Polestar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing of consequence here but I’ve noticed some “behaviour changes”...

I used to be able to change the charging amps with the +/ -buttons at any time; I am reasonably confident this was when stopped, moving, while charging or not. Also if I set it to charge to 80% it would charge to 80% and stop.

This weekend however..... the car continued past the setting and went to 100%. I noticed on the charge screen as well that it has changed from 32A to 6A, and that this was greyed out.

At first I couldn’t change the setting, and so I set off for a short journey. Once it got to 99% Charge I noticed when the car was stopped at traffic lights the 6A was white and I moved it up to 20. The lights changed and I set off; it promptly greyed out again.

So, why suddenly now go past 80% charge, why reduce to 6A the input? Why the behaviour change??

i don’t know, but just for the fun of driving it I did another 30 mins on some cracking country roads and I forgot all about it.... until now 🤣

Not booked in yet for the recalls. Polestar told me Bedford would be in touch. They didn’t, I phoned them, they had no record of this and said they would get back to me.

So I took the car out for a spin and forgot about my worries 👍

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine has done the same on a couple of occasions. Appears to happen randomly...I am also waiting on a call from my local service centre (Ipswich) as they weren’t sure when the parts were coming in..

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
It will generally charge beyond your set limit if you've opened the door at some point during charging, or if you use an external timed charger to start charging while the car is asleep.

Problems setting the charge limit after generally cured by everyone's favourite - rebooting the infotainment screen!

Reactions: PCR and iFG70

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you rgledhill..explains simply the issues I have been having messing about with external timer. In fact happened to me this afternoon so I just had to take the car out to reduce the battery charge😁

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nothing of consequence here but I’ve noticed some “behaviour changes”...

I used to be able to change the charging amps with the +/ -buttons at any time; I am reasonably confident this was when stopped, moving, while charging or not. Also if I set it to charge to 80% it would charge to 80% and stop.

This weekend however..... the car continued past the setting and went to 100%. I noticed on the charge screen as well that it has changed from 32A to 6A, and that this was greyed out.

At first I couldn’t change the setting, and so I set off for a short journey. Once it got to 99% Charge I noticed when the car was stopped at traffic lights the 6A was white and I moved it up to 20. The lights changed and I set off; it promptly greyed out again.

So, why suddenly now go past 80% charge, why reduce to 6A the input? Why the behaviour change??

i don’t know, but just for the fun of driving it I did another 30 mins on some cracking country roads and I forgot all about it.... until now 🤣

Not booked in yet for the recalls. Polestar told me Bedford would be in touch. They didn’t, I phoned them, they had no record of this and said they would get back to me.

So I took the car out for a spin and forgot about my worries 👍
That's really strange. It bypasses all programming logic. Hence feels like a real bug. The software can have a threshold programmed somewhere that depends on certain parameters. There's 101 reasons why a bug would allow you to charge suddenly to 100%.
What's intriguing is that it's coupled to a maximum Amperage to be applied depending on charge status of the battery (charge limit curve, which is understandable depending on temperature and whether battery is empty or full). Why would it allow you to go to 20Amp when you are at 99% ? I would expect this amperage to be way less - close to nil at 99%. Not sure that this is good for the battery if it happens often.
Please keep us posted on the outcome of this one. I'm intrigued.

Reactions: ChiefEngineer

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
You're only setting the maximum current here. It will never take priority over what the charging system thinks is right for the battery at that particular state of charge of temperature - it's a limit, not an absolute value.

Reactions: JMP2 and whiteco3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Charging past a preset limit is a bug the big update should fix. My car has done this on several occasions. It also get a bit confused after 80% and will stop randomly anywhere between 85 and 97%.
Just FYI, max range at 100% has been 270 miles. Not too bad for the time of year and no preconditioning yet.

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
Got to be estimated. I've yet to hear of anyone actually managing to drive 250 miles down to 0%, never mind 270...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I definitely did not open doors during charging and I don’t use an external charger.

I have been careful to leave the car alone once plugged in. The Amps selector should be a maximum, and so should be able to be set to 32 irrespective of state of charge.

It does now though set it to 6a at 100 percent and auto increases that number the more I drive, all the way back to 32a. It’s just interesting that this is not how it used to behave.

·
Registered
P2 - Magnesium - Charcoal - PP - tow hook
104 Posts
I also noticed this kind of bug after the last update of the car was done (after the change of the inverters). Impossible to change the max. amperage of the load (6A grayed out). After a reset (long press on the home button), the setting was again available and correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts