Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
896 Posts
sounds like the same issue @Jfd4000 had?

given than >1400 Norway deliveries have been made, and presuming that Sweden deliveries are some fraction of this, seems this affects ~2% of cars and takes ~1 month to fix, I guess depending on how fast the part can get here from China.

I'd personally accept those odds. You know. If the car could get to my driveway in the first place.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hopefully they'd come up with a way to screen for the issues, could do it at the prep center after port... if they have their act together at the operations level. That's usually standard operating procedure when the car goes through processing near the destination, at least from the other cars I've ordered. The prep center, or whatever it is called is where they remove all of the packing foam/covers, install the latest code, final body/system checks, and install some optional equipment.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The article is like all these days ... vague.

30+ cars have been returned with issues that means they can't be driven.
Not all the cars were a result of the 12V
One car waited 30day for a return.

Those are the facts I could gather.

I would suspect a larger % here were the 12V issue. Would be nice to know what the other issue is though ... something as major as a motor failure or minor like a faulty/lose link to the drive train.

·
Super Moderator
674 Posts
I'm aware of one car in the UK that has failed in this way. He's still waiting for parts to be shipped over from China and to be fitted, with a Polestar engineer flying over from Sweden (as I understand it). It's related to some kind of thermal sensor or monitoring of the battery pack. Hopefully this is just a faulty batch or installation in the factory which has since been sorted....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'd personally accept those odds. You know. If the car could get to my driveway in the first place.
I'd rather they sort this out before it gets in my driveway.

And we really don't know the odds. Not knowing the exact cause of the problem -- and the exact fix -- might mean there are a lot more than 30 cars out there waiting to breakdown. And they could be continuing to pump cars out of the factory with the same problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My car broke down a while back. Got an error message tied to the drive unit, however, it appears to be tied to the heating/cooling system - which has
also been reported being the issue in most of the other breakdowns in Norway. They have now gotten new units and are replacing them all over. According to the rumours, all PS2s will be recalled to change the heating/cooling element. Though, the broader issue seems to be that Polestar has launched the car too
early, without sufficient testing. In addition to the issue with the heater, i have had error messages and temporary breakdowns on the 12-volt charging,
parking break, head lights. Alarm going off whenever i charge. Rattling sound from the suspension - and a few other issues, including panel gaps on doors and hood.
This seems to be quite common with a number of cars delivered up here. Polestar support unresponsive for 3 weeks, after 7+ mails and numerous phone calls.

Hopefully this clears up soon, or Polestar will come off to a bad start, which would be ashame, as the car is great.. When it works.

·
Registered
'21 2 | Palo Alto, CA
896 Posts
My car broke down a while back. Got an error message tied to the drive unit, however, it appears to be tied to the heating/cooling system - which has
also been reported being the issue in most of the other breakdowns in Norway. They have now gotten new units and are replacing them all over. According to the rumours, all PS2s will be recalled to change the heating/cooling element. Though, the broader issue seems to be that Polestar has launched the car too
early, without sufficient testing. In addition to the issue with the heater, i have had error messages and temporary breakdowns on the 12-volt charging,
parking break, head lights. Alarm going off whenever i charge. Rattling sound from the suspension - and a few other issues, including panel gaps on doors and hood.
This seems to be quite common with a number of cars delivered up here. Polestar support unresponsive for 3 weeks, after 7+ mails and numerous phone calls.

Hopefully this clears up soon, or Polestar will come off to a bad start, which would be ashame, as the car is great.. When it works.
Thanks for the report!
Do you have your car back yet? Would you classify these as 'teething' issues or something more worrisome?

When you say "a number of cars" would you estimate that it's >50% of cars? 25%? 10%?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Definitely worrisome in the short/medium term. Error messages of some sort seems to appear with a good chunk, if not all of the cars. Not known how many cars have broken down as a result of this, and whether this is what will happen in the end with all cars experiencing error messages, but I believe there have been 5-60 reports so far in social media and in the news in Norway, which is about 5% of the cars. Question is how many are experiencing this and not reporting it online.

It has been speculated that the error messages people are seeing, are all caused by software bugs, and people have somewhat optimistically concluded with this saying that it will be solved through software updates. Even though this issue has partially been accredited to a malfunctioning heating/cooling element, we don’t really know whether this is malfunctioning due to software issues and the error messages - or is the (only) root cause behind it. In any case, I am not impressed with Polestar, seeing that these things have been occurring since the very first cars were delivered, and we are now over two months into delivery. They are yet to provide a fix, even for the presumably more simpler issues like the alarm going off when charging – and they are completely quiet about it.

My car is still being repaired at Volvo, where it has been for 2-3 weeks. They have been quite helpful, even though I am yet to get an update from them, which they are more or less blaming Polestar for, in saying that they are having issues getting through to them as well. I have probably spent 10-15 hours the past weeks – in sending 7-8 e-mails to Polestar, summarizing and describing issues occurring – calling and queuing to talk to them. No replies through e-mail at all, and through phone they have promised to look into and give me an update on the issue and call me back before EOB, which has not happened once. After driving an electrical car for 5-6 years now, I am currently driving a small Toyota rental as a replacement, which is a bit of a drag. While the rental is being paid by Polestar, they are not covering toll and parking, fees, nor petrol – which due to the cheap electricity and good EV benefits in Norway, is costing me 2-300 NOK/20-30 GBP a day in extra costs getting to and from work. This is a serious chunk of money which we haven’t accounted for/have room for in our daily budget – and Polestar have been quite clear that they will not cover it. So, with all of the issues with the car, it ending up at the dealership again, extra costs – and the total lack of follow up by or assistance from Polestar, this is turning into a fairly sour experience. This is by the way also after a ridiculous delivery process where our delivery date was shifted from June to September one month at the time, which caused us being without a car for over a month.

That said, the car is great to drive, and despite all issues, seems to be a car with solid build quality in general. I do also believe that stuff tied to the error messages, software bugs or whatever it is, will be taken care of and fixed, which also goes for the hardware issues encountered, such as rattling suspension, vibrations in the cabin and loose windows in the rear. However.. How much time it will take to get control of things remains to be seen – and, I am not too pleased with ending up as an involuntary beta-tester of the vehicle. Some things are to be expected with a new car, but not this much. These were the exact reasons why I opted against buying a Tesla Model 3 last year – thinking I would avoid this as the Polestar 2 was launched as a premium car being tied to Volvo. However, the way it stands now, Tesla might not be a bad option.

What I am more worried about in the long term with the Polestar 2, is the consumption, which seems to be 3-40% off from the WLTP rating. From driving an E-Golf, Leaf and for a shorter period a Model 3 over the past years, they have been about 10% off from the WLTP in the daily routes I drive. While these are obviously more efficient vehicles, I was expecting higher consumption from the PS2 – but not such a big deviation from the WLTP.

Long post – and a bit of moaning, but with the lack of response from Polestar, social media is the outlet these days.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
663 Posts
@68North - you have every right to complain! Go ahead! We feel your pain.
It's almost as if Volvo could foresee these potential issues & didn't want to associate themselves completely with this first veture into 100% EVs. No doubt they will be learning a lot from this.
To those of us expecting delivery in the next few weeks/months what would you advise?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks @dave!

Not much to add to the check lists already shared on the forum here. I think with the software issues and potential issue with the heating element, this is obviously not possible to pick up on during delivery, so i think you just have to accept that this is the deal for now, and the risks of the car spending a good chunk of time at the dealership. Going through and looking for hardware issues with the car, be-it orange peel, loose windows or panel gaps - i would say is key, and important to get into the delivery acceptance document. Even though i spent spent quite some time preparing for this, in the end; probably due to excitement of getting the car; i was a bit sloppy during delivery - and did accept some stains here and there in the interior, a couple of scratches on the exterior, and some sort of dark residue in between the laminate on the front window. With all of the issues appearing after delivery, i am now regretting not getting all issues noted from the beginning.. So, thats one advise, try to keep the cool during the delivery process (quite difficult, as it is an exciting car to get your hands on!) do the necessary checks, note all things you can see.

Further to that, if you are in a similar situation as us Norwegians, where the consumer law gives you the right to cancel the purchase and deliver the car back up to 14 days after taking delivery, i would do some hard thinking in the days leading up to the deadline. See what issues has appeared, what the general situation/response from Polestar is, and assess whether this is something that could take more time then what you have/are willing to spend on following up on issues. Second aspect is obviously second hand value of the car. If it turns out that the initial VINs are significantly flawed, then that might hurt you when at some point in the future are going to sell/swap the car.

In my case, with all the issues and lack of response from Polestar, realizing that i might simply not have the time nor the desire to keep following up this way, i did decide to cancel the car the day before the deadline. That said, this was a bit of a cheeky manuever based on the knowledge that once my cancellation has been sent, it should be valid - however, that with the lack of response from Polestar this may take (and is taking) weeks to get processed. In the meantime, i buy myself some more time to see where the case with my car is going, and how the PS2 and Polestar in general are doing after some weeks/months on the roads. As is the case for Tesla, and other manufacturers, Polestar will quite surely call me in the end when they get to my cancellation and ask if they can do something to convince me to keep the car, and, by then i would have made the decision. If i end up cancelling it, i am quite sure i will order a new one once they have gotten control of their production and software.

Really hoping that things works out, as i have been looking forward to getting the car since placing a reservation in early 2019. It is also by far the most appealing and one of the most practical EVs out there atm.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
663 Posts
Some great advice, thanks. Somehow I think finding faults is easier at a dealership where you are addressing your first and final point of contact, rather than a delivery guy in overalls driving a trailer.
Good luck moving forwards

·
Registered
279 Posts
Would really help to know what version of the software these errors are being seen with. Not aware of any happening with a late August Kernel and haven't seen any on mine...but could just be part of the lucky 95% 🤞

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would really help to know what version of the software these errors are being seen with. Not aware of any happening with a late August Kernel and haven't seen any on mine...but could just be part of the lucky 95% 🤞
I had an updated software in the beginning of September which was hoped to solve the issue with my 12 volt battery and alarm going off. This did not help. From various facebook groups, i see that quite a few people are going into the dealership for software updates, also after learning through rumours and reports that there are new software versions available from Polestar. Doesnt seem to do the trick for them either, as people are still reporting the same error messages, and even new ones. So, I think the issues are occurring even with the higher VINs being delivered these days - and that Polestar are scrambling to get it fixed. Who knows, maybe the error messages arent really a software thing, but possibly caused by the issues with the mentioned heating/cooling element, where it may be shorting out different sensors and systems.

Hopefully you have been lucky and wont encounter any issues :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This extremely distressing. And while I'm willing to wait for my car, I'd like to know specifically that these issues have been addressed BEFORE delivery, my sense is that Polestar is unlikely to provide any information positive/negative.😒

·
Registered
286 Posts
Very helpful. This solidly has pushed me over the edge to back out. Best of luck to all.
I'm sad to say I am likely in the same boat. You and I are just so far away from any Polestar spaces. My only hope (and this may not be a stretch) is that I do NOT hear from Polestar about delivery for quite a while and can therefore keep my order in an active state until this shitshow gets sorted out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
where the consumer law gives you the right to cancel the purchase and deliver the car back up to 14 days after taking delivery,
Agreed, and the UK sales contract states that as well. But i have discovered there is some latitude being offered by Polestar......
i did decide to cancel the car the day before the deadline. That said, this was a bit of a cheeky manuever based on the knowledge that once my cancellation has been sent, it should be valid
Been there, done that, and got an instant response from them.
Even though i spent spent quite some time preparing for this, in the end; probably due to excitement of getting the car; i was a bit sloppy during delivery
I was the same, despite having had even worse handover experience from Tesla. It's human nature i'm afraid - when you hear the transporter all rational thought and logic goes out the window and you're like a 5 year old at Christmas. My advice - do NOT be rushed. Have a list and go through it at YOUR pace. Do NOT accept anything you are not happy with, it will come back and bite you.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts