Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just received my polestar and charged it for the first time (220V 3,2 kw since my charging pole hasn’t been installed yet). I set the charge capacity to 80%. It then charged all the way up to 80%.
however, two days later (hasn’t been unplugged since then) it started in the evening to charge again, all the way up to 100%.
Why does it do this? I just want it to charge to 80%....
I noticed it because I was on holiday and my solar panel app showed a steady power consumption of 3kw for several hours...
and I have no clue why it started charging after 2 days I had plugged it in.

Someone had same problem or am I doing something wrong here?

kind regards

·
Registered
253 Posts
Other reports of that happening as well. What version Kernel do you have? Aug 24th or something older?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean with kernel version (I don’t get an answer if I google it :))?and where can I find it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
For what it’s worth, mine is a June kernel version but so far is observing the charge limit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
On the 4 squares screen, hit gear icon at bottom leftish, then in the list of settings one says About...(and something I can't remember, system maybe)

Gives screen like this:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is a know issue with the on board charger software... There will be an update for this.

Try to reduce the charge amps to 10A and see if it helps. It seams that the event of checking SOC (state of charge) is a bit slow and miss the target. The logic behind don't have the stop "when greater then"...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does not work. I charged at 6A in the Netherlands and also 100% instead of 80%. Not ok. Get that software update soon please.

Is a know issue with the on board charger software... There will be an update for this.

Try to reduce the charge amps to 10A and see if it helps. It seams that the event of checking SOC (state of charge) is a bit slow and miss the target. The logic behind don't have the stop "when greater then"...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got an email today to “urgently” bring car back for an update. 2 problems with one of them potentially dangerous will be adressen. It can apparently stop driving out of the blue :), and secondly a head light problem....

I just hope that with the update the charging problem is fixed to...

The risks of early adopters I guesse :)

thanks for all the help, my kernel version is from June, so a bit older then the one from august.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Maybe someone can help, I don't understand what the issue is charging the battery to 100% surely this gives you a greater range?

In my Golf GTE I just plugged it in and it stopped charging when it hit max (27 miles range), there didn't appear to be any adjustment on the charge limit.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
For most of your charging cycles, I understand it's kinder to the battery to not charge all the way and not drain it all the way either. For daily driving, staying between 20 and 80% appears to be the best for battery longevity. Save the full charge/full discharge cycles for when you need them on a long trip (and avoid them then as well if you can).

·
Registered
77 Posts
For most of your charging cycles, I understand it's kinder to the battery to not charge all the way and not drain it all the way either. For daily driving, staying between 20 and 80% appears to be the best for battery longevity. Save the full charge/full discharge cycles for when you need them on a long trip (and avoid them then as well if you can).
Cheers Prof

·
Registered
19 Posts
The problem with charging to 100% with the type of batteries in the p2 is that there is a fluid inside the battery. When the battery reach the maximum state of charge the battery start to swell. This deformation cycle's reduce the performance in the long run.

There is not problem for the battery to be discharged as long as it doesn't go below the threshold where the the cells dies. This level is below SoC 0% in the display. So for the maximum charge speed drive the battery down to 5-10%....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Charged mine at home yesterday for the first time (pod-point 7kw tethered), and it charged to 80%. Took about 5 hours to get from 38%. Loud noise from the car fan when it finished (somewhere equivalent to Concorde taking off) which at least lets me know that charging has finished Maybe that's to supplement not having a working phone app?!

I also had a 'practice' at a Tesco pod-point earlier that day, but not particularly successful with the 16A lead, it was anything from 0-5mi/h charge rate and wouldn't go above 9-10 amps. I was only there for 20-30mins but not a single mile added to my range or %age increase (which was part of the reason I wanted to try my home charger, just to make sure my car can actually charge!)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a hunch about this based on behaviour I've seen - but I've only had my car just over 24 hours so this isn't backed by any hard data yet.

It seems to me that if you set the charge limit and completely leave the car alone, it behaves as intended and does indeed stop at 80% or whatever you've set it at.

If you then interact with the car in any way whatsoever (for example opening the door), then it carries on charging beyond the set point and forgets it was supposed to stop.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm now not convinced of this as I went out this morning to a 100% charged car that had not been touched since last night when I plugged it in at 74%! I think it's just totally random.

Such an incredibly complex bit of logic to get right though I can understand why they've had problems with it.... That single line of code must be a nightmare to debug. 🤪

I mean, maybe I'm oversimplifying this, but surely it's just:-

IF currentChargePercentage >= maxChargePercentage THEN stopCharging

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When it happend to me i didnt touch it either. Stood there in garage for 3 days...
but it’s on the website of polestar itself now, claiming it will be solved with the new update.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm now not convinced of this as I went out this morning to a 100% charged car that had not been touched since last night when I plugged it in at 74%! I think it's just totally random.
I got a software update some 14 days ago and hoped this would be fixed. First charging after update took it to 100% so that enthusiasm died fast. But the 3 times I have charged it since, it has stopped on 80%. It even worked with the smart functionality on my Easee charger suddenly for the first time. Delayed charging based on cheapest power cost type of thing. The only scenario that stopped at 80% before was if I disabled the smart functionality charging right away, then it would work occasionally. What I noticed was that I didn’t mess around the last 3 times.

Now it feels like the latest software did something, but apparently not quite enough. I too suspect messing around, opening doors etc have something to do with the situations where it charge to 100%.
My strategy now is to stop messing around when charging basically. I will stop faffing around the car admiring everything all the time, checking details and functionality. Not even turn around to see how the car outshines the whole parking space or any other car in the street. Just insert charger and walk away. Don’t even look to check if the stripe in the dash turns green.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not even turn around to see how the car outshines the whole parking space or any other car in the street. Just insert charger and walk away. Don’t even look to check if the stripe in the dash turns green.
Well done that is great restraint! Like not looking in the barber's window at your reflection as you leave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts