Polestar Forum banner
1901 - 1920 of 1947 Posts

· Registered
972 Posts
I installed 2.4 on the loaner last week. Have been out for a ~450km drive today and charged on a 350kW charger (started at about 45% SoC and started charging at 138kW, then dropped to 88kW for the remainder). It seems if you precondition by setting the charger as destination in GPS, you almost always get a good rate at the start of charging.
Yeah it was just that charger. Are you still on a loaner? How bad is the problem on your car?

· Registered
MY23, LRDM, Magnesium, Pilot/Plus
33 Posts
Had the car 7 months and love it. Today is the first time I am concerned by something going wrong. I left the car outside while at lunch. Forgot to precondition the cab, but on returning I found the screen unresponsive (I believe it was overheating) which meant I had no cooling. Luckily I wasn't too far from home and the reset seems to have fixed it now. But I am not impressed that it couldn't cope with the heat. Yes it's hot, but this is poor. Is it going to happen every time I leave my car in the open in summer?
My Polestar is replacing a Volvo S60. In the Volvo, when the temp gets over 30, the reverse camera starts to flicker. Over 35, it stops working. Yep ... designed for the snow! You'll get used to it. A sunshade will be your friend!

· Registered
MY22 LRSM Void,Pilot,Plus
782 Posts
Yeah it was just that charger. Are you still on a loaner? How bad is the problem on your car?
Yeah still in the loaner. Haven't driven my car for about 11 weeks now. Just spoke to Volvo and they said they are currently de-energising the HV battery so they can drop it tomorrow to replace the sensor. Then they have to vacuum seal and test everything. I told them I'd rather get the car back next week than they rush it to get it out the door on a Friday. But I'm keeping absolutely everything crossed that this is it now.

· Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, LRSM, Pilot & Plus
82 Posts
Does anyone know where to get a sun shade for the panoramic roof? I am finding the summer sun a bit annoying at the front of the roof, and have taken to wearing a cap to minimise the glare. Preferably I'd love to have a sliding cover, that I can simply slide into place when required. I see there are similar things for the Tesla, but I can't find anything for the PS2. I put my name down for the Polestar shade, but I figure that's like watching grass grow....

· Registered
MY22 Void SRSM Pilot/Plus/Leather
1,461 Posts
I thought they were using Delta units.
they were originally, but they settled on the ABB Terra184 units.

At least they are better than the Tritium units that Chargefox use and are constantly broken.
I don’t think everyone would agree, Bjørn Nyland calls them “Always Be Broken”. The problem with the Tritium units isn’t that they’re unreliable, it’s the management of them. Europe’s “reliability index” of chargers puts networks using tritium units near the top. Although I do think it will be interesting to see some kempower units in operation here as they in theory should be even more reliable

· Registered
MY23 P2 SRSM Thunder w/Pilot Lite & Plus
106 Posts
....they settled on the ABB Terra184 units.

I don’t think everyone would agree, Bjørn Nyland calls them “Always Be Broken”. The problem with the Tritium units isn’t that they’re unreliable, it’s the management of them. Europe’s “reliability index” of chargers puts networks using tritium units near the top. Although I do think it will be interesting to see some kempower units in operation here as they in theory should be even more reliable
I've always wondered. What exactly is it that causes unreliability with those type of units. Is it how they get used (incorrectly or otherwise), the various types of cars that they are connected to, or the level of maintenance that they actually require?

· Registered
1,461 Posts
I've always wondered. What exactly is it that causes unreliability with those type of units. Is it how they get used (incorrectly or otherwise), the various types of cars that they are connected to, or the level of maintenance that they actually require?
Fast charging stresses everything, including the power electronics that are in a fast charger. The short version is often the designs of these units run the power rectifiers within an inch of their lives, so you need to have spares on hand to swap them out as required. Our networks do not keep spares and struggle to get them from Tritium when they go bad.

the other factor is however vandalism. People love for whatever reason breaking the screens on the PK350 units.

The former is why in theory the kempower units should be better. They’re not stressing the power electronics as hard (they’ll still be stressed though) but more importantly they’re modular units, and the powered electronics are shared across all handles, so if one is out they can just rebalance the load across the remaining units

· Registered
Black PS2 SRSM
146 Posts
Just travelled from QLD through NSW on the Pacific Hwy to VIC.
So relaxing driving on a dual carriageway all the way.
The charging stations were all busy with one or two cars waiting to charge at most of them.
To kill time while waiting I stared playing comparison games with other waiting ev drivers
It's amazing how keen ev drivers are to show their cars.
Wheel Cloud Tire Car Sky

I like the rear roof spoiler on the C40.
It looks like an engine cowl that Lamborghini would use.

· Registered
Thunder LRSM Pilot/Plus - CBR
244 Posts
My Polestar is replacing a Volvo S60. In the Volvo, when the temp gets over 30, the reverse camera starts to flicker. Over 35, it stops working. Yep ... designed for the snow! You'll get used to it. A sunshade will be your friend!
So I bought myself an umbrella sunshade (something I didn't even know existed) and it fits a treat. When you put it down it is just the size of a small closed umbrella so can just put in door / glove box.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood Grille

· Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, LRSM, Pilot & Plus
82 Posts
yeah looks like, thats brutal. my apologies, havent used them myself just knew they sold geniune parts for the polestar.
:). I might pass on that. A friend has just got either a Volvo C40 or an XC40 (can’t remember which) and it has an electric sun shade for its roof. it looks great, and is available at the press of a button. I’d love something like that. I’ll keep looking….

· Registered
1,461 Posts
:). I might pass on that. A friend has just got either a Volvo C40 or an XC40 (can’t remember which) and it has an electric sun shade for its roof. it looks great, and is available at the press of a button. I’d love something like that. I’ll keep looking….
If it’s got the electric shade it’s the XC40, the C40 has the same glass roof as us

· Registered
MY23, LRDM, Magnesium, Pilot/Plus
33 Posts
Hi all

Looking to go camping and want to be able to charge the car off the caravan 15amp plugs.

can anyone recommend an adaptor to step it from 15 to 10amp so I can use my granny charger?

cheers
As in plug the Polestar into the 15A power supplies that caravan parks provide?
Unless I am mistaken (not familiar with caravan park 15A sockets), the 10A granny charger should fit into a 15A socket. The only difference between them is the size of the earth/ground pin, which is bigger on a 15A circuit to prevent you plugging the 15A cable into a 10A socket. But the other way around (10A into a 15A) fits fine.
That being said, whilst it fits, no idea if caravan parks allow it ??

1901 - 1920 of 1947 Posts