Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Ouch....but I guess I knew it would be coming!!

I guess the thing I need to figure out is if Intelligent Octopus will be better for me....?

Your current Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 24.14p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 5.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 18.35p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,247.15

We've based your estimate on your historical half-hourly usage pattern - that's 4,280 kWh during Octopus Go peak times and 2,941 kWh during Octopus Go off-peak times.
Your new Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 43.37p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 12.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 42.86p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £2,365.47
Flexible Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 43.37p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 14.83p / kWh
Standing charge: 42.86p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,474.54

Good to know: Flexible Octopus isn't a smart tariff, so it's quoted slightly differently to Octopus Go. This quote is based on the national average consumption for a dual-rate medium usage home (4,200 kWh) and the average share of electricity used in Economy 7 off-peak periods (42%).

Looks like EDF has put up my 20:20 charges (off-peak rate is 9pm-7am and all weekend). New rate is 57p day and 13p E/WE.
My current split is 20% day and 80% E/WE with the car being the biggest user by far at approx 75% of the E/WE portion or 60% of the total KWh
So I am looking to switch and would appreciate any feedback - majority are saying Octopus so it may be a case of deciding which tariff as I am seeing some which are only 4-5 hours at night and no weekends versus my current 7 at night and all weekend. The car will charge to 50% max in a 4-5 hour window so I will need to figure out whether its a cheaper rate than my one.

My EDF 20:20 is also being increased on the 1st January 2023. Standing Charge 39.02p : Day Rate 57.92p [7am to 9pm] and Night Rate 10.50p [9pm to 7am and all weekend]. This still works for our household, but I guess it is not for everyone.

My EDF 20:20 is also being increased on the 1st January 2023. Standing Charge 39.02p : Day Rate 57.92p [7am to 9pm] and Night Rate 10.50p [9pm to 7am and all weekend]. This still works for our household, but I guess it is not for everyone.
I don't get it - If we are on the same 20:20 rate then why are my Jan 1 rates different to yours?
You : Standing Charge 39.02p : Day Rate 57.92p [7am to 9pm] and Night Rate 10.50p [9pm to 7am and all weekend
Me : Standing Charge 42.77p : Day Rate 57.54p [7am to 9pm] and Night Rate 13.43p [9pm to 7am and all weekend

I am looking for the best night rate as thats where 60% of my elec usage is

Done some more checking and I get this for my usage. Will wait till new yer before deciding but Octopus Intelli looks slightly better than BG and lots better than EDF. I will have to see if EDF have a rate for 12-5am rather than just evenings/weekend
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

I am planning on getting solar panels and battery next year so that should mean I can get buy purely on solar and night rate and need zero daytime/peak electricity

Maybe just get a bigger battery instead of solar?
You will need to do the sums though & know what is the maximum battery size you can get away & charge the car for 10p kwh!
I did think about this idea to just have investor and 10kw battery and forget the panels but its not a big cost to add some panels regardless and I think you save the VAT. I will be getting quotes in the new year so will see a few variations.
It does look like Octopus Intelligent is the best option as they are off-peak for 6 hours so can easily get a full charge over 2 nights. The only thing I am not sure about is how the 'intelligent' bit works as it seems to need a app, compatible car and compatible charger so not sure I can tick all the boxes. I'd prefer to just do what I do today which is set the car schedule and plug in - not sure if that method will work with octopus but will look into it..

Possible failing at the first hurdle. Went online to Octopus and did the sign up for octopus intelligent but got a message at the end as below - I said Polestar 2 with Rolec charger and am switching from EDF so have a smart meter. I will try and contact them after the bank holidays and see if its a no-go for some reason.

Intelligent Octopus isn't ready for you yet, but it just got one step closer.
We're adding more cars and chargers as quickly as we can, and you've just added another vote for your make and model.
If you'd like an invite as soon as Intelligent Octopus is ready for you, please enter your email address below.
  • You do not have a smart meter / you're smart meter isn't eligible
  • You do not have a compatible car or charger

Try Octopus Go or Octopus Go Faster (If they're still available products). You just need a smart meter for those. Intelligent is only currently for compatible chargers/cars like Tesla, Land Rover, and Jaguar, although they're adding more.

Try Octopus Go or Octopus Go Faster (If they're still available products). You just need a smart meter for those. Intelligent is only currently for compatible chargers/cars like Tesla, Land Rover, and Jaguar, although they're adding more.
fair point whiteco but I was under the impression that the 'intelligent' tariff had a 'override' mode where it will simply charge the car when requested, regardless of any time of day app algorithms etc. I would assume that simply setting the app to some kind of 'always charge' mode would then mean the polestar scheduler can pick the real time to charge.. On the other hand my Rolec charger is now 5 years old so may well be in need of replacing at some point.. Octopus are charing 1k for the Ohme charger they recommend.
They emailed me today to say that I had to switch to their standard tariff first and then could go for an EV tariff - which is only worth doing if I am 100% sure that Intelligent can be made to work in the short term with my existing setup. Otherwise I will look at the Go tariff even though its not as good a deal..

Given their seems to be lots of Polestar drivers here who are also using Octopus intelligent, I am guessing they have the Ohme charger as they obviously don't have a Tesla/jaguar/etc.

All very interesting and it may be a case of wait it out a few months as am also mulling over getting just a battery or a solar/battery combination.

If your existing charger still works then you can buy a lot of electricity for the difference. And there is no particular reason why it shouldn’t keep working. Make sure you include that in your sums.

If your existing charger still works then you can buy a lot of electricity for the difference. And there is no particular reason why it shouldn’t keep working. Make sure you include that in your sums.
Very true, if I can get the Go tariff at 12p but need to spend 1k to get the 'right' charger and the 'intelligent' tariff at 10p then I will need to do a lot of charging to get back the 1k. If my charger gives up the ghost due to age then its fair enough that I have to buy a new one so will get an intelligent one.

At the moment I am doing the numbers on just getting a 7-8 kw battery as my daily usage is 6kw (car aside) or also getting some solar panels to save the VAT. I don't really fancy solar panels just yet so am also looking into what was posted earlier ie over 60's pay 5% VAT on battery alone. Am in no rush so will continue the research for a few months and hope the dire state of the economy may result in some better deals on battery/solar installs.

fair point whiteco but I was under the impression that the 'intelligent' tariff had a 'override' mode where it will simply charge the car when requested, regardless of any time of day app algorithms etc. I would assume that simply setting the app to some kind of 'always charge' mode would then mean the polestar scheduler can pick the real time to charge.. On the other hand my Rolec charger is now 5 years old so may well be in need of replacing at some point.. Octopus are charing 1k for the Ohme charger they recommend.
They emailed me today to say that I had to switch to their standard tariff first and then could go for an EV tariff - which is only worth doing if I am 100% sure that Intelligent can be made to work in the short term with my existing setup. Otherwise I will look at the Go tariff even though its not as good a deal..

Given their seems to be lots of Polestar drivers here who are also using Octopus intelligent, I am guessing they have the Ohme charger as they obviously don't have a Tesla/jaguar/etc.

All very interesting and it may be a case of wait it out a few months as am also mulling over getting just a battery or a solar/battery combination.
yes, there are a few of us here with Ohme Home Pro and Octopus Intelligent. It works really well in my experience.

Very true, if I can get the Go tariff at 12p but need to spend 1k to get the 'right' charger and the 'intelligent' tariff at 10p then I will need to do a lot of charging to get back the 1k. If my charger gives up the ghost due to age then its fair enough that I have to buy a new one so will get an intelligent one.

At the moment I am doing the numbers on just getting a 7-8 kw battery as my daily usage is 6kw (car aside) or also getting some solar panels to save the VAT. I don't really fancy solar panels just yet so am also looking into what was posted earlier ie over 60's pay 5% VAT on battery alone. Am in no rush so will continue the research for a few months and hope the dire state of the economy may result in some better deals on battery/solar installs.
If you go with Octopus Go you dont need the expensive charger and.... they cant switch you off if the system gets busy
My charger is 3 phase 11Kw and cost me less than 200 quid from china

Sooner than you think the grid will start to overload. when 50% of your street have an electric car and all plug in at night they will be forced to protect the transformers.....hopefully not for a while yet, but it will come

But doesn't every charger now fitted (or sold?) in the UK have to be "connected" anyway now by law? So it doesn't matter what tariff you have, that capability will be there.
But Octopus certainly aren't doing that at the moment.

No dont have to be connected by law.... unless that is new?
You only get the grant for connected chargers.... But I find the installers seem to hike the price by thje grant amount as soon as they know.
Maybe they will pass a law.... but good luck with policing that one seeing as we can plug ito wall sockets too

It will be a while before they start messing with the chargers connected to the grid.... but the fact that they can.... means eventually they will.
EV's are growing so fast and as the price falls will rapidly grow exponentially.... gosh long word for Sat evening:p

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.