Polestar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the AVAS can be turned off for UK cars? I live in the country and leave at 4am - that sound is definitely going to wake the dogs! It's a deal breaker for me if I can't turn it off..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are used to my ice car: but the strangeness of the AVAS sound will surely alert them.. I guess over time they’ll get used to it. However since I can buy another car without the compulsory AVAS I’m cancelling my order & buying an iPace. Thanks for the thoughts & enjoy your cars when you get them!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - thanks for that. I will/would be more than happy to turn on the space age sound when in town - I just need the choice to not have it on when I leave home and another place which is very quiet and surrounded by dogs and neighbours. I think the government(s) are not really thinking through the long term implication of allowing every EV manufacturer to come up with their own sounds: this could become a horribly discordant cacophony that will not help those it is supposed to! Far better would be to equipment cars with automatic braking/warning at slow speeds when it senses a pedestrian.. technology that already exists.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Ipace has AVAS and it cannot be switch off either, as it will be for all EVs since 1st July 2019
I’m guessing, but I suspect that disabling AVAS would be illegal

·
Registered
48 Posts
They are used to my ice car: but the strangeness of the AVAS sound will surely alert them.. I guess over time they’ll get used to it. However since I can buy another car without the compulsory AVAS I’m cancelling my order & buying an iPace. Thanks for the thoughts & enjoy your cars when you get them!
That’s what I did as different aspects of the Polestar got me nervous. I’m sure the Polestar will be a great car, but I couldn’t deal with the level of uncertainty surrounding it.

After 4 weeks of I-Pace ownership, I‘m confident you’ll love the Jag much as I do. It’s the best car I’ve ever driven, including my Tesla Model S that I traded. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ken,
I can see you went through the same process I did, but in the end opted for a car which now has a 3 yr track record and hopefully has the bugs ironed out.. Did you buy s/h or new? I am thinking of looking for a MY19 car.. & hopefully can turn off the sound.. although the folks on the iPace forum don't seem to be bothered by it . I am moving from a Discovery Sport, so in many ways would prefer to stick with the elevated driving position afforded by the iPace over the Polestar.. Of course it's frustrating not to be able to test drive the Polestar... The other option is to wait for the Tesla Model Y, but that seems a long way off in the UK.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Cineman,
I bought a new 2019 SE that was $20,000 off of MSRP! It was an incredible deal for a brand new I-Pace. Many dealers are now offering similar deals. In addition, they actually gave me more than I asked for on my trade.

As for the mandated sound, it's really very innocuous and hard to hear. That's probably why I've never seen anyone complain about it. My Tesla Model S had a louder sound. FWIW, I've seen a couple of comparisons of the I-Pace with the Model Y and reviewers seemed to prefer the I-Pace. Of course that doesn't mean much as these things are so subjective. One thing that is very apparent with the Model Y, it has many fit & finish issues. My I-Pace was perfect and has absolutely zero rattles which drove me nuts on my Model S.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here in the UK there are no deals like that happening... yet, but I have noticed s/h prices slipping a little. Great to know you like the car so much: I do a lot of motorway driving, so range has been an issue & wind/tyre noise seems to get mixed reviews - one of the things that attracted me to the idea of the Polestar - good range and supposedly quiet at motorway speeds.. Anyhow, for today I am veering towards the iPace, but who knows what tomorrow will bring..
Cheers,
Oliver S.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oliver, absolutely no wind noise at any speed I've seen (up to 75mph). On the I-Pace forum I haven't heard of any wind noise complaints. Tire noise can be heard on certain types of road surfaces, but I had that with my Model S too, so I'm used to it. Nothing is as quiet in terms of insulation from road noise as my wife's Lexus ES300h. But overall I'd consider the I-Pace a quiet car and quieter than my Tesla was.

BTW, on my current full charge on the I-Pace, I seem to be getting about 258-260 miles in mixed highway & local driving. On my last full charge I got almost exactly 250 miles. So I'm certainly exceeding the EPA estimate which I think is conservative. Jaguar also freed up some range in a recent software update much like Tesla had done with some of their cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you are on commission from Jaguar.. just kidding! Most Model S owners rave about their cars.. so it's interesting to hear your personal story of moving from the Model S to an iPace. I've never had much time for the "fanbase" attitude of car owners - I've always moved from brand to brand when I see something that I like. I even had a deposit down at the launch of the iPace, but then decided to wait a couple of years whilst they ironed out the bugs.. Having said that, I've always been a bit of a JAG fan, and did own an XK120 fhc for a few years, which looked absolutely amazing, drove like a brick that wouldn't stop, and smelled of pure unburnt gasoline from its triple Webber carbs..
I guess we should stop chatting about non-Polestar related stuff, but everyone on this forum is taking a stab in the dark by ordering a Polestar, and I think they will be happy with their choice - Volvo is a great brand - the nearest I ever got was a Saab 99 Turbo. So... well see!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have trusted Volvo for many years. I bought one of the first S60s made (a custom build where I took delivery in Gothenburg, and then flogged on the Autobahn). It was easily one of the best, most trouble free cars I ever owned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts