Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Official pics & some details released today.

Having been a BMW driver for over two decades (and an i3 driver for 6 years), this is decidedly “meh” for me. We’ll see how drives, but I like the looks of the P*2 far better than this buck-toothed blob & even if 300 miles EPA range holds up I won’t miss the extra 70 miles.

I know there are some other current and former BMW drivers here...curious to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I also don't like the obsession of the Blue with BMW Electric cars .... and that front end.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t mind the obsession with blue, particularly if they switch to grey for certain colors a la the i3. But the Polestar is certainly a lot more subtle, especially once I removed the stickers on the doors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don’t mind the obsession with blue, particularly if they switch to grey for certain colors a la the i3. But the Polestar is certainly a lot more subtle, especially once I removed the stickers on the doors.
Completely off the original topic - how easily did the stickers come off? I'm very tempted to do the same!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how easily did the stickers come off?
Very easily. I “borrowed” my wife’s hair dryer to soften the adhesive, then gently pulled them off. Followed up with spray detailer followed by paint sealant. Maybe 20 min max to do both doors.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Former BMW fan boi here.

I just don't like the styling. I don't like the nose. I don't like the wheels, and I don't like the overall shape.
I think the side profile will be decent ... assuming you change the wheels and you also get a really big frunk ... but that front end :poop:

·
Registered
594 Posts
We’ll likely be on the market for a second BEV in the next year or two (thanks, Polestar, for making us converts!) and this is probably on the list. I’m encouraged by the specs and excited to see where real-world performance lands, as well as pricing, which I’d really love to see in the $55K range.

The grille is really a lot, but in that we’re likely stuck with it for a while, this is probably one of the better expressions of it I’ve seen to date. I imagine this is going to be like the Lexus spindle grille, which was a bit awkward in initial applications but grew on me as they found more organic ways to incorporate it into the overall design language.

Likewise, I’ve never been a fan of BMW’s blue accents on electrified vehicles, although it comes off better in person (more metallic) than in photos (where it looks cheap/plastic). I’d like this better as a subtle bit of horizontal blue trim beneath the doors, without the vertical lift at the front. Would impact color choice for sure, and I’d possibly have it painted body color.

All of that said, the spec sheet looks pretty good, and if it drives like a BMW sedan and doesn’t pollute, ought to be a hit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like a mildly restyled 4-series Gran Coupé with the unfortunate huge nostrils from the M3/M4. Doesn't do anything for me, but then again I’m not much of a BMW fan.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
We’ll likely be on the market for a second BEV in the next year or two (thanks, Polestar, for making us converts!) and this is probably on the list. I’m encouraged by the specs and excited to see where real-world performance lands, as well as pricing, which I’d really love to see in the $55K range.

The grille is really a lot, but in that we’re likely stuck with it for a while, this is probably one of the better expressions of it I’ve seen to date. I imagine this is going to be like the Lexus spindle grille, which was a bit awkward in initial applications but grew on me as they found more organic ways to incorporate it into the overall design language.

Likewise, I’ve never been a fan of BMW’s blue accents on electrified vehicles, although it comes off better in person (more metallic) than in photos (where it looks cheap/plastic). I’d like this better as a subtle bit of horizontal blue trim beneath the doors, without the vertical lift at the front. Would impact color choice for sure, and I’d possibly have it painted body color.

All of that said, the spec sheet looks pretty good, and if it drives like a BMW sedan and doesn’t pollute, ought to be a hit.
I will never not think of this when I see a Lexus.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Current (soon to be former) owner of an i3s. My wife loves BMWs because of our old 3-series, so this was definitely on our list, but the timing didn’t work out. Coincidentally, the ride/handling of our P*2 on test felt a bit like our old 3-series (and significantly better on the highway than our i3s) so that helped us go in the Polestar direction. The i4 front is even more ridiculous on a non-ICE car. Bring back the 507 or old 8 series front end if you feel the need for a grille. That said, I suspect BMW will still be on our shopping list in a few years once we feel the need to change (hopefully a few more options then).

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I think what's amazing is the general reaction to BMWs i4 reveal has been kinda 'meh' even besides the grille.
Even just 1-2 years ago this would have set the EV-interested sections of the internet on fire. Now it's "eh... let's see what else comes out and what real world testing shows"

·
Registered
133 Posts
The design is much nicer than the iX or M3/M4.
This redesign would sway me even more:

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
171 Posts
I have been wavering on the i4, in fact I lost a week when they did the reveal thinking again about waiting rather than order the Polestar - only to find Polestar have stopped selling any cars when I tried to order one on Monday! (Does anyone else find that highly ironic - a car company that doesn't sell any cars?)

I have a 3 series GT now and love the car, although the negative BMW driver reactions you get are a pain. When I first got the car in 2014 the model was so new that lots of people didn't know what it was and I regularly caught people walking around the car trying to figure out what it was (it has no decals so other than being a BMW you have nothing to tell you the model). Now my kids are leaving home I am looking to get a slightly smaller car, and before seeing the Polestar and realising that a BEV might be affordable for me, I had been looking at the 4 series GC. The i4 then seems to be an ideal fit for me. I really like the frameless doors, the better range would be a benefit and the performance is comparable (at least the reported headline numbers, but what's the betting that is the M-Performance model that costs circa £80k to compete with the Audi e-Tron GT etc.) The luggage space is a bit larger, which would be handy, and I really don't mind the nose, frankly I won't be spending much time looking at it from the inside of the car.

I have a horrible feeling that the premium brands (and Polestar clearly sees themselves in that segment) have decided they don't have to compete with Tesla on the M3 pricing and can charge extra (£60k to £80k) for performance/acceleration. Just look at the Kia EV6 GT pricing, the Ford Mustang etc, they are all coming out around the £60k mark, and Polestar was nearer the £50k mark for equivalent specs. As I say, I fear Polestar will rejig the pricing when they start selling again, probably by unbundling the Pilot and Plus packs, but making the prices of those packs say £5k each so that to get back to the existing vehicle will add about £10k to the overall price.

So then if I am going to spend the same money, why not have the i4, better performance (maybe), better range, larger luggage storage, frameless doors; but probably not the great positive attention that you'd get with the Polestar. We'll see what Polestar does, but I am still pissed off with them!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I have been wavering on the i4, in fact I lost a week when they did the reveal thinking again about waiting rather than order the Polestar - only to find Polestar have stopped selling any cars when I tried to order one on Monday! (Does anyone else find that highly ironic - a car company that doesn't sell any cars?)

I have a 3 series GT now and love the car, although the negative BMW driver reactions you get are a pain. When I first got the car in 2014 the model was so new that lots of people didn't know what it was and I regularly caught people walking around the car trying to figure out what it was (it has no decals so other than being a BMW you have nothing to tell you the model). Now my kids are leaving home I am looking to get a slightly smaller car, and before seeing the Polestar and realising that a BEV might be affordable for me, I had been looking at the 4 series GC. The i4 then seems to be an ideal fit for me. I really like the frameless doors, the better range would be a benefit and the performance is comparable (at least the reported headline numbers, but what's the betting that is the M-Performance model that costs circa £80k to compete with the Audi e-Tron GT etc.) The luggage space is a bit larger, which would be handy, and I really don't mind the nose, frankly I won't be spending much time looking at it from the inside of the car.

I have a horrible feeling that the premium brands (and Polestar clearly sees themselves in that segment) have decided they don't have to compete with Tesla on the M3 pricing and can charge extra (£60k to £80k) for performance/acceleration. Just look at the Kia EV6 GT pricing, the Ford Mustang etc, they are all coming out around the £60k mark, and Polestar was nearer the £50k mark for equivalent specs. As I say, I fear Polestar will rejig the pricing when they start selling again, probably by unbundling the Pilot and Plus packs, but making the prices of those packs say £5k each so that to get back to the existing vehicle will add about £10k to the overall price.

So then if I am going to spend the same money, why not have the i4, better performance (maybe), better range, larger luggage storage, frameless doors; but probably not the great positive attention that you'd get with the Polestar. We'll see what Polestar does, but I am still pissed off with them!
Have the varied specs for the i4 been confirmed? And delivery date etc?
keep in mind the Polestar also promised 500km range, got rated for 470km range, with real world highway range more like 320-400km. Maybe the bmw does significantly better, but if they have equal front and rear motors for their 4wd configuration, with similar width tires, I doubt it

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
171 Posts
Have the varied specs for the i4 been confirmed? And delivery date etc?
keep in mind the Polestar also promised 500km range, got rated for 470km range, with real world highway range more like 320-400km. Maybe the bmw does significantly better, but if they have equal front and rear motors for their 4wd configuration, with similar width tires, I doubt it
On WLTP Polestar 2 = 470km, i4 = 590km

I accept that is far from realistic, but my point was that it is more.

Otherwise no specs yet on the various models. BMW are still in tease mode, so I am assuming any of the mentioned spec apply to M variants. Delivery has supposedly been pulled forward to 2021 rather than the previous 2022.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There's no reason at all not to get the i4. I'm confident it will be a great car. At this point, it all boils down to the combination of a few dozen small differences and what your gut tells you.

I could make a list of my preferences that confirm my decision, but yours are assuredly different. You'll not find me calling anybody a fool for buying a different car.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts