Polestar Forum banner
1,301 - 1,320 of 2,537 Posts
Best I managed was 0kWh/100km over a 41km journey.

This was coming down the range from Toowoomba. In fact the number should have been in the negative but the GoM only goes down to zero.

• Wow
Reactions: Bramsy
BTW I'm getting zero consumption out of my car at the moment. She dead.

Jeez they are some lists! Mine was much shorter when I was still in the market to upgrade my Ioniq EV:
My list ...

Polestar 2

I thought these were lists of spotted cars 🤣

My list of spotted cars is too long to work out 😂 I think at this point, if its available, I've seen it on the roads, with the exception of the Atto 3, I've only seen that at the Dandenong experience centre from outside.

BTW I'm getting zero consumption out of my car at the moment. She dead.

Oh man. That is not good at all. I get the feeling that the error message is more of a catch all error. I sometimes do that when I am feeling especially lazy in my day to day job. Maybe that is why it is harder for Polestar to find the root cause of the issue and fix it properly.

Oh man. That is not good at all. I get the feeling that the error message is more of a catch all error. I sometimes do that when I am feeling especially lazy in my day to day job. Maybe that is why it is harder for Polestar to find the root cause of the issue and fix it properly.
I think you're right about it being a catch all. From all the reading I've done on the specific symptoms, it seems like it is the battery management unit. To replace it means dropping the entire battery out.

No update from Polestar which shouldn't really come as a surprise. They called me yesterday to say they had no loan cars and that they had rung around all the car rental joints and there was nothing in town. I did a couple of scans myself and yep - absolutely nothing in town except for a builder's ute in Rocklea. Then I got a message today that there will be a car available for me tomorrow. Which at least means I will have a car but confirms it won't be mine.

Reactions: sarcastyx
From all the reading I've done on the specific symptoms, it seems like it is the battery management unit. To replace it means dropping the entire battery out.

No update from Polestar which shouldn't really come as a surprise. They called me yesterday to say they had no loan cars and that they had rung around all the car rental joints and there was nothing in town. I did a couple of scans myself and yep - absolutely nothing in town except for a builder's ute in Rocklea. Then I got a message today that there will be a car available for me tomorrow. Which at least means I will have a car but confirms it won't be mine.
Dropping the battery is not going to be easy or quick I reckon. I think you are this first in Aus to have this issue - correct me if I'm wrong - and it sucks having to be the guinea pig for the heavy duty maintenance.

The Europcar depot parking in the Valley is always pretty full.....and was still full this morning if that's of any use. Although if you/Polestar were asking for an open-ended rental that could be another story altogether.

Dropping the battery is not going to be easy or quick I reckon. I think you are this first in Aus to have this issue - correct me if I'm wrong - and it sucks having to be the guinea pig for the heavy duty maintenance.

The Europcar depot parking in the Valley is always pretty full.....and was still full this morning if that's of any use. Although if you/Polestar were asking for an open-ended rental that could be another story altogether.
A guy in Brisbane had the exact same thing with an XC40 earlier this year - 36hrs of ownership and the car is broken - so I can only hope that somebody learned from this. He was off the road a couple of months so I really really hope somebody learned from this.

Good news! I have the car back. Basically all they have done is reset the computer and charged the 12v battery. So it's a bit disturbing that a) the 12v battery can go flat when the traction battery has >70% in it and b) that it basically kills the car while driving with barely any notice.

I'm looking at getting a bluetooth battery monitor so I can monitor charge from my phone. It's odd that you can't do this from the car itself.

Good news! I have the car back. Basically all they have done is reset the computer and charged the 12v battery. So it's a bit disturbing that a) the 12v battery can go flat when the traction battery has >70% in it and b) that it basically kills the car while driving with barely any notice.

I'm looking at getting a bluetooth battery monitor so I can monitor charge from my phone. It's odd that you can't do this from the car itself.
What happened to the 12v battery? Had the car not been used for sometime? Do you have something attached to it that could drain the 12v battery? Curious……

From what I understand the 12v only charges from when the car is "on" (driven or when pre-cooling/heating) not constantly, this is true of a number of EV makers at least from a few discussions I saw on the subject. I've seen reference & recommendations to get one of those jumper batteries as it seems to be an issue for many electric cars that need to draw from the 12v for comms/managing the scheduled charging etc.
Not sure if any of that is true of Polestar however, but here's a thread discussing the same thing for Tesla if you're curious 12v Trickle Charge needed?

If the Polestar setup is same or similar logic, they only really get a decent charge when you are making use of the car regularly.

What happened to the 12v battery? Had the car not been used for sometime? Do you have something attached to it that could drain the 12v battery? Curious……
No the car gets used most days. The one thing I realised though is that I was at a show and tell on Saturday afternoon with the trailer. I left the trailer attached and the car was sat for several hours with doors open, boot open and the screen lighting up every time somebody jumped in the seat. I drove home from there and parked the car, plugged it in to charge on timer but forgot to change the timer. I wanted to be at 100% at 9am to leave but the timer only started at 730am (I normally have it set to precondition before I head to work). So I left home with about 72% from memory and headed down the highway. I got from Wynnum to Ormeau before it failed.

From what I understand the 12v only charges from when the car is "on" (driven or when pre-cooling/heating) not constantly, this is true of a number of EV makers at least from a few discussions I saw on the subject. I've seen reference & recommendations to get one of those jumper batteries as it seems to be an issue for many electric cars that need to draw from the 12v for comms/managing the scheduled charging etc.
Not sure if any of that is true of Polestar however, but here's a thread discussing the same thing for Tesla if you're curious 12v Trickle Charge needed?

If the Polestar setup is same or similar logic, they only really get a decent charge when you are making use of the car regularly.
I'm trying to figure out exactly how and when the 12v batt charges and haven't got there yet.

So update. I brought the car home earlier, all good. I had to go out tonight so I got in the car put it into park and ... it didn't 'start'. Tried again, nothing. Paused for a second to process what the hell was going on, tried again and it worked. Very odd. Came back to the car tonight and it would not go into gear and start. Kept showing System Check and Pull lever all the way back to start. I tried this I don't know, maybe 15 times. Got out, locked it, got back in and tried again. I read up some comments that suggested this was related to the 12v system (which makes sense) and some saying it relates to keys. I always use the big fob so this seems unlikely.

So tomorrow I am going to run some tests on the 12v and get back on to Polestar. I wonder if running the battery flat on the weekend has killed it.

So tomorrow I am going to run some tests on the 12v and get back on to Polestar. I wonder if running the battery flat on the weekend has killed it.
Is there a way to recharge the battery though? I didn't get this battery monitoring kit because I thought it wouldn't solve my problem if the battery was indeed flat. I guess it would help understanding how/ when the battery charges up.

Is there a way to recharge the battery though?
TLDR; some vid where a guy talks about jumping a Polestar;

NB I know nothing and am just some random dude on the internet with too much time on my hands, aka may be better to talk to P* support...

From what I can see it's a H6 AGM style battery per the manual Pure progressive performance | Polestar
SO that means you need a charger or a jump start

Now, assuming you want to trickle charge it back to health, you'll need something that supports AGM chemistry, it should be written in the specs of any charger, link for example not a recommendation SCA 6V/12V 6 Amp 7 Stage Battery Charger note the "chemisty types" section in the specs. Meaning it will have an AGM mode for charging.

Alternately "Jumpers" should work to boot all the computers etc to get the car operating again, seems that this has been a common problem for Tesla's as well. The main car battery will charge the 12v again (in theory) when a driver is in the seat or "started" but you should be able to see that with your testing rig. If completely flat you may want to charge it for at least a few hours.

It's quite a technical video but here's more on AGM & charging/testing them; only watch if you like the details.

Example of how to jump using this general overview of "Jump starting an EV".

Not sure whether anyone else has posted this ... but whilst I was going through the handover I asked about the Öhlins damper settings and the default settings (i.e. what the car is setup without handover) are different in Australia than those specified in the manual ...

Australian (Default) Setting: 11 Front / 14 Rear

Yay. I can finally post something on this topic as an owner and not just a lurker. Picked this up yesterday evening.
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Hood

The 2 beauties chilling together in the parking lot:
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Man the car is quiet and so much smoother over the bumps than the BMW. The 19" wheels definitely the better choice than the 20's.

And as for efficiency (sorry about the rubbish image, got into a coughing fit just as I was taking this photo. Thought I got it better than this):
Font Gadget Display device Multimedia Screenshot

Pretty happy with the efficiency considering when I got the car the TM average was at 66.7kWh/100km and TA was 333kWh/100km. Not sure how they managed that in the 9km that the car had driven.

Yay. I can finally post something on this topic as an owner and not just a lurker. Picked this up yesterday evening.
View attachment 17716

The 2 beauties chilling together in the parking lot:
View attachment 17717

Man the car is quiet and so much smoother over the bumps than the BMW. The 19" wheels definitely the better choice than the 20's.

And as for efficiency (sorry about the rubbish image, got into a coughing fit just as I was taking this photo. Thought I got it better than this):
View attachment 17718
Pretty happy with the efficiency considering when I got the car the TM average was at 66.7kWh/100km and TA was 333kWh/100km. Not sure how they managed that in the 9km that the car had driven.
Congratulations chief!! Looks fantastic ... so please for you ... after everything ... enjoy the car!!

1,301 - 1,320 of 2,537 Posts