Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
Discussion Starter #1
I'll get straight to the point. This car doesn't wheel spin even when you boot it from standstill in the wet. The UK roads are currently permanently damp, covered in leaves so fairly greasy. But you can stomp the accelerator like you're putting out a fire out and there's a WHOOSH and you're gone. No fuss, no wiggles or wheelspin.
I'm quite a high level of dick, so I made my girlfriend boot it (the car, steady!) last night while I stood and watched. It was great to see and hear!!! ---------INSTANT WHOOSH!!!--------
I can see why the P2 always seemed to lead (for a short while) against other EV's in drag races. The launch is 馃榿馃榿馃榿馃榿馃榿馃榿

Registered
Polestar 2, Void, non PP Due December.
I'll get straight to the point. This car doesn't wheel spin even when you boot it from standstill in the wet. The UK roads are currently permanently damp, covered in leaves so fairly greasy. But you can stomp the accelerator like you're putting out a fire out and there's a WHOOSH and you're gone. No fuss, no wiggles or wheelspin.
I'm quite a high level of dick, so I made my girlfriend boot it (the car, steady!) last night while I stood and watched. It was great to see and hear!!! ---------INSTANT WHOOSH!!!--------
I can see why the P2 always seemed to lead (for a short while) against other EV's in drag races. The launch is 馃榿馃榿馃榿馃榿馃榿馃榿
"I'm quite a high level of dick, so I made my girlfriend boot it "

This made me chuckle, awesome. i can't wait for mine to arrive.

Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
"I'm quite a high level of dick, so I made my girlfriend boot it "

This made me chuckle, awesome. i can't wait for mine to arrive.
Truth is I asked her nicely & she jumped at the chance. Circled round & came back grinning ear to ear. Tonight she wants to floor it from the slip road onto the motorway. I'm gonna sit in the back so she can't see my fear.

Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
Truth is I asked her nicely & she jumped at the chance. Circled round & came back grinning ear to ear. Tonight she wants to floor it from the slip road onto the motorway. I'm gonna sit in the back so she can't see my fear.
we鈥檙e still talking about driving the car?
馃槝

Registered
My wife on the test drive didn't fancy being the last car in the convoy so she and another lady ended up having a bit of a drag race at the lights! Both ladies had grins on their faces, both blokes I think had a look of panic. Again a wet day but no problem with traction.

Premium Member
(Don't tell anyone, but I'm kinda hoping my wife will be afraid to drive this car like she was my last.)

Registered
Sadly my wife loves to drive the Polestar - says its much easier to drive and see out of than other (fast) cars I've had.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

Registered
This doesn't overly suprise me tbh, it's no where near the quickest EV and has a slower 0-60 time than alot of the performance 4x4s or hot hatches, not calling the car I think it's great I just don't think it's particularly rapid

Super Moderator
Umm... the only EVs that I can think of that are quicker are the highest performing Teslas and the Taycan, and I think most people would reckon 4.7s is pretty quick? Could you list which "performance 4x4s" would sprint to 60 faster than that? Or hot hatches? Maybe a couple of the AMG hatches but that's about it...?

The main reason it doesn't spin the wheels is because the torque is slowly unleashed rather than just banging it in. The Kona just chucks all the torque at the road and promptly spins even grippy tyres in the dry, never mind the wet. I prefer the Polestar's controlled unleashing of the beast...

Registered
Golf R, S3, 4wheel drive cupra all do 0-60 in mid/high 4s, bmw 340, my b9 RS4 all quicker, I'm not saying its a slow car by any means I enjoy driving it, like I said I just don't find it rapid

Super Moderator
I think it's fair to say that you're more used to very quick cars than most! Golf R is 4.9s, so slower, 340 is 4.8s, so slower, Cupra is 4.9s, so slower. B9 RS4 is around twice the price of the Polestar.

On balance I'd say it's pretty rapid!

Premium Member
A couple of finer points here:
1. People are confusing 0-62 times (published as 4.7 s) with 0-60 times (a fraction of a second less).
2. Reviewers have gotten 0-60 times of around 4.1 seconds. 2021 Polestar 2 Review, Pricing, and Specs

Registered
Performance wise, the Polestar reminds me of an Audi S5 I had a few years back: with the grip and feeling of effortless but refined power (AWD, 330bhp, 0-62 in ~5s). Easy to drive 'normally'.

My last car, a M4 competition was much more brutal and dramatic about everything (rear wheel drive, 1600kg, 450bhp, 0-62 in 4.0s). My wife didn't like driving this!

Registered
Note with the M4 there was no way you could never achieve 4.0s, unless it was a hot day in the peak of summer. Any hint of dampness and it would just spin up (or if traction control was on, just drop the power).

Registered
I have tried as you mentioned before but I think the closest I got was a very slight murmur so can't class it as wheel spin.

Hmm annoying will not be going to work early so I doubt I can try it on the way to work. I have the perfect place too. It's right by a hospital so it won't be so hard for them to bring in what's left of me if they don't get it the first time round.

Alternatively I may do it when there is a dick behind me annoying me (not Dave a different less likeable one).

Registered
Well this morning I tried 3 times from stationary after being in sports mode. The road was damp from the night before but not wet. Not a sniff of wheel spin in 'sports mode'
I'm pretty sure it let the weeks slip a bit in a corner that wouldn't have happened if I had ESC turned on. I think there is still more fun to be had in this car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts