Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice! It’ll be Interesting to assess impact on range.... and if they stay on when you floor it! 😂

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! And that's stable?!
As stable as 60kg+ handing of your rear end by a clamp around a large knob. 😂

Joking aside, I was nervous but I can even tilt the bikes away from the boot to gain boot access. The Thule bike racks are the best out there.

Nice! It’ll be Interesting to assess impact on range.... and if they stay on when you floor it! 😂
Well I only went 12 miles total, so 6 each way. I did floor it ... it's like the bikes were not there. Also I didn't go faster than 60mph.
Total for the trip was 45kw/100mi ... however it's this high normally for the first 15miles anyway.

Next year I might take the bikes to the Lake District. That's a 275 mile trip ... that will give a much better idea of loss of range, however I don't expect it to be massively different.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Finally got a nice day to test one of the main reasons we picked a Polestar 2 over a Model 3!

View attachment 1874
I’m liking this. That’s what it’s all about- putting it through it’s paces as a tool.

I dare say more efficient on the back than on roof bars too.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Thule bike racks are the best out there.
Are you intentionally provoking a fight here? Because those are fighting words in the MTB community. :unsure::)

Entire forums exist to discussion of the finer points of various hitch-mount bike racks. In the end, there is probably no clear winner here, and people will spend hours discussing the merits of various racks while drinking a post-ride beer. But I have to say that I have never heard anyone claim that the Thule is the best option. It's a fine rack, nothing at all wrong with it. But most people (in Colorado at least) end up with the following racks at the top of the best-of list (given here in no particular order):
  • 1up (www.1up-usa.com)
  • Kuat (kuatracks.com)
  • Recon (recon-racks.com)
  • North Shore (northshoreracks.com)
Anyway, glad that you are happy with your rack, and I'm excited to see your picture with 3 bikes on the back of the P2! I'm sure the rack market is also fairly different between the US and UK. FWIW, I own the 1up, mostly because I'm a sucker for anything that is CNC-machined. My whole family rides mountain bikes, and my kids both ride on a local team in Boulder. Most of our vacations are centered around traveling to ride (e.g., Crested Butte, Moab, etc.) So we often travel with 4 bikes on the rack, but that requires a Class III (2" receiver) hitch. I'll probably stick with 2 bikes with the P2, or 3 in a pinch. By the time we go to 4 bikes, we'll be happier in my wife's bigger ICE car anyway. Many of places we travel to ride are fairly remote and might provide range anxiety in the EV.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
926 Posts
Are you intentionally provoking a fight here? Because those are fighting words in the MTB community. :unsure::)

Entire forums exist to discussion of the finer points of various hitch-mount bike racks. In the end, there is probably no clear winner here, and people will spend hours discussing the merits of various racks while drinking a post-ride beer. But I have to say that I have never heard anyone claim that the Thule is the best option. It's a fine rack, nothing at all wrong with it. But most people (in Colorado at least) end up with the following racks at the top of the best-of list (given here in no particular order):
  • 1up (www.1up-usa.com)
  • Kuat (kuatracks.com)
Anyway, glad that you are happy with your rack, and I'm excited to see your picture with 3 bikes on the back of the P2! I'm sure the rack market is also fairly different between the US and UK. FWIW, I own the 1up, mostly because I'm a sucker for anything that is CNC-machined. My whole family rides mountain bikes, and my kids both ride on a local team in Boulder. Most of our vacations are centered around traveling to ride (e.g., Crested Butte, Moab, etc.) So we often travel with 4 bikes on the rack, but that requires a Class III (2" receiver) hitch. I'll probably stick with 2 bikes with the P2, or 3 in a pinch. By the time we go to 4 bikes, we'll be happier in my wife's bigger ICE car anyway. Many of places we travel to ride are fairly remote and might provide range anxiety in the EV.
what’s the net weight of the bikes/rack you’d carry? Is it really >90kg? That’s the nose load for the P*2 hitch and with my 80kg ish body weight it seems to hold it solidly (even with my stresses while balancing on it with one leg).

glad to see there’s as much fanboyism around bike racks as EVs!

·
Registered
297 Posts

Getting off-topic, but here's a photo of the 1-up rack on my wife's car, with the Collegiates in the background---Mt. Princeton, Mt. Harvard, and Mt. Yale, all over 14,000 feet. As is often the case in Colorado, the value of the bikes on the rack probably exceeds the value of the car. Priorities. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
what’s the net weight of the bikes/rack you’d carry? Is it really >90kg?

glad to see there’s as much fanboyism around bike racks as EVs!
It's really more about the large moment you create by cantilevering the bikes so far off the back. And yes, fanboyism runs strong in the bike community.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
926 Posts
It's really more about the large moment you create by cantilevering the bikes so far off the back. And yes, fanboyism runs strong in the bike community.
fwiw the hitch has a label on it with signage indicating “max 4 bikes”
So I’d imagine they’ve accounted for it?
Not trying to convince. Just you might end up pleasantly surprised!

·
Registered
Midnight Charcoal non-PP Towbar
37 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can get a tower on the model 3.... You can't get one on the model S!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi, I have the ps2 with towbar nd the same rack but for 2 e bikes, did p/s supply you with the rear number plate for the rack?
No, I got of number1plate.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can get a tower on the model 3.... You can't get one on the model S!
Did anyone say Model S? Anyway ... it was a solid reason I didn't get a 2nd hand S.

The Model 3 has a nose load of 60kg, and an accessories load of 22.6 kg.

The Polestar has a nose load of 90kg, and an accessories load of 29.8 kg

what’s the net weight of the bikes/rack you’d carry? Is it really >90kg?
My Bike Rack is 23.1 kg, My Bike is 21kg (it's Electrically Assisted due to a bad knee), My Wife's is 15.5kg, and my son's is 10kg - However at some point my Son will grow to take a full normal adult sized bike so around another +5kg

So a total of 70 now and 75kg in the future, hence why the Model 3 was not enough for me.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
926 Posts

• 1up (www.1up-usa.com)
  • Kuat (kuatracks.com)
So before I just get the cheapest rack available (Allen), as I've always done since grad school, oh oracle of the bike racks, which should I get?
needs to fit the Polestar hitch would want to have capacity to eventually hauling 4 bikes - although given the size of my youngest, we probably can do with 3-bike capacity for a good long while.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
926 Posts
So before I just get the cheapest rack available (Allen), as I've always done since grad school, oh oracle of the bike racks, which should I get?
needs to fit the Polestar hitch would want to have capacity to eventually hauling 4 bikes - although given the size of my youngest, we probably can do with 3-bike capacity for a good long while.
Expanding on this, I'm reading stuff like this indicating that a class I hitch shouldn't carry more than 2x bikes at a time on a rack:

But - Polestar/Volvo pretty clearly indicates that a 4x bike carrying capacity is possible:

So - what's the deal? Can or can't I carry a rack with 4x bikes on it, so long as the total load is <90 kg/200 lbs (and it would likely be much less than that)?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Expanding on this, I'm reading stuff like this indicating that a class I hitch shouldn't carry more than 2x bikes at a time on a rack:

But - Polestar/Volvo pretty clearly indicates that a 4x bike carrying capacity is possible:

So - what's the deal? Can or can't I carry a rack with 4x bikes on it, so long as the total load is <90 kg/200 lbs (and it would likely be much less than that)?
In the UK it's simple. TowBar can carry X or pull Y. That's it - same as the EU.

In the US though from what I understand each state can have it's own laws & regulations.

Assuming you are not putting an Electric or Electrically Assisted Bikes on the back, the car tow/bar will handle 4 bikes - no idea if this breaks any US legalities.

Accessory Weight is just the Bike Rack on it's on.
Max Tow Ball Pressure is the total weight.

-------

Most Bike Racks (even 4 wide one's) weigh less than 20kg's.

Most non-Electrical Racks will have max load of 60kg's.

@15kg's max per Bike x 4 = 60kg's.

This bike rack is from the UK:-

(note Polestar is a 13pin so you'll need an adaptor for some racks)

So yes you can carry 4 safely on the Polestar Towbar technically. Legally in the US ... that's out of my league.

Edit: Apologies, I just read the article linked. If Polestar / Volvo say you can have 4, and the manufacture of the bike rack says you can have 4, then I trust these that some guy on the internet! (and that includes me as well!)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts