Polestar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
No different than BMW or MB. They sell many more low end cars now than ever. It's how they make their real money to support development of the high end cars. Porsche had to do this too.
I don't think it's quite the same.

BMW have about 50 different models, and they really don't sell that many 118i's... also, bear in mind even that isn't cheap - it's £29K ($42K). The overwhelming majority of BMWs on the road here are £35-40K+ cars so edging towards the premium / executive segment.

Tesla have four models (three in the UK), and the one cheap model outnumbers the other two by several orders of magnitude thus diluting the 'premium-ness' of the brand much much more than the odd 1-series does to BMW.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I don't think it's quite the same.

BMW have about 50 different models, and they really don't sell that many 118i's... also, bear in mind even that isn't cheap - it's £29K ($42K). The overwhelming majority of BMWs on the road here are £35-40K+ cars so edging towards the premium / executive segment.

Tesla have four models (three in the UK), and the one cheap model outnumbers the other two by several orders of magnitude thus diluting the 'premium-ness' of the brand much much more than the odd 1-series does to BMW.
The extent might be a little different, but this sales and marketing strategy has been written about extensively. There is no cheap MB or BMW or Tesla for that matter. But if they don't sell enough of the less expensive cars they don't stay in business. There aren't enough people buying 100K cars to keep the doors open.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
First drive reviews are coming out for the AWD M50 version:

Few takeaways:
* air suspension FTW! does that come on the base model? wonder how does that affect the handling? it's seems even heavier than the P*2, but wider tires and maybe wider track (to be confirmed). Not sure but guessing the Ohlins would be net flatter? unclear if makes a difference on usual roads.

* cue all the "OMG iTs a ShAreD pLaTFOrM!" that said, it has the transmission tunnel issue just the same. though 2 front cupholders!

* compared to P*2, range in 2WD and AWD specs is probably similar ish to the comparable P*2 (little less in AWD per the #s in the video). seems faster charging to the tune of ~5-10 min faster for an up to 80% charge. 2" lower ground clearance. maybe smaller trunk space (judging from video alone) - unclear underfrunk situation; no frunk (what all are they using that under hood space for??).

* looks like a lot of the tech coming in the iX isn't coming to the i4? not clear why. they do get wireless CarPlay though for all you Apple-istas

* rear and blind spot visibility similarly compromised it seems.

* Pricing in the US seems more expensive at each trim compared to the Polestar 2 and Model 3. And that's without varied options packages which are currently undefined, but am guessing would raise pricing further.

* Apparently deliveries meant to start here in Spring 2022, but all preorders sold out as of a few months back. So if ordering now looking at Fall or later 2022. And this assumes no further delays or shunting of orders to EU/UK to evade emissions fines.

Overall, this is coming out ~2 years after the Polestar 2 and ~5 years after the Model 3. It's probably preceding the EQE and A6 etron by 1-2 years. Not sure if I buy the value proposition, but I'll do a test drive to check it out when those come available, if anything out of curiosity.

[and that grille....]

Reactions: PolestarMG

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
For me, looking closer at the available current stats, the main potential deal breakers are:

* ground clearance - this is even less than many typical sedans. We tend to go to different trails and similar in the area; while it’s never that crazy off reading, I’d worry that 4.5” would bottom out and some trails we’ve been to.

* cramped backseat, seems even more cramped than the Polestar

* smaller trunk than the Polestar

There’s probably upsides of different tech pieces being available at launch. And the M AWD version probably has better 0-60 and similar performance metrics around a track. But those space and clearance limitations would be limiting to us.

Reactions: 2RatsElop

·
Registered
Midnight PP leather tow
55 Posts
Such a pity that bmw wasted their early EV lead and they still havn't sussed to the fact that electric is the future. The i4 looks great from the side, the grill is fugly as can be. Delivery time is a disaster, specs are way poorer than Tesla (on paper, I think Tesla promise too much eg. lie and bmw the opposite) which is probably due to it not being a dedicated EV platform (like PS2).

The stupidest reason I want an i4 and would have bought one instead if they were available 6 months ago? I love the Tanzanite Blue II metallic colour. I just wish Polestar had some happy colours, in hindsight I should have bought the cheapest colour and wrapped mine. I would love that +100KW :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Former BMW fan boi here.

I just don't like the styling. I don't like the nose. I don't like the wheels, and I don't like the overall shape.
Me too, and me too! Every time I see a new 440i or something with that grille on the road, it always strikes me how ugly and out of place everything looks, and not just the main offender, the buck teeth. I am genuinely upset at BMW right now lol

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
No matter how ugly we think it looks, given a couple of months/(years?), we will come to accept it, associate it with BMW, and think anyone driving one is so cool because they have a BMW. Marketing is all about differentiation and cache. Think back to when Lexus first came out with that huge ugly grill. The press totally panned it. Today it just says "Lexus".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Think back to when Lexus first came out with that huge ugly grill. The press totally panned it. Today it just says "Lexus".
I never did like those, but it did stop looking grotesque to me over the years. The same as well may be with the BMW (but I doubt it! Lol)

But I loved BMW pretty much my adult life, and in the here and now I finally get to a point where I can feasibly get a fast Beemer, and now they're all butt ugly!

And it ain't just the grille, look at the 440i from the back quarter, and the opposing lines: one from the door at the front going towards the rear, and one from the rear lights going towards the door. It just doesn't look right irl

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
And it ain't just the grille, look at the 440i from the back quarter, and the opposing lines: one from the door at the front going towards the rear, and one from the rear lights going towards the door. It just doesn't look right irl
Yeah... I keep thinking of a loaded diaper...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I don’t know. As an Asian American suburban dad I’m contractually obligated to drive a Toyota/Lexus or BMW and I find the new design language of them hideous enough to dissuade me from getting one, even if it was electric.

Our family plus parents and siblings used to have 7 Toyota/Lexuses and 2 BMWs. That’s now down to 1 Lexus and 1 BMW and both of those owners are waiting for leases to run out and/or compelling options to come to go electric. The BMW owner is interested in the i4, but the grille is definitely a deterrent more than being neutral or an actual attractant

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I've just read a few reviews. Until the last few years, I've just loved BMWs.

So, more power and torque than ours and a bit quicker to 60 (3.6 vs 4.4) and the quarter mile (12.1 vs 12.8). Similar battery capacity (80.7 vs 78), similar range (225 vs 233). Same rating from Car and Driver at 8.5/10.

So what's the big difference? Style, company philosophy, environmental footprint, and company age.

On all those points, I'm glad I chose the Polestar.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
BMW lost their way some years ago when their products focused more on being the "look at me" brand for up and coming suburbanites rather than the "ultimate driving machine". In doing so though, they juiced profits, and of course in a pure capitalistic system that's all that matters.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've just read a few reviews. Until the last few years, I've just loved BMWs.

So, more power and torque than ours and a bit quicker to 60 (3.6 vs 4.4) and the quarter mile (12.1 vs 12.8). Similar battery capacity (80.7 vs 78), similar range (225 vs 233). Same rating from Car and Driver at 8.5/10.

So what's the big difference? Style, company philosophy, environmental footprint, and company age.

On all those points, I'm glad I chose the Polestar.
IDK, seems like i4 is faster with the same range, likely handles better, has a great wireless CarPlay integration and digital key (that is, all the little gadgets and gizmos may work properly). I like the uniqueness of the 2, but if I were a current BMW customer this would be compelling.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts