorts of interesting variables are available, including charging rate in kW... but I haven't got as far as working out how to access them on the simulator, never mind actually put an app together for Google to check! (Still learning how to write apps...)
If you have developer related questions, you can ask them over at Google Groups

You can try out the emulator that is meant for developers over at Test Android apps for cars | Android Developers

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you have developer related questions, you can ask them over at Google Groups

You can try out the emulator that is meant for developers over at Test Android apps for cars | Android Developers
Thanks for the links - I poked around some and there is very good info there for both Java and Kotlin devs with an existing Android app. But I did notice the traffic volume on the Google Group was quite low. Not a good sign unless there is another communication platform for Android Automotive devs.

Anyway, thanks again - hopefully this will help someone who actually has an app suitable for "porting".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts