Polestar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When looking for information on cell balancing in the manual, all I found was this:

"Stop charging via the button next to the charging input socket – the charging cable's locked handle releases/unlocks.
If the charging cable is not unplugged from the charging input socket, it is locked in again automatically shortly after unlocking in order to maximise charging and range, as well as to facilitate preconditioning prior to the journey. "

I read this as balancing is only started after the cable has been manually unlocked but is left plugged in, not automatically after charging has stopped, i.e. @ 80%.

I hope this is just another inaccuracy in the manual?

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
Not quite sure I follow... there's no reference to cell balancing on that page? It simply talks about when the cable is locked or unlocked on a.c. and d.c. chargers? Sorry if I'm missing something here... 🤔

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I read into 'in order to maximise charging and range' after re-locking. The car will not resume charging after locking the plug again so balancing seems to be the only other reasonable explanation behind this vague statement, especially as there is no reference to 'balancing' itself in the manual.

I may have read too much into the manual, so let me rephrase my question: Will the car balance automatically when charging has ended on AC or is there anything special which has to be done to initiate balancing?

I send this question to CS but am not holding my breath for an answer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's what I read into 'in order to maximise charging and range' after re-locking. The car will not resume charging after locking the plug again so balancing seems to be the only other reasonable explanation behind this vague statement, especially as there is no reference to 'balancing' itself in the manual.

I may have read too much into the manual, so let me rephrase my question: Will the car balance automatically when charging has ended on AC or is there anything special which has to be done to initiate balancing?

I send this question to CS but am not holding my breath for an answer.
I think you're misinterpreting this. Any cell balancing should happen automatically without intervention from the owner. My understanding of "it is locked in again automatically shortly after unlocking in order to maximise charging and range" is "If you leave the cable plugged in, the car will resume charging so that it's actually charged to the level you expect as set in the settings" because, why wouldn't it try to get whatever charge it can.

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
Yup @Snood , that's how I read it too. Balancing should happen automatically in the background but note on other cars (e.g. the Kona) it only happens when you fully charge to 100% as that gives it the best opportunity to add extra into lower cells and gives it a solid reference point.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, you convinced me that the paragraph I quoted actually simply means the car will try continue an interrupted charge (i.e. the set charging limit has not been reached) on AC, which would work on a home charger, but not on a public charger where you'd have to authenticate again.

That still leaves the question under which conditions the car will balance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think you're misinterpreting this. Any cell balancing should happen automatically without intervention from the owner. My understanding of "it is locked in again automatically shortly after unlocking in order to maximise charging and range" is "If you leave the cable plugged in, the car will resume charging so that it's actually charged to the level you expect as set in the settings" because, why wouldn't it try to get whatever charge it can.
Leaving it locked in also means you can use the mains electricity to precondition the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts