Polestar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Performance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would be nice if the set speed of the autopilot was able to change automatically according the traffic sign recognition.
And that this automatic setting is configurable, ON or OFF and with an + or - offset 0, 5, 10.

So when driving an a road with speed limit 90 km/h, I set my autopilot set speed at 95 km/h. When there is suddenly a traffic sign with a speed limit of 70 km/h, I change the set speed of the auto pilot to 75 km/h while the auto pilot remains on, just by ticking 4 clicks down on the set speed (4x 5km/h).

Buy it would be nice if the car was so intelligent to be able to change the set speed automatically to 75 km/h based on the traffic sign resignation system reading the speed limit sign of 70 km/h.
Because when I miss that speed limit sign of 70 km/h, I (the autopilot) will continue at 95 km/h....

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
I think that would be great, if it read road speed signs reliably. However given how poor the road sign recognition appears to be, it could have you jamming the brakes on from high speed without warning or doing 60mph through a 30mph zone!

I believe the Mercedes EQC has this feature so presumably its ability to read road signs is rather better than the Polestar 2's...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think it would be nice if the set speed of the autopilot was able to change automatically according the traffic sign recognition.
The dynamic cruise control on my Audi used to do that pretty reliably. I assumed that Polestar’s ASL (auto speed limiter) function would combine with the ACC (auto cruise control) to give you this, but it doesn’t. You are forced to use either ASL or ACC. I miss it, and can’t quite work out why they can’t work together (flaky sign recognition aside!)

Reactions: KRS

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Volvo V90 has that feature so it should be possible (although does not have the offset option which would be a bonus).
Interestingly though, never had a problem with road sign recognition in the Volvo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My XC90 had that function including the overlimit offset. It’s the same equipment in the P2 so I guess it’s in the box somewhere? Just need to find how to dig it out!

·
Registered
Soon: Void
11 Posts
My Taycan had that “feature”. It relied on two sources of date: the camera and speed limit data in the Nav database. One several occasions it would think the speed limit had changed... but there were no signs indicating such.

Imagine you are driving behind me on a highway (maybe a touch too close), and for no reason I slow from 70mph to 50.

I turned off the “feature”. Unreliable data is worse than no data. And potentially dangerous.

Also, some states use a different font for the printed signs, causing my camera to read 80 as 60mph. And the illuminated, variable speed signs aren’t read at all.

Some things are still better interpreted by the human behind the wheel. For now.

·
Registered
California
603 Posts
(Trigger Warning: The Car Company That Should Not Be Named)

Tesla does this even for basic ACC. Up until a few months ago, it relied solely on Tesla’s map-based data. It was pretty good about not shifting around while on the highway, but detecting when you’ve begun to exit the highway via off ramps. It slows somewhat gradually.

It’s an option, of course, so you can choose to:
  • Disable (just stay at chosen speed)
  • Fixed amount above/below speed limit (eg always speed limit +5mph)
  • Relative amount above/below speed limit.
I use the latter, which means when I start ACC it’ll note how much above/below current limit I am and keep using that as the speed limit changes.

Recently Tesla added better speed limit sign recognition via cameras (in the US at least), so they now use that in addition to the road data. This means it’s been better about noticing temporary construction speed limit changes, and it’s noticeably better at adjusting speed right at the speed limit signs as opposed to roughly around it. It has once or twice picked up a “truck” speed limit that it should not have. But overall I’ve been impressed. I’m pretty skeptical of many things from Tesla, but this works better than I expected.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts