Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Launch Edition since Oct 20. 25k miles driven.
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 4wd dual motor P2. Yesterday evening was fairly humid. It had rained & the roads were greasy. But still, on tyres near the end of their lives, I couldn't get a bit of wheel spin when flooring it from standstill. Is this pretty incredible or am I just naive?
Are you single motor RWD owners having a similar experience?

Registered
It鈥檚 a non issue in single motor cars (FWD btw) because the traction control deals with it incredibly well, with non of the judder that you鈥檇 typically associate with front wheel drive cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Single motor is front wheel drive.

If you lack the ability to drive with any sensitivity then yes, you can create wheelspin but if you have a modicum of mechanical sympathy then it鈥檚 easily avoided.
Sorry, thought I couldn't be clearer but I will try.
From a still start, if you point the car straight ahead and fully depress the accelerator will you wheel spin in the wet? Doesn't happen in 4wd, wondered if it did in 2wd. No fannying around, pure foot to the floor as fast as you can. If this style of driving doesn't apply to you, I am sorry to have wasted your time. If I wasted your time and you are still reading this even after the previous apology, the extra time wasted is down to you.

Registered
Sorry, thought I couldn't be clearer but I will try.
From a still start, if you point the car straight ahead and fully depress the accelerator will you wheel spin in the wet? Doesn't happen in 4wd, wondered if it did in 2wd. No fannying around, pure foot to the floor as fast as you can. If this style of driving doesn't apply to you, I am sorry to have wasted your time. If I wasted your time and you are still reading this even after the previous apology, the extra time wasted is down to you.
If you are unsure of what the answer would be to nailing the throttle 100% in a FWD car (now that you know it is FWD might help, I guess) that has the ability to instantaneously deliver it鈥檚 peak torque then I worry.

鈥淚f you drink 15 pints of beer and don鈥檛 use the toilet for 24 hours will you pee yourself?鈥

Answers on a postcard to 鈥楴eanderthal鈥.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are unsure of what the answer would be to nailing the throttle 100% in a FWD car (now that you know it is FWD might help, I guess) that has the ability to instantaneously deliver it鈥檚 peak torque then I worry.
I was unsure, that's why I asked.
Please don't worry though. I'll be fine.

Registered
2022 SRSM Void
I have a SMSR and even in Sports Mode (traction off) on damp South Devon back roads it's hard to get the wheels to spin off the line, seems like it has a 'soft start' approach to power delivery even with my foot flat to the floor. Needs a launch mode!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It鈥檚 a non issue in single motor cars (FWD btw) because the traction control deals with it incredibly well, with non of the judder that you鈥檇 typically associate with front wheel drive cars.
I have a SMSR and even in Sports Mode (traction off) on damp South Devon back roads it's hard to get the wheels to spin off the line, seems like it has a 'soft start' approach to power delivery even with my foot flat to the floor. Needs a launch mode!
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks both

Registered
Midnight 20鈥 Charcoal July 21 vin 26xxx
Unne

鈥淚f you drink 15 pints of beer and don鈥檛 use the toilet for 24 hours will you pee yourself?鈥

Registered
Midnight 20鈥 Charcoal July 21 vin 26xxx

That was unnecessary. I thought it was an interesting question given this and the original thread.

Registered
Off the line traction control is good on the SM, but while in motion or around a bend there can still be torque steer and wheel slip if the hammer is put down too quickly.

Registered
Polestar 2
The only time I've experienced wheel spin is turning out of a junction on a loose gravel surface - but I suspect even the AWD version would have done the same.

On normal tarmac roads I've not experienced any torque steer or wheel spin even in the wet, but then I generally don't floor it either being a moon driver of a certain age 馃槉

Registered
Last summer, I had a local autocross champ drive my car in autocross. I was with him (though my stomach was left at the starting line).

Sports Mode on, of course.

He was squealing the tires in every turn, and leading up to every turn, and accelerating out of every turn. And there were no parts of the course that didn't involve eminent turns.

And yet, despite being in the hands of a more than capable, very experienced, driver. There really wasn't much in the way of wheel spin.

Furthermore, I've done a dozen runs or more on the dragway. Full straight line, full stomp, giving it all she would take. 'Didn't warm up the tires. ('Wouldn't know how to if I wanted to.) No wheel spin there either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts