Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's weird...I need to go check this now. I was sitting in the car in my garage with the window rolled down showing off some aspects of the car and popped it into Drive to make the headlights come on. I distinctly heard the AVAS forward sound, same as in this video:
. I think everyone has heard the reverse AVAS. I'll check it again next time I can pop out of my office for a minute.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,331 Posts
That's weird...I need to go check this now. I was sitting in the car in my garage with the window rolled down showing off some aspects of the car and popped it into Drive to make the headlights come on. I distinctly heard the AVAS forward sound, same as in this video:
. I think everyone has heard the reverse AVAS. I'll check it again next time I can pop out of my office for a minute.
I also could swear I’ve heard the forward sound and definitely have heard the reversing sound.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yep, just went out and tested it. You can leave the door open as long as you are sitting in the seat. It's loud and clear - both the forward and reverse AVAS work properly on my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the electric motors in the XC40 are European-developed motors, not the Chinese ones in the P*2, which is interesting, and I know that Polestar are looking to distance themselves from Volvo for electronics and motors completely. Anyway, sorry, that was completely off-topic!
Last time I checked, Siemens-Valeo was European.

Source: Pure progressive performance | Polestar
Sorry, couldn't find the english version.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,523 Posts
Interesting... So I wonder why Polestar and Volvo have openly talked about bringing electric motor design into Volvo/Polestar instead of sourcing them from China?

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
After a bit of digging I found a complete spec sheet for the car, which is so useful that I've transcribed it into a separate post...

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
For those who might have an issue with the sound - space age or otherwise - I now have a s/h iPace and it's not a problem - can't hear it with the windows closed and barely with them open.. In a city it must be useless, unless it is so clever that it responds to the ambient sound level.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've only heard the reverse sound on the P2 when I was behind the car outside (I listened for forward sound and reverse in the car but never heard them while in my tester). For the reverse, I certainly didn't find it to be a bad sound or too loud. To be honest, I doubt you can hear it more than 10 feet away, but it will be great as I back out of my garage in the city to help alert anyone walking by on the sidewalk so I like it and think it's a great thing for a quiet EV to have as an extra safety measure.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I approached the car in a quiet parking lot with my daughter ready to go with the car in drive. Wasn't a plan to check or anything, I had jumped out to put some trash in a barrel. As I approached, I heard a sound that confused me until I realized that it was the AVAS. From my experience, it works! (I also hear the backup sound daily as I back out of my garage.)

Reactions: Mick and polerad

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't mind the backup sound too much (at least it doesn't sound like a delivery truck backing up), but the AVAS sounds are starting to get on my nerves. I don't want a completely silent car, for safety reasons, so I am trying to get used to it. I could definitely envisage circumstances where I'd want to disable it, though.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I don't mind the backup sound too much (at least it doesn't sound like a delivery truck backing up), but the AVAS sounds are starting to get on my nerves. I don't want a completely silent car, for safety reasons, so I am trying to get used to it. I could definitely envisage circumstances where I'd want to disable it, though.
I don't think you could ever have it both ways, because there would always be people who would just turn it off all the time. I hardly ever hear it unless I happen to have my windows open when I'm pulling in or out of the garage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't think you could ever have it both ways, because there would always be people who would just turn it off all the time. I hardly ever hear it unless I happen to have my windows open when I'm pulling in or out of the garage.
Agreed. That's why I'm trying to get used to it :).

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you posted what comes out of our humming fridges sounding like tires rolling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are used to my ice car: but the strangeness of the AVAS sound will surely alert them.. I guess over time they’ll get used to it. However since I can buy another car without the compulsory AVAS I’m cancelling my order & buying an iPace. Thanks for the thoughts & enjoy your cars when you get them!
Not only does the iPace have the external AVAS (It's a legal requirement), but it also has an internal sound that cannot be switched off, but only turned down a little. I couldn't belive that someone at Jaguar actually though it was a good idea to introduce artificial noise into the cabin of a silent car - Rolls Royce spent decades eliminating interior noise!

·
Registered
2021 2
1,331 Posts
Not only does the iPace have the external AVAS (It's a legal requirement), but it also has an internal sound that cannot be switched off, but only turned down a little. I couldn't belive that someone at Jaguar actually though it was a good idea to introduce artificial noise into the cabin of a silent car - Rolls Royce spent decades eliminating interior noise!
that bothered me about the IPace to an unreasonable extent. I could see offering the vroom vroom for those who want it. But not being able to turn it off is just plain dumb to me when one of the key benefits of an EV is a quiet ride if you want it

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
The worst case of that is the Mazda MX30. For some reason they decided to make it sound like a scrawny little engine slowly revving up from 0mph to bursting point as it fades away. I mean, WHY!? If I couldn't permanently disable it, I wouldn't even consider it as a car. Unfathomable.

Reactions: Jonno and polerad
21 - 40 of 49 Posts