Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Have the varied specs for the i4 been confirmed? And delivery date etc?
keep in mind the Polestar also promised 500km range, got rated for 470km range, with real world highway range more like 320-400km. Maybe the bmw does significantly better, but if they have equal front and rear motors for their 4wd configuration, with similar width tires, I doubt it
We know it has an 80kWh battery and is built on the Cluster Architecture platform, but that’s it. Rumor a while back was that the launch model would be a single-motor RWD version and that there would be a dual-motor M version as well. I could see a world where BMW now are showcasing the best of what it’s capable of across various configurations (that is, giving us the max range of a RWD model but performance stats from the dual-motor version), but it’s possible we’ll not see a single car that can achieve both.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The big reveal finally happened:

Lots to like here. But, overall the top performance trim is ~$7k on top of the Polestar 2 launch edition, will launch ~1.5yrs later, and has overall specs and features that are similar. The 2WD trim is substantially more than Polestar's. And it has that polarizing grille (I'd just get it in black so hopefully makes the grille blend in...).

It has a longer wheelbase and is overall longer, which hopefully means more cargo and passenger room. And I trust they would have figured out chassis and suspension to a similar degree as Polestar.
The top charging speed is higher, which matters mainly in the lower end of SOC. Overall range is similar although the battery pack is a bit bigger (81 kWh vs 78 kWh gross).
And I'm guessing the software won't be as much of a cluster out of the gate - although I fully expect Polestar to have it's stuff figured out by Q1 2022 when this launches.

And I think that's it - Polestar really needs to get its act together soon. The few $k price difference won't be enough to keep folks going to Polestar over more established brands like BMW or Audi, who are coming out with viable competitors soon. Polestar doesn't have its fanboys yet to the same degree that BMW, Audi, Merc, and Tesla do. They need to figure out their software and service situations ASAP.

Reactions: BubbaJoFet

·
Registered
139 Posts
A shame it doesn't use 800V and offers higher chargespeeds, but still it a sweet package. Fully charged version (HUD, Laser (not sure if its a giant one) headlights, driving aids and tow hook ++ will come in at 60k Euro here

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa!
Where are the cupholders?!? How am I supposed to drive without my 3 gallon cups of assorted gummy bear flavoured sodas?

View attachment 5893
if it’s like other bmw I’ve seen then they’re in the front bin ahead of the gear shifter. Which would make sense as you can keep them out of sight when not in use and when in use they wouldn’t be in the way of your arm as it rests.

or perhaps the car shares even more design elements with the Polestar…..

Ill wait to see the A5 eTron ...
pedantically, they’ve announced an A4 etron and an A6 etron coming in 2023/2024. No A5 afaik

but yeah we’re keeping an eye on the A6…

Reactions: PolestarMG

·
Registered
604 Posts
I was a little shocked (electric cars? see what I did there?) at how competitively priced the BMW offerings are. Though I wish it could deliver just a smidge more range, the M50 is particularly impressive. Hardly as physically desirable, but compare to the e-tron GT or Taycan putting down the same 0-60 time but starting at $100K (+$15-$20K to option any of the three out decently). Given the expected excellent driving dynamics of any of these choices, the VW group offerings become a lot harder to justify, even if they look 1000% better. At least until you get to the RS/Turbo strata where BMW aren't playing yet.

I also think Polestar pricing is nearly right in line here. A completely optioned-out 2 just touches $70K, where I'd expect a similarly-equipped M50 to reach $80K based on the pricing of other M models. Seems about right for an AWD luxe EV with similar range to the M50 but ~half-second slower acceleration.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts

This stats comparison was posted to reddit.
With the relative pricing difference, I feel like BMW needed to get this out a year or so ago. If they did, I expect a number of us would've gone for it, bucktooth grille and all.

But now, I don't know. We're still 6-9 months from the first deliveries and by then Polestar will be ~2 years into its launch and have likely fixed the major pending issues, and the Model 3 will be that much more the standard to be compared against. While I expect BMW won't have as many launch issues as Polestar has had, I don't think they'll be immune, and do expect Polestar to be at a net better position of squashing those bugs at that time.

And soon after the i4's launch, Audi will come out with the A4/A6 etron on the PPE platform, meaning 800V architecture and all those benefits, and promising 400+ mi ranges. Even if the Audis come out more expensive, I could see folks just plain waiting it out, or doing a TM3 lease until the Audis come out. And not to mention the Merc offerings, and eventually Volvo/Polestar, Lucid, etc.

The i4's stats are impressive. But really doesn't make sense to me what took so long to develop this, since it's clearly just a 4-series with the ICE stuff ripped out and an EV drivetrain slapped in.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The Tesla seems light in comparison. I'm beginning to think that our extra weight is necessary for performance and safety.

·
Registered
Void, Slate, Non-PP on 19's
172 Posts
Interesting that BMW are pitching the slower i4 against the faster PS2, but then the equilvalent speed/acceleration/power BMW is NOT compared to the PS2. So they seem to be pitching their "lower" performance car against the "better" performance PS2, presumably mostly due to price. A comparison somewhat degraded by PS release of those new cheaper models. In the round I think I made the right call, the PS2. Mostly because I probably would not have been able to afford the faster i4, but having driven the PS2, I would have wanted the power :cool:.

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
I'm gradually growing to accept the beaver-teeth.

Shame iDrive '8' is really just iDrive '7.0001' though... and in all the videos I've seen, it looks a bit laggy. Possibly pre-release software though.

The i4 will almost certainly my next car... My adventures away from the brand have not been fulfilling so far.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The i4 will almost certainly my next car... My adventures away from the brand have not been fulfilling so far.
i think on Polestar’s end, if they can’t get their act together by this Fall/winter, when folks might be starting to order the i4, then there will be a lot of defections. Polestar’s main advantage is potentially getting this beta testing all out of their system now, before ze Germans really get going.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
139 Posts
Estimated delivery, if ordered now, for Norway is April 2022. Just wish the backseats offered a little more space for passengers, perhaps they'll do a GT version.
Folded tall guy in the back attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
Polestar have more chance of keeping me as a customer if they actually sort my problems instead of making vague promises about things being 'improved in future software updates'...

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
2,034 Posts
Polestar have more chance of keeping me as a customer if they actually sort my problems instead of making vague promises about things being 'improved in future software updates'...
Can't you take solice in the fact that my car is working well (for now, touch wood, cross my heart)?

21 - 40 of 106 Posts