Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. First question for you all. My previous hatchback style car was a Macan. When you opened the powered tailgate you could set the angle so that it didn't open too high and hit my garage door (when the garage door is open not closed). I have checked the manual but I cant see that you can do this in the P2. Am I wrong? Bit of a bummer if you can't.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes you can, press and release the close button (not the close and lock button) where you like it on the way up. Then press and hold that same button until you hear a beep. It's now programmed for that height.

Be careful where you set it though, as I set mine a bit too low and now I can't figure out how to reset it to get it to go up a bit higher.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I can't link it, but you can search for "Setting a maximum height for opening the tailgate" in the manual.

It also has steps to clear it. 🙂

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
625 Posts
Manually push it all the way up (or to your desired heigth) and save that position.
I tried that but it really didn't want to move when I pushed up and I was worried about stripping gears. My other car I can push up and it's pretty easy.

I found this doc and followed the directions and it worked. Still seems really difficult to lift up manually though.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yes you can, press and release the close button (not the close and lock button) where you like it on the way up. Then press and hold that same button until you hear a beep. It's now programmed for that height.

Be careful where you set it though, as I set mine a bit too low and now I can't figure out how to reset it to get it to go up a bit higher.
Thank you ! I would have never looked that up as I did not know it exists. I should have known that before my son experimented with the car and opened the hatch under the garage door, pushed into one of the hinges of the panels and create a nice long creased dent in my brand new car !!! :mad::devilish:. I had to get it repaired and repainted. Could just not leave it like that... $300 poorer now.
I will have him program it tomorrow - outside first, not under the door and then measure it 5 times and then try it inside.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Oy! Sorry to hear of the mishap. It's a terrible feeling. I once opened my garage door into the open hatch of a previous car that was not adjustable. It was an awful feeling and fortunately didn't do too much damage. I hope to never do it again.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I opened mine in the garage without thinking and grabbed it just before it hit the garage door. It took a lot of effort to overpower the car hatch. I am guessing the same effort may be used to lift it manually. There wasn’t any nasty sound of gears crashing when I forced it to stop. I guess it has a slipper clutch?

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
It's done by monitoring the current through the motors. If there's too much resistance then the motor current is high so it stops trying to drive them. Same as finger trap detection in electric windows.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's done by monitoring the current through the motors. If there's too much resistance then the motor current is high so it stops trying to drive them. Same as finger trap detection in electric windows.
The sensitivity to resistance when closing varies greatly between brands/models. Polestar is particularly sensitive I found. Good safety

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
625 Posts
I actually thought of that and tried the procedure they are saying to reset it, since google showed me many cars work that way, but it didn't reset.

The only way I could reset it was to manually push it up, then press and hold the button to get the 2 beeps to get it to remember the new location.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I wonder if we could get a regular info sharing session with Polestar if one of us collated and triaged the issues we all find, so at least they have a way to hear about little bugs in the system like this and get them on the roadmap? Surely our combined driving experience creates far more information than any testing that they can be doing and it would be a useful input. Anyone from Polestar following our thread that would be interested, please DM me and I would be happy to help coordinate this group.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I wonder if we could get a regular info sharing session with Polestar if one of us collated and triaged the issues we all find, so at least they have a way to hear about little bugs in the system like this and get them on the roadmap? Surely our combined driving experience creates far more information than any testing that they can be doing and it would be a useful input. Anyone from Polestar following our thread that would be interested, please DM me and I would be happy to help coordinate this group.
Many manufacturers have representatives that follow (and sometimes participate in) forums about their products.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts