Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for some clues about the bluetooth media player.

I received the car last Tuesday (8.00 pm, pitch black and freezing cold here). Discovered what seem to be the usual bugs, 4G & WiFi stopped working the next day, usual fixes as researched (and advised by Polestar, who've since gone quiet about it) didn't work but it magically started again on Thursday. The manual went away, found a fix for that, then it went away again, had to apply the fix again. Despite all that stuff, the car's great!

About the media player. So, with my phone paired OK (a Pixel 2, a bit elderly but the 5 wasn't that attractive) initially I could see a small selection of music on the screen in the car. The Pixel only had one album on it and a few odd tracks, these were all visible and worked. Great I thought, this works, I can live without all the options that were available (and worked fine) on my old car, a Q5. So I went away, deleted the odd stuff on the Pixel and reloaded it with a selection of albums, in the same directory on the Pixel as the odd stuff had been in. Took the phone back out to the car confidently expecting it to just work (I should know better). It didn't. The media app in the car no longer discovers any media. Nothing I do seems to make it visible.

Is this function supposed to work? Has anybody got it working successfully? I can play music via the bluetooth by controlling it from the phone, but I really don't want to do that!

I've seen a topic on the forum that seems to suggest that the only way to do this is to drive it from the phone, but for me that renders it useless - I really don't want to be fiddling with the phone while I'm driving. It's particularly frustrating as it did work for a while!

Suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
Snow, Charcoal, non-PP
33 Posts
I tried this also at first but I to was not able to get any information on the car side. And I was only able to control it from the phone side. Perhaps the synchronization of folders only takes places when the phone is first paired? It would be strange but you could try to unpair and pair the phone again and then see if that makes a difference.
I am curious to know on what folder you have the music stored when you were able to browse from the car side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried this also at first but I to was not able to get any information on the car side. And I was only able to control it from the phone side. Perhaps the synchronization of folders only takes places when the phone is first paired? It would be strange but you could try to unpair and pair the phone again and then see if that makes a difference.
I am curious to know on what folder you have the music stored when you were able to browse from the car side.
I tried unpairing/pairing a few times, no luck. Also restarting Android Automotive. The individual music files were originally in the Pixel's WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp Audio folder, and the album in the Music folder (both in Pixel internal storage). When I loaded the new albums, I tried them initially in the Music folder, then in the WhatsApp folder - neither worked. My wife has a Pixel 5, I may try that tomorrow. The thing worked fine with the original files!

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
The bluetooth functionality is dreadful at the moment. It should improve significantly when Polestar move away from Android 9 on the infotainment system.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I tried this for the first time today. Connected fine and can play all the tracks on my phone, but no graphic display of folders whatsoever: screen does show the name of the track playing, and if you use the steering wheel 'next track' buttons you see the track names scrolling forward on the screen, but that's it. Until we can see something on the display, we seem to be limited to choosing an artist on the phone, then sticking with it until stopping the car at some point and selecting another choice on the phone itself.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yep, that's how it works for me. I find I just use the YT Music app on the car most of the time. The lack of full integration of the Bluetooth Audio app is more annoying than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I tried this for the first time today. Connected fine and can play all the tracks on my phone, but no graphic display of folders whatsoever: screen does show the name of the track playing, and if you use the steering wheel 'next track' buttons you see the track names scrolling forward on the screen, but that's it. Until we can see something on the display, we seem to be limited to choosing an artist on the phone, then sticking with it until stopping the car at some point and selecting another choice on the phone itself.
Yes, same for me. Works fine on my iPhone. Not elegant but it works. And it is my only music option since I don’t have 4G.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
308 Posts
So hold on. I'm on Nov 1st software. I've got a three year old oneplus 5t phone paired over BT to the car. In the phone BT settings for Polestar it shows "media" enabled on the infotainment the "media" option is also enabled. I fire up Audible to listen to my favourite audio book. I press play and the app switches from play to stop on about one second. No audio coming through car. What? I can play any audio from my phone through my car apart from regular phone calls? What the heck?

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
308 Posts
You have to press play on the car as well. Yes, it’s dumb...
Press play on what? There is no Audible app on the infotainment. My last selected audio app is NPR. If I press play on my Android phone then press the physical play button on the centre console the NPR app starts to play, not my audio book on my phone, which incidentally just automatically stops after one second.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anybody heard anything vaguely promising about the bluetooth media player? Having just had the new software update, I thought I'd ask Polestar Support, and their response was:

"I understand the Bluetooth Media Player will not allow you to search through the media stored on your phone, however it does allow for a "Now Playing" function, which will allow you to play/pause your media, and skip songs forward or backwards whilst connected via Bluetooth."

I have to say, I find this a bit frustrating. In every car I've had since about 2006 (possibly longer) I've been able to access (from the car's inbuilt interface) music stored on a USB stick or on my phone via bluetooth. Pretty much every car on the market except the Polestar must support this. Polestar's answer to it amounts to "fiddle around with your phone while you're driving if you want to change your music", which isn't really acceptable!

I may start ranting and bolt an 8-track player in to give me enhanced functionality...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Has anybody heard anything vaguely promising about the bluetooth media player? Having just had the new software update, I thought I'd ask Polestar Support, and their response was:

"I understand the Bluetooth Media Player will not allow you to search through the media stored on your phone, however it does allow for a "Now Playing" function, which will allow you to play/pause your media, and skip songs forward or backwards whilst connected via Bluetooth."

I have to say, I find this a bit frustrating. In every car I've had since about 2006 (possibly longer) I've been able to access (from the car's inbuilt interface) music stored on a USB stick or on my phone via bluetooth. Pretty much every car on the market except the Polestar must support this. Polestar's answer to it amounts to "fiddle around with your phone while you're driving if you want to change your music", which isn't really acceptable!

I may start ranting and bolt an 8-track player in to give me enhanced functionality...
Is uploading to YouTube Music not an option? The BT is terrible right now, which is totally Google's fault, but YT Music supposedly supports uploading your collections. My collection was ported from Play Music, but I listen to Spotify mostly so I haven't tested it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is utterly ridiculous that you can't access your music collection from a usb device. Bluetooth is next to useless with very little functionality and no album art leaving only Tidal as a high quality source (unless YT music is of equal quality?). It's hard to understand why they decided not to integrate usb for audio, it's silly.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts