Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else is seeing such minimal disc wear. I noticed that my front discs were also beginning to corrode so switched off all regen and have driven for a week, coupled with some heavy braking. Hopefully they will soon clear up. The brakes are still excellent.

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
830 Posts
You can't do anything to prevent regeneration. You can only control which pedals initiate the regen. The only way to force the brakes to engage is to (as you say) brake hard enough to make the orange hatched bar show up in the power meter on the dash.

·
Registered
2021 P2, Magnesium/Charcoal, non-pp, 19"
181 Posts
You can't do anything to prevent regeneration.
If you put gear in N when rolling down a hill, there will be no regeneration, might probably have to engage the breakpedal to put in N and back in D.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you put gear in N when rolling down a hill, there will be no regeneration, might probably have to engage the breakpedal to put in N and back in D.
I would stop before putting the car back into D. Otherwise a good idea. I do this with my Volt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else is seeing such minimal disc wear. I noticed that my front discs were also beginning to corrode so switched off all regen and have driven for a week, coupled with some heavy braking. Hopefully they will soon clear up. The brakes are still excellent.

View attachment 6979
These look an awful lot like the discs on my Volt. No matter how hard I try, I find them very hard to clean with normal use. There are some who recommend driving with the parking brake engaged, but that sounds abusive to me.

I chalk this up as once of the quirks of EV ownership. I wish companies would build in a more useful 'brake-cleaning' cycle. The Volt will use the friction brakes the first time you touch the pedal upon setting off, but after that it's regen. This barely does anything as far as I can tell, as usually when leaving my neighborhood I hardly have to touch the pedal very hard. I feel like a brake-maintenance cycle should be 1-5 miles every 10th time, or something. Perhaps that would extend disc life more appreciably?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the advice. I have been wondering about the regen as it does regen on the dash even with the setting the pedal to off.

OK, so the of rolling and braking in neutral is good, I will try that in a safe place!

·
Registered
Snow non-PP w/tow hook
178 Posts
Thanks for that tip, I've been grumbling about the need to drive it harder than I like just to avoid that corrosion

·
Registered
P*2 | 300KW | Snow | Charcoal | Pilot | Plus | 19" | Stickerless
45 Posts
I use hyde's serum rust stopper after a weekly cleaning. Spray some on the disk while it's still wet and it reduces the formation of rust. It's designed specifically for this task.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I use hyde's serum rust stopper after a weekly cleaning. Spray some on the disk while it's still wet and it reduces the formation of rust. It's designed specifically for this task.
Other than appearance it's hard to understand how this is any benefit. Anytime you hit the brakes with any force the rust will be gone instantly.

·
Registered
P*2 | 300KW | Snow | Charcoal | Pilot | Plus | 19" | Stickerless
45 Posts
That's all its for, I don't like rust on my disks. I'm hoping that with one pedal driving, I can basically never touch the physical disks (unless I find myself on a nice bendy road).

My passat gte had one pedal mode and corrosion got so bad, it gouged tracks in the disks making them unsafe. VW refused to replace them under warranty so I had to do it myself.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I believe earlier on they did have an auto brake cleaning feature that involved using the friction breaks during some elements of driving about. But it was identified as one of the potential sources of reduced efficiency/range so that, after all the whining we did here about range, it was nixed or made much less frequent in a later update.

What I'm saying is, as one of the earliest adopters, @Arjo , you only have yourself to blame :)

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe earlier on they did have an auto brake cleaning feature that involved using the friction breaks during some elements of driving about. But it was identified as one of the potential sources of reduced efficiency/range so that, after all the whining we did here about range, it was nixed or made much less frequent in a later update.

What I'm saying is, as one of the earliest adopters, @Arjo , you only have yourself to blame :)
Haha, I accept fault 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
241 Posts
I especially asked the Polestar technician about rust and self-cleaning feature.
He told me : "After 12 hours parked, the 5-6 next times you press the brake pedal, calipers will be used."
That remains to be 100% confirmed by Polestar or anyone willing to film the brakes with a GoPro while driving :)

·
Super Moderator
1,594 Posts
I can still hear the mechanical brakes when leaving home in the morning.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My brakes drag when I first back out of my garage. If I haven't driven for a couple of days you can really hear them scrubbing for about 20m or so then they release. I'm not having any trouble with rust to this point.

Edit: I don't use OPD so I do engage the brake pedal pretty regularly and I'm sure I occasionally get into friction braking.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ok fair enough.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts