Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In view of my p* arriving at the end of Nov/beginning of Dec(on the Morning Lynn), I have started looking into coming off my standard variable rate and getting a dedicated EV tariff. My current energy provider have pulled their EV tariff offering and was wanting to take some advice from those that have pushed the button and got an EV tariff?

It appears that Octopus is the go to provider but are they best?
I have just had a Hypervolt charger installed so it is smart compatible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated馃憤

Registered
Oops you've left it very late. The time to batten down the hatches was about now one year ago...Good luck and get ready for a shock...I'm sure you get the advice from any reputable company to not switch now and ride it out. We are right in the middle of an energy price crisis ;) If you weren't on a fixed tariff already, you are way better off on the svr with government protection.

Registered
UK : EDF20:20
Standing Charge: 39.02p per day
Peak Rate: 46.59p per kWh
Off Peak Rate: 11.80p per kWh
Off Peak Hours: 10pm to 8am Monday to Friday and ALL Weekend
Peak Rate Hours: 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday
Off Peak Hours CHANGE when the clocks go back to: 9pm to 7am
Hope the above helps

Registered
MY22 LRDM Snow Pilot Plus 20" wheels
My neighbour just got an EV (ID.4 馃あ) and asked me a similar question. As @Bl4ckD0g says, you鈥檒l not get as good a deal now as you would have a few months ago, but it might still work out well to move to an EV off peak tariff if you do enough miles. In my neighbour鈥檚 case, they had to call Octopus and practically plead with them, because they are discouraging of taking on new customers right now, but they were successful. I seem to remember they got approx. 40p per KWH peak with 8.25p (same as me) off-peak between 21.30-02.30 each night.

This was a month ago, which in relative terms with all that鈥檚 been going on, is a lifetime ago.

Registered
LRDM Pilot/ Plus/Performance/Enhanced s/u. Snow.
My neighbour just got an EV (ID.4 馃あ) and asked me a similar question. As @Bl4ckD0g says, you鈥檒l not get as good a deal now as you would have a few months ago, but it might still work out well to move to an EV off peak tariff if you do enough miles. In my neighbour鈥檚 case, they had to call Octopus and practically plead with them, because they are discouraging of taking on new customers right now, but they were successful. I seem to remember they got approx. 40p per KWH peak with 8.25p (same as me) off-peak between 21.30-02.30 each night.

This was a month ago, which in relative terms with all that鈥檚 been going on, is a lifetime ago.
Yes that's the rate i got 4wks ago with Octopus.
Great customer service.. (someone actually answers the phone within 2mins and are knowledgeable and helpful when they do.)
Great App... All you need to know is on it.

Registered
Polestar 2 midnight 19" no PP
I think the rates have inched up in the last four weeks. I'm also with Octopus and no complaints especially as my EV tariff is still fixed until July 2023. Intelligent Octopus could be a good choice but you need either an Ohme charger or a supported car. I've registered with them that I would like support for either Polestar or Zappi to be added, but no idea when or if that will happen.

Registered
Ask for intelligent Octopus. This gives (in my area) you 10p per kWh from 23:30 - 05:30 and 43.4p at other times. This is 6 hours charging which is about 30 - 90% with my Polestar 2 on a 7kW charger, costing 拢4.20 at the latest rates. Mine is fixed at 7.5p till next summer. Make sure you have a big enough mains fuse to deal with the night consumption you might want. 7kW is about 32A, and each hefty appliance you add like washing machine, dishwasher will add up to 13A. I had my 60A mains service fuse upgraded to 100A for free by UK Power Networks because I charge lithium batteries for day consumption overnight. If you want a 拢50 introductory credit, go to this link: Octopus Energy and I'll benefit too. If you want to chat about this, reply to this or message me and we'll get in touch somehow. THis rate is actually cheaper for heating and hot water than gas now - if you can do this overnight. Switching with Octopus was easy and they are the only utility company that i know of who answer the phone and deal with matters correctly.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ask for intelligent Octopus. This gives (in my area) you 10p per kWh from 23:30 - 05:30 and 43.4p at other times. This is 6 hours charging which is about 30 - 90% with my Polestar 2 on a 7kW charger, costing 拢4.20 at the latest rates. Mine is fixed at 7.5p till next summer. Make sure you have a big enough mains fuse to deal with the night consumption you might want. 7kW is about 32A, and each hefty appliance you add like washing machine, dishwasher will add up to 13A. I had my 60A mains service fuse upgraded to 100A for free by UK Power Networks because I charge lithium batteries for day consumption overnight. If you want a 拢50 introductory credit, go to this link: Octopus Energy and I'll benefit too. If you want to chat about this, reply to this or message me and we'll get in touch somehow. THis rate is actually cheaper for heating and hot water than gas now - if you can do this overnight. Switching with Octopus was easy and they are the only utility company that i know of who answer the phone and deal with matters correctly.
Many thanks for the reply, I will use the link and try to get us both the benefits.
My mains fuse is currently 60A, this is being changed the middle of next month to a more suitable 80A.

Registered
LRSM, Magnesium, Pilot Lite & Plus sitting on 19s
I'm with Octopus fixed for the last year or so due to end in July. Won't be able to use a home charger as I'm in a flat in London. Would I be able to benefit via Octopus for cheaper on-street charging which there are loads of near me? Currently around 0.32p per kwh on a 5kw street charger.

Registered
I'm with Octopus fixed for the last year or so due to end in July. Won't be able to use a home charger as I'm in a flat in London. Would I be able to benefit via Octopus for cheaper on-street charging which there are loads of near me? Currently around 0.32p per kwh on a 5kw street charger.
Hi - as far as I know, the only thing like that they offer is Electric Universe - used to be Electric Juice. Generally, they pass on the cost, but do offer some discounts for some providers.

Registered
LRSM, Magnesium, Pilot Lite & Plus sitting on 19s
Hi - as far as I know, the only thing like that they offer is Electric Universe - used to be Electric Juice. Generally, they pass on the cost, but do offer some discounts for some providers.

Amazing..With that and the Plugsurfing card that should cover all my needs

Registered
Don't immediately go for Intelligent Octopus, yes it gives you 6hrs and not the 4hrs Go does, but the rates are slightly higher when I checked.

With my Ohme Home Pro I can get 40-45% battery during the low rate, which for most of the time is enough for the running about in the week.

Factor in the referral code you can use that some of us have in our signatures, that will net you 50 quid too in credit :)

Registered
I am still waiting for delivery of my PS2 which is due on 14/11/22. I am with Bulb, who are being run in "special administration" so I don't think they will take new customers. They are however offering an EV tariff which looks attractive. 4 hours off-peak (2-6 am) @ 9.44p/KWh and 41.02p the rest of the day. I don't do high mileage and have had a home charger fitted so I hope this will work quite well for me.

Registered
MY22 LRDM Snow Pilot Plus 20" wheels
I am still waiting for delivery of my PS2 which is due on 14/11/22. I am with Bulb, who are being run in "special administration" so I don't think they will take new customers. They are however offering an EV tariff which looks attractive. 4 hours off-peak (2-6 am) @ 9.44p/KWh and 41.02p the rest of the day. I don't do high mileage and have had a home charger fitted so I hope this will work quite well for me.
By comparison, this is what Octopus are offering as an equivalent right now:

Purple Violet Font Electric blue Brand

So given this, your Bulb deal looks pretty good. But having said that, you mention you don鈥檛 do a lot of mileage, so you might be better off going on a standard variable which is currently capped at circa. 30p per kWh for the next 5-6 months. Good luck with your new car, I鈥檓 sure you鈥檒l love it!

Registered
LRSM - Magnesium
A deal has just been done for Bulb to be bought over by Octopus. If you can still get that deal it might be the time to take it. I would imagine in the ear future they will align with Octopus. That is assuming your EV energy demands warrant it.

Also bear in mind the cheaper rate can be used by other things than the car. Washing machines and tumble dryers are obvious choices. You can even install a battery system and charge up on the cheaper rate to use through the day. That would require an investment of 拢4-6k though. Good to work out the whole benefit if it is there.

Registered
MY23 P*2 LRDM Magnesium
Ouch! Like most EV tariffs, those non-middle-of-the-night rates are steep and watch out for stacked daily standing charge rates. Don't underestimate home consumption; ours is considerably more than our EV charging is likely to be, even with a 200 miles per week commute and we aren't particularly extravagant.

Registered
Ouch! Like most EV tariffs, those non-middle-of-the-night rates are steep and watch out for stacked daily standing charge rates. Don't underestimate home consumption; ours is considerably more than our EV charging is likely to be, even with a 200 miles per week commute and we aren't particularly extravagant.
Same here, three working from home, a large property, etc we switched last year to an anytime fixed tariff. Is working out well.

Registered
SMLR Thunder, Pilot, Plus on 19鈥檚
Same here, three working from home, a large property, etc we switched last year to an anytime fixed tariff. Is working out well.
Hi all British Gas have just reinstated their EV tariff that is variable. Peak 39.39p off peak 12p standard charge 49.63p off peak 12-5 am. Thought might be of interest to Uk drivers.

Registered
Hi all British Gas have just reinstated their EV tariff that is variable. Peak 39.39p off peak 12p standard charge 49.63p off peak 12-5 am. Thought might be of interest to Uk drivers.
Thanks, nice that they are finally doing that again. But wow that is some charges, I am so glad I fixed my anytime tariff this time last year as that is crazy...

Registered
Might be worth investing in a home battery if you can charge at night! It all about knowing your usage though to work out the payback time. I think high energy prices are going to be here for a while... & probably never see the the price of 20p again.
I am fortunate as I am still on a 2 year locked in tariff. 20p eleccy & 4p gas!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts