Polestar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
We have Thule and "Shop" brands ... which are either cheap imitation imports or just cheap imports.

So basically it's either Expensive or Cheap.
That's basically what I thought. It was either Thule, Yakima, or cheap. But apparently there are much better brands as well. Then again, the last time I looked a bike racks there were hardly any mountain bikes out there :)

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts
That's basically what I thought. It was either Thule, Yakima, or cheap. But apparently there are much better brands as well. Then again, the last time I looked a bike racks there were hardly any mountain bikes out there :)
FWIW I wouldn't call the rack I got as inexpensive. Cost-wise it's between the cheaper Allen racks and the more expensive racks @JPC is a fanboy of

·
Registered
645 Posts
FWIW I wouldn't call the rack I got as inexpensive. Cost-wise it's between the cheaper Allen racks and the more expensive racks @JPC is a fanboy of
Yeah, I totally get that most people won't want to spring for the Kuat or the 1up. But for people who ride and transport bikes constantly, it is something to consider. And you have to admit, the 1up is a pretty decent looking rack, all CNC-machined aluminum. See stock photo from the web below for a single tray (which is what I will have on the Polestar on a day-to-day basis)

And here is the rack with 2 trays, this time in black anodized:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yeah, I totally get that most people won't want to spring for the Kuat or the 1up. But for people who ride and transport bikes constantly, it is something to consider. And you have to admit, the 1up is a pretty decent looking rack, all CNC-machined aluminum. See stock photo from the web below for a single tray (which is what I will have on the Polestar on a day-to-day basis)

View attachment 2181

And here is the rack with 2 trays, this time in black anodized:

View attachment 2182
Where do you purchase these racks? I haven't seen them at REI or that type of store.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Online was killing B&M places long ago ... Covid gave it the killing blow!
I agree. But for something as big as a bike rack (or a car for that matter 😀) you want to see it and touch it. For instance I don't know how anyone could buy a couch online. You'd have no idea if it was comfortable.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts
I agree. But for something as big as a bike rack (or a car for that matter 😀) you want to see it and touch it. For instance I don't know how anyone could buy a couch online. You'd have no idea if it was comfortable.
Almost everything in our house has been bought online and then delivered to our front door.... with the exception of the kids (possibly).

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Almost everything in our house has been bought online and then delivered to our front door.... with the exception of the kids (possibly).
I guess you have to not care if something is comfortable or not. I can't imagine the inconvenience of sending a couch back to Amazon or Wayfair.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
I'm pretty much going to buy the Polestar without seeing or touching it!

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I'm pretty much going to buy the Polestar without seeing or touching it!
Me too. But if it wasn't essentially a Volvo there is no way I'd trust what it felt like without sitting in it or driving it. I've sat in plenty of cars that I find are just not comfortable at all.

I've had several Volvos, and they all fit "just right" 😉

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had issues with not being able to fit a bike rack into the US Polestar hitch receiver? My tow hitch receiver is 1 1/4 inch but it seems to be not deep enough to fit a bike rack. I had ordered a KAC S3 1.25" and 2" Hitch Receiver 3-Bike Capacity Hanging Bicycle Carrier and it does not go in deep enough to secure it with the bolt. I went to a store called "Bike and Rack" and they told me that nobody makes a bike rack for the retractable hitch from Volvo.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Has anyone had issues with not being able to fit a bike rack into the US Polestar hitch receiver? My tow hitch receiver is 1 1/4 inch but it seems to be not deep enough to fit a bike rack. I had ordered a KAC S3 1.25" and 2" Hitch Receiver 3-Bike Capacity Hanging Bicycle Carrier and it does not go in deep enough to secure it with the bolt. I went to a store called "Bike and Rack" and they told me that nobody makes a bike rack for the retractable hitch from Volvo.
Yikes. This is scaring me. Can you measure the depth? My car is a thousand miles away right now.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts
Just tried with the Thule Camber and found the same thing.

Well **** me then.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
It should be easy enough for a local weld shop to modify the rack so it works.

·
Registered
2021 2
1,734 Posts
It should be easy enough for a local weld shop to modify the rack so it works.
Given it indicates one could mount a rack that can handle 4x bikes on it then I think Polestar needs to identify racks that could be used with it without significant modification

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Call Polestar Support and ask for a list of compatible makers/models.

The tow bar is the same as any Volvo in the states so I can't imagine there isn't a solution.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I just had a thought... You did take the plastic cap off right?

41 - 60 of 104 Posts