Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 309 Posts

· Registered
MY22 LRSM Void,Pilot,Plus
787 Posts
I took a test drive on the Gold Coast last week and haven't made a reservation yet but will do once I sort some stuff out with my current car. The guy told me to expect orders to open in Feb with deliveries 6-8 weeks later. So somewhere in April hopefully. What have you guys gone for?

I'm lookin at LR single motor with Pilot pack and towbar. I might add the Plus pack too depending on finances. I would love the nappa leather seats - oh man the nappa leather seats are so comfy - but that might just stretch the budget a little too far.

I'm coming from a Hyundai Ioniq Electric which I love but I want to be able to tow and the Ioniq isn't rated for towing here (it is in other countries).

· Registered
787 Posts
I ordered the standard range single motor with pilot and plus packs because that is really the minimum viable replacement for my current BMW, and intend on the towbar too. The reason I went SR over LR was purely for the Nappa seats.
I totally get that. The car I drove was the dual motor with Pilot, Plus and Performance pack but afterwards I sat in another car with the nappa seats and it just felt so luxurious. Worth the extra if the budget allows. I'm just working out what my budget is before reserving.

· Registered
787 Posts

· Registered
787 Posts
I'd love to get an idea of what the reservation queue is like, do we know if they use sequential reservation numbers? Mine is in the mid 3000's for the last 4 digits.
Good point. Mine is nearer 5,000. I'd be surprised if there were 5,000 reservations - even more surprised if Polestar brought 5,000 cars here this year!

· Registered
787 Posts
Well that actually looks like they may be sequential! They possibly may not be going up by 1s but they aren't allocated randomly but seem to be going up linearly.

@clivem - 2000ish November ??
@Sammy - I'm guessing your last few digits are in the low 3000's??
AusBen - 3500ish Dec 3rd
@Mooch - 5000ish I'm guessing you reserved sometime between the 4th and 15th December?
@lilstevie - 8000ish December 15ish

I did some some media reports saying they had 3000 reservations in the first 3 days which seems to roughly line up with the reservation numbers here if true.
Sorry to break your pattern but mine was only last week ;)

· Registered
787 Posts
I think the others in the list posted earlier will start with 1110 so, assuming they increment by 1, that would make 15,000 reservations as at last week!
Jeez I almost hope you're wrong - for purely selfish reasons of course :D

· Registered
787 Posts
I've wanted an EV for the last 10 years, but I want a nice car that is either a hatch or a compact SUV (dogs + kids + flatpack furniture) and I don't have the budget for a Merc (plus I don't like the look of the EQs anyway 🤣).

So as a Nissan Leaf or an MG ZS don't really appeal, that is literally it for Australia other than the Polestar!
I'm currently in a 2020 Ioniq and it's a great little car. It goes and handles well - it's not fast but obviously it does have that EV acceleration. I wasn't planning on changing from that really until I started looking at a camper trailer.
....and as I was grabbing a coffee and breakfast, this popped up in the email:

View attachment 10593

Looks like things are moving forward.
Got the same. The disturbing thing in there for me is where it says make the final payment and then the car will enter production. Somebody had mentioned previously about paying in full before delivery but I thought it was once delivery was confirmed a week out or similar. Paying all up front and then waiting .... who knows how many weeks .... could be an issue, especially when they are not manaing the trade-in. I guess unless you are using their finance.
Just to add another data point RE the order numbers. We put our reservation in on the 10th (Monday) and our order number is 1111492x. 15k pre-orders is awesome for Polestar, but terrible for those of us who got in late on the reservations.
That's my concern too. I'm a similar number to you and starting to worry I won't get near an order in this round of deliveries. We'll see.
Yeah got mine too, freaking out the orders will open before my test drive on the 31st!!

Really can't decide about the plus pack, I hate the panoramic roofs, but would like the HK sound system and the seats.
I've got a similar roof on my Mini and its just too hot and bright even with extra tint and IR coating, I never draw the shade back on it!
I drove it on a sunny day on the Gold Coast in December and I'll be honest I didn't notice any extra heat or glare.

· Registered
787 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about Polestar finance for Australia? In the launch press coverage I read something about them offering guaranteed future value buyback finance to help alleviate any concerns people had over battery life and transitioning to EVs, but I can't find anything about it now.
I forgot to add. I asked them about finance options or an online finance calculator and got this.
Font Number Document

· Registered
787 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about Polestar finance for Australia? In the launch press coverage I read something about them offering guaranteed future value buyback finance to help alleviate any concerns people had over battery life and transitioning to EVs, but I can't find anything about it now.
I think I saw those things on the UK Polestar site perhaps. I've definitely read the same in their FAQs but there is nothing on the AU site.

· Registered
787 Posts
So I have some new information. I got a follow-up call regarding our test drive, and I asked again about when we'd get the chance to convert our reservations to orders. Apparently they now know that the order books will open "between the middle and end of February" with reservation holders getting access a week earlier.

Pre-configured stock will be available in about 4 weeks, and custom built orders will be about 12 weeks.

I'm unsure if this meant from today's date or once the order books open, but I'm assuming once the order books open.
That's good to know. I wonder how many they will bring here this year? Clearly there is the demand. If all the stars align, some of us will be driving a P2 by the end of March. 🤞

· Registered
787 Posts
Has anyone else got any reservation dates and numbers they are prepared to share?
Please round down your reservation to the nearest 100 though, no need to post full numbers here for privacy sake.

From the seven listed so far it looks too much like a straight line - we need more data!! I would have expected more curves as test drives and marketing campaigns occur.

It's entirely possible the reservation system is padding the numbers up each day so that each day starts from a new 500 or something similar 🤷

View attachment 10800
That does just look a little too perfect doesn't it?

· Registered
787 Posts
I agree the wording was ambiguous but definitely said they wanted full payment before production would begin, which is very different to a week before delivery!!
I read that too but everywhere else says 1 week out.

· Registered
787 Posts
I was told exactly the same thing.
I put in my reservation on 18/12, for a Dual Motor in Void, with Plus, Pilot, & Nappa Packs.
reserve number is 111195xx
So we're at almost 20,000 reservations if these numbers are linear :oops::oops:

Jeez I really hope they aren't. Some of of us will be here until Christmas 2023 at that rate. Mind you, it means there is potentially about $1.5bn in orders begging to be fulfilled. Holy forking shirtballs.

· Registered
787 Posts
For anyone joining this thread, I'd love it if you could share your reservation details (with reservation number rounded down to the nearest 100 to preserve privacy) via this google form:

That should update the chart above in real time 😁
Love your work. Do you want those who have already posted in here to complete the form or will that double up the data?

· Registered
787 Posts
I don't believe Australia is responsible for nearly 20,000 reservations, according to this article Australians bought 5,149 electric cars in 2021 (Not including Tesla). That is a huge jump in sales if it's true (but I hope not lol)

Maybe the reservation numbers are tracked globally?? JP Oz reserved a couple of days after I did and our reservation numbers are 300 odd apart

I hope you're right. I just wonder though - how many countries are reserving vs ordering right now?

Have you seen the order tracking from MotoRidersd? I can't correlate any order / reservation numbers to anything here. Granted this only shows US, UK and Belgium. I'm doing some tinkering to see if I can get anything else out of the API he used.

· Registered
787 Posts
My last digit is non-zero so I don’t think so
Mine too.
That would be great, that way we can get some idea of option and colour popularity which may give us a clue as to what preconfigured ones they may offer.

Don’t worry about double ups, I’ll de-dupe it and it won’t affect the curve anyway.
Done.

· Registered
787 Posts
Their system seems better than how Hyundai handled the Ioniq 5 release in Oz.
‘I gave up on Ioniq 5, & bought a Model 3 LR. I still get Hyundai emails about the next release of stock. No numbers or config details. I still haven’t seen one in the flesh…
Yeah they didn't really do that well at all. Next batch is to be released next week. They are doing it by location so I think it was Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth next week (if you live outside the capitals, forget it). Word is there will be 100 units but it isn't clear if that is per location or total.

I saw one in Brisbane a couple of weeks back. They look great in the flesh. Not quite as big as I imagined.

1 - 20 of 309 Posts