Polestar Forum banner
1,241 - 1,260 of 2,537 Posts
Sorry - haven’t come across anything like that and I run ACC almost every time I get in the car with pilot assist on as well.
thanks Petef, yeah pretty strange, hopefully it's in the one-off bucket

We dont run the car more than 20kms daily, and rarely use the M1 as we work from home, charge it every 4-5 days (30%-90%)
I hope it's a software glitch and not a 12v issue, as all the systems were on, lights, wipers, ACC/Pilot Assist, BSM etc

Hi all

In the Australian deliveries thread, residential wall box chargers have been mentioned quite a bit, with Zappi's, Hypervolts, and even the odd Tesla Gen 2 being brought up by those debating what to install.

My solar installers (who now do EV chargers and whom I highly regard due to their great after-sales service to date) will only supply a Zappi, if I want anything else I need to buy & supply my own. Their supply and install price is reasonable. With single phase limitations, I could probably make do without a Zappi to allocate my solar electrons (i.e. judicious use of timers and looking outside the window to see if the sun is shining) and I might take a few years to make back the extra cost of scheduling oopsies. But the Zappi in theory should be simple to set and forget, and I think with appropriate programming it could allow me to boost charge above the nominal Energex grid limit (by using solar and a little grid top-up) if I ever need to.

In any event, it is decision time - so any feedback about Zappi's in particular and wall chargers in general from those who have had them running for a few months now would be appreciated.

T.I.A.
I have the single phase Zappi v2, hub and solar. I can't recommend it enough, to the point that I now look at my hot water electricity usage on cloudy days and wish I also had an Eddi! Yes you can use timers, which will work to a point on a sunny day, but if it's a bit overcast for example it is a pita and not very efficient.

You are right that Qld limits you to 20A on the main tariff, but you are also right that you can easily adjust that yourself when desperate or it's sunny (just make sure the installer still wires it for 32A).

For an example of what the Zappi is doing you can see below (blue is the zappi, purple the rest of the house, green is solar consumed, yellow is solar exported). No way you can be that good with a timer, or even necessarily know when other appliances are using power. Given how low feed in tariffs are now, I can't imagine it would take long to make back the investment, but of course that will depend on your particular situation.

Font Slope Screenshot Tints and shades Rectangle

World Purple Font Rectangle Magenta

I have an EVSE charger which has no smart functionality, wired in as 3 phase, with 3 phase solar inverter and powerwall. The charger is outside the solar and powerwall setup, so the draw is going to be from the street or the excess after charging the power wall. I wish I had a smart charger which adapted the charge rate to the excess, as on overcast days or even sunny days i control the charge rate using the polestar app and realistically you are not going to match the excess production per Watt or be on top of it like a smart charger would . So i recommend paying the extra coin and getting the smart charger which either communicates directly with the inverter or powerwall or has clamps on the street side feed measuring your draw. (if budget allows it)

Completed a Canberra <-> Melbourne return trip over the weekend just gone.

No issues with the car at all. Pleasure to drive. Only slight observation (I have the full pilot pack) was the lane assistance seemed slightly "off" when keeping in the lane sometimes.

Stopping for charging was interesting. I had created a list (Excel!) of all the 50kW or above chargers along the way, and tried to stop off at a few (much to the annoyance of my family). Some of my thoughts below:
  • the NRMA (free) 50kW charger at Jugiong is a good spot. There's a cafe opposite side of road. Parking at the charger is very slightly difficult, as there's a drain/slope immediately where I needed to park. Overall - a good charging experience. Would stop here again.
  • the NRMA (free) 50kW charger at Holbrook is a good spot. We normally stop here (grab a roll at the bakery), so it worked well with our normal plans. However - this stop seems incredibly popular! On our way down to Melbourne, a Tesla turned up after 5mins, so we only charged for about 25mins before moving on. On our return journey, an older guy wound his window down an inch and informed me he was going to be another hour or so...so we didn't get a chance to use on our return journey. Would stop here again.
  • the Tarcutta Ampol worked well (ultra fast charger), however there's only the servo there and wasn't the best overall stop experience. I also found the Evie chargers (at 0.60c/kW) to be expensive, especially when compared to free! Would try to not stop here again
  • Euroa Coles Express (ultra fast charger, Chargefox, 0.40c/kW). Worked well, and a small food court (with a Maccas) right there. This worked well for our first stop out of Melbourne to get a coffee and charge up a bit. Would stop here again.
  • Avenel (Ampol, ultra fast charger, Evie, 0.60c/kW). Similar to Tarcutta, charger was great however the stop was not the best experience. Would try to not stop here again.
  • Barnawartha North was a real pain. Hard to find chargers (completely separate from all other parking, etc at this large fuel stop) and then both ultra chargers were reporting as out of order. Not a great experience, would try to avoid again.
Some general thoughts:
  • I didn't realise how much the overall "stop experience" would influence my desire to stop at that charging point again. This is very different to re-fuelling an ICE car.
  • I didn't realise how many Teslas there are around Holbrook! (although what a benefit - free 50kW charging if you're a local)
  • I didn't anticipate how much extra time charging would add to our overall end-to-end journey time. Our return journey is a better indicator, with our total elapsed journey time increasing from the usual 7hrs to 8hrs....although stopping in Holbrook for lunch and not being able to charge at same time hurt us here

Thanks everyone for comments on the chargers, some great points. One in particular prompted me to check how much excess solar I actually have, so I quickly rustled up a spreadsheet of a years worth of export data. Probably a little less spare than I expected, so I need to harvest them electrons carefully and efficiently, and in summer, nice and early in the day before the aircon starts guzzling them up. That is steering me to the Zappi, which I think should give me a reasonable payback period, and if it fails in that time, so be it.

Hi all

In the Australian deliveries thread, residential wall box chargers have been mentioned quite a bit, with Zappi's, Hypervolts, and even the odd Tesla Gen 2 being brought up by those debating what to install.

My solar installers (who now do EV chargers and whom I highly regard due to their great after-sales service to date) will only supply a Zappi, if I want anything else I need to buy & supply my own. Their supply and install price is reasonable. With single phase limitations, I could probably make do without a Zappi to allocate my solar electrons (i.e. judicious use of timers and looking outside the window to see if the sun is shining) and I might take a few years to make back the extra cost of scheduling oopsies. But the Zappi in theory should be simple to set and forget, and I think with appropriate programming it could allow me to boost charge above the nominal Energex grid limit (by using solar and a little grid top-up) if I ever need to.

In any event, it is decision time - so any feedback about Zappi's in particular and wall chargers in general from those who have had them running for a few months now would be appreciated.

T.I.A.
I have a Zappi and it's great. I use the Eco+ mode usually which just goes up and down with the exact amount of excess solar being produced. It's amazing. I did end up buying the Hub add-on in order to get wifi access and ability to control it via an app. I think the next version of the Zappi will have wifi built-in.

Our electricity is with Amber Electric which has been a bit of a wild ride over the last few months but prices have now settled. In the early days of owning the P*2 I used to charge up to 90% as soon as I could but I now tend to charge the car only when the solar FIT is very low.

I have a Zappi and it's great. I use the Eco+ mode usually which just goes up and down with the exact amount of excess solar being produced. It's amazing. I did end up buying the Hub add-on in order to get wifi access and ability to control it via an app. I think the next version of the Zappi will have wifi built-in.
Thanks - my Zappi install is scheduled for the 21st. More tech to learn !

And my Wallbox three phase 22kW is being installed by JetCharge next week. I’ll report back on how this goes!

And my Wallbox three phase 22kW is being installed by JetCharge next week. I’ll report back on how this goes!
Ooooh, look at Mr Turbo Charge with 2 extra phases and 22 kW of pure charging power⚡;)

Don't mind me, I'm just jealous and the economics and my particular usage case of fairly low mileage in general does not cover my rewiring my house to 3 phase to enable this.

Ooooh, look at Mr Turbo Charge with 2 extra phases and 22 kW of pure charging power⚡;)

Don't mind me, I'm just jealous and the economics and my particular usage case of fairly low mileage in general does not cover my rewiring my house to 3 phase to enable this.
Well luckily I already have three phase in the house as the previous owner was a sparky and ran his business from home. Otherwise I would not be paying to have three phase brought in from the street! 😊

Reactions: FarOut
I have a three phase house but didn't even see the value of paying the extra for the unit. Even if the P*2 could consume the full 22kw, mine is currently being charged nightly (to support battery preconditioning) at 7kw for a period of just 1.5 hours.

A while back when the weather was a bit warmer I drove from Terrigal to Canberra and had about 16% battery left (from 100% at start). On the return trip, which always seems easier I had 26% battery left when I reached Terrigal. I usually have cruise control set on about 112kph.

I quite regularly drive from Sydney to Canberra. I tend to get about 21kwh/100 heading down to CBR and about 17 on the return journey. I generally stop at Goulburn or Sutton Forrest for top up, and have never had to wait.

Thanks all. Looking at making the trip in October for work. Biggest headache it seems will be charging in Canberra, seems pretty light on unfortunately.
Whereabouts are you located whilst here in CBR? I’m sure a few of us could point you in the right direction….although probably just reiterating what’s in PlugShare.
(e.g. the single charging option available in the car park near London Circuit is a good evening option. Grab a bite to eat nearby - few good options available - and back to your charged car)

Also on my recent trip to Melbourne, the hotel where I stayed had power points near certain car spaces - the hotel reception wasn’t aware until we looked….and turned out perfect for us. Car was on charge for 24hrs, ready for trip back home.

1,241 - 1,260 of 2,537 Posts