Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had a tale of woe until I got a small chip in my otherwise perfect windscreen. Measured it and took it to Autoglass to get replaced. They told me that I needed a whole new windscreen due to size and position. Before I booked it in I made sure that the centre I was using had done this before on a Polestar 2. Yes, they assured me, they have replaced multiple ones before.

Took it back today and thats when the issues started. To replace a windscreen they first need to check they can recalibrate the cameras etc. Unfortunately they could not connect to some central system to run some diagnostic checks so they couldn't change the windscreen. The person dealt with at Autoglass was helpful in the sense of explaining the issue. Interestingly he had given up trying to talk to their tech support team after being on hold for 45 mins! He did say that it was possibly related to it being a newer (MY22) car.

But...instead of a small chip in the windscreen I now have a large crack because they put the car in a hot room from a -4 degree outside temperature. So they gave me the car back much worse than I left it :(

They told me I have to book it into a large centre as those centres have the right equipment (and presumably a better connection to the central servers). Their first offer was 2 weeks away. After some 'discussions' we have agreed a date in a week. Don't have much faith it will be fixed then TBH.

I should also say all the people at autoglass were very pleasant and helpful (as much as they could be) but as a company they are not great with anything complicated, it would appear.

So my recommendation is, if you have to use Autoglass (and I do for insurance purposes) then book into a 'major' centre, particularly if you have a MY22 car (as that seems to be an issue).

Would be interested in hearing other peoples experiences with Autoglass or others.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I got a chip, took it to an auto glass place where they tried to repair it using a vacuum injection process. It ended up much better, but there's still a small crack visible. I'm able to just deal with it for now.

Replacing windshields in all modern cars is complicated now, particularly because of modules and calibration. My wife's car (BMW X3) has never been right since a replacement. I have faith things will be getting better soon, but I sympathize.

I looked at getting some sort of windshield protection film... they exist... but the place I trust says the films don't hold up to wiper wear yet.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have not had a tale of woe until I got a small chip in my otherwise perfect windscreen. Measured it and took it to Autoglass to get replaced. They told me that I needed a whole new windscreen due to size and position. Before I booked it in I made sure that the centre I was using had done this before on a Polestar 2. Yes, they assured me, they have replaced multiple ones before.

Took it back today and thats when the issues started. To replace a windscreen they first need to check they can recalibrate the cameras etc. Unfortunately they could not connect to some central system to run some diagnostic checks so they couldn't change the windscreen. The person dealt with at Autoglass was helpful in the sense of explaining the issue. Interestingly he had given up trying to talk to their tech support team after being on hold for 45 mins! He did say that it was possibly related to it being a newer (MY22) car.

But...instead of a small chip in the windscreen I now have a large crack because they put the car in a hot room from a -4 degree outside temperature. So they gave me the car back much worse than I left it :(

They told me I have to book it into a large centre as those centres have the right equipment (and presumably a better connection to the central servers). Their first offer was 2 weeks away. After some 'discussions' we have agreed a date in a week. Don't have much faith it will be fixed then TBH.

I should also say all the people at autoglass were very pleasant and helpful (as much as they could be) but as a company they are not great with anything complicated, it would appear.

So my recommendation is, if you have to use Autoglass (and I do for insurance purposes) then book into a 'major' centre, particularly if you have a MY22 car (as that seems to be an issue).

Would be interested in hearing other peoples experiences with Autoglass or others.
Whatever you do check out @dave post regarding a piece of trim that was broken when he had his windscreen replaced. I’d want to watch them change mine and to ensure they don’t break the trim.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Persnally, I'd go to a Volvo dealership who have all the correct equipment and know-how. They can be more expensive but you get a proper job done.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
2,193 Posts
Persnally, I'd go to a Volvo dealership who have all the correct equipment and know-how. They can be more expensive but you get a proper job done.
But you would pay the full cost yourself rather than the just the excess (usually £60’ish) if you go through your insurance.
Knowing what I know now however, I would bite the bullet & go to Volvo. In my experience that wouldn’t guarantee a perfect job, but it would be easier to pin down who is to blame.

·
Registered
237 Posts
All my insurance work has always been carried out at Volvo (for my Volvo at least, I've not had any claims with the Polestar) they always try to make to me go to other places like their "authorised repairers" and I just say no, I want a genuine Volvo repair. They have always allowed it. Granted, never had a cracked windscreen, but I would demand that Volvo repair mine if it happened.

Edit - I'm with Admiral and if you go to a non-Volvo repair shop for example, you'll get non-Volvo colour "matched" paint as opposed to paint from the actual batch your car was sprayed with. It's for those reasons I only get dealership repairs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a chip, took it to an auto glass place where they tried to repair it using a vacuum injection process. It ended up much better, but there's still a small crack visible. I'm able to just deal with it for now.

Replacing windshields in all modern cars is complicated now, particularly because of modules and calibration. My wife's car (BMW X3) has never been right since a replacement. I have faith things will be getting better soon, but I sympathize.

I looked at getting some sort of windshield protection film... they exist... but the place I trust says the films don't hold up to wiper wear yet.
I agree. Thats what I wanted but because of its position they said it had to be a replacement. I agree it's complicated. My issue is that I should have been sent to the main centre in the first instance then that would have been better. And i am sure that, over time, this will get better. Interestingly the tech guy said if I had a Ford I would be in real trouble as they had no spare windscreens for them!

On the subject of Volvo. Its £800 to have a windscreen replaced versus £100 from insurance.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
All my insurance work has always been carried out at Volvo (for my Volvo at least, I've not had any claims with the Polestar) they always try to make to me go to other places like their "authorised repairers" and I just say no, I want a genuine Volvo repair. They have always allowed it. Granted, never had a cracked windscreen, but I would demand that Volvo repair mine if it happened.

Edit - I'm with Admiral and if you go to a non-Volvo repair shop for example, you'll get non-Volvo colour "matched" paint as opposed to paint from the actual batch your car was sprayed with. It's for those reasons I only get dealership repairs.
Some insurers allow it but most policies now have a clause stating all repairs must be at authorised repairers. My own policy charges an extra excess of £200 to use a non authorised repairer e.g. Volvo, I’d happily pay that for an accident but maybe not for a windscreen replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I did try that but they said No (I am with Admiral as well). I did point out that if Volvo then had to fix the cameras etc I would not be paying but they are "confident" that Autoglass know what they are doing! We will see.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor Launch Edition 2021 - Void
712 Posts
I call bullshit on this. I'm not a 100% sure, and it's just my feeling, but I don't think anything changed in this regard between the MY21 and MY22.

If I get a cracked windshield, my lease company will tell me where I have to go. I have no clue what they will do. As I have a different lease company for this car, it all seems to work different. My previous lease company would sent me to the local dealer to get my summer/winter tires. My current one sends me to a tire shop to get this done. But I would expect it's either Carglass or Autotaalglas as those are the two biggest ones here.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Volvo dealer told me that polestar requires OE glass because of all the sensors. Warranty is supposedly void for future issues with them if you go non-OE for the glass.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Autoglass got it 8x wrong for when we had a Mercedes GLS 4x of that was them sending the same stupid wrong windscreen on the van as it was checked back in each time it was rejected as the correct one. Twice for sending out only one person to try and fit it, and bingo the new one cracked. They got one that was fitted, connected and didn't crack but them the wipers didn't work. In the end they installed an original Mercedes-AMG one and bingo first time it worked and fitted. Nice guys but stupid company in how it operates for luxury cars.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Some insurers allow it but most policies now have a clause stating all repairs must be at authorised repairers. My own policy charges an extra excess of £200 to use a non authorised repairer e.g. Volvo, I’d happily pay that for an accident but maybe not for a windscreen replacement.
Ah yes, that rings a bell - in actual fact I think you pay the excess until they are able to claim it back from the other (at fault) party. Thats's what I did although I never paid anything I just agreed to pay it if they couldn't get the money from the other party which they did. So if it is not a no-fault claim maybe you have to pay it. I'd still do that though. I don't trust garages that don't work on the same cars day in day out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Volvo dealer told me that polestar requires OE glass because of all the sensors. Warranty is supposedly void for future issues with them if you go non-OE for the glass.
Another reason to always get repairs done at an authorised dealership - no warranty issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
No main dealer (for any manufacturer) as far as I'm aware does glass replacement. You take your car to a main dealer for glass replacement, and out the back, autoglass or auto windscreens or whoever will turn up and do it.

You're guaranteed OE glass though, and you know the sensors etc will have been calibrated properly afterwards.

I doubt non-OE glass is even a thing for the PS2 - it's too niche for them to bother yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No main dealer (for any manufacturer) as far as I'm aware does glass replacement. You take your car to a main dealer for glass replacement, and out the back, autoglass or auto windscreens or whoever will turn up and do it.

You're guaranteed OE glass though, and you know the sensors etc will have been calibrated properly afterwards.

I doubt non-OE glass is even a thing for the PS2 - it's too niche for them to bother yet.
??? So they do it then. 🤣 I mean I take my car to a dealer ship and they replace the glass there and then, do the calibration routine in the workshop and I drive off. How is that not the dealer going glass replacement?

·
Registered
359 Posts
??? So they do it then. 🤣 I mean I take my car to a dealer ship and they replace the glass there and then, do the calibration routine in the workshop and I drive off. How is that not the dealer going glass replacement?
It's usually subcontracted out. Some dealers DO have staff that replace glass, but not most of them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts