Polestar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just popped out to charge car plugged in and charger kept disconnecting. Thought was charger fault tried to get back in car key fob won’t work used emergency key result alarm and horn goes off unable to switch off. Now awaiting recovery !!!!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sounds like a dead 12V battery. 😕

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Vin 17*** so poss still an issue
I doubt it ... there is always a failure rate on things like batteries.

Combined with the cold weather, lockdown and lack of driving, I'm willing to be it just died or was going to die within a year anyway.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
369 Posts
Just popped out to charge car plugged in and charger kept disconnecting. Thought was charger fault tried to get back in car key fob won’t work used emergency key result alarm and horn goes off unable to switch off. Now awaiting recovery !!!!
Alarm activating when using physical key is pretty standard, have you tried placing the key in the designated area in the armrest to see if the car starts?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Does the alarm have its own battery?
Ok let me slightly change my wording .... an "ALMOST" dead battery.

Normally when battiers are about to die you will get the alarm going off, as it thinks someone is trying to tamper with the car.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
369 Posts
Ok let me slightly change my wording .... an "ALMOST" dead battery.

Normally when battiers are about to die you will get the alarm going off, as it thinks someone is trying to tamper with the car.
Well someone did tamper with the car, as the key was used without disarming the alarm!

I get this all the time with my Audi when I use the plastic activity key, starting the engine with an immobiliser registered key (such as the plastic activity key itself) stops the alarm.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well someone did tamper with the car, as the key was used without disarming the alarm!

I get this all the time with my Audi when I use the plastic activity key, starting the engine with an immobiliser registered key (such as the plastic activity key itself) stops the alarm.
Ok not what I meant ... when the battery is low on many cars ... and Alarm isn't getting a proper supply of current, it thinks someone is trying to Disconnect the Battery but doing a bad job if it. So the Alarm goes off, hence why I think it's the 12V battery issue, firstly the central locking isn't working, and then the alarm / horn (another common symptom).

---

Anyway, OP ... let's hope you get it sorted!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Technician arrived in 20 mins seems car would not recognise key !!!
Seems this is a recent known fault !!!
Went home collected spare that was ok tried to charge and big red error message in dash
Managed to drive to Volvo dealer then lift home now waiting for courtesy car.
Only 311 miles on clock
Hope it’s a quick / simple fix

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,026 Posts
It's possible that your On-Board Charger (OBC) has fried itself, and taken out one or more other ECUs on the car, or at the very least upset them all by jamming the data network around the car (the CAN lines). I suspect they might have to replace the OBC and read back the diagnostics from all the others to see if they're ok. There have been a couple of OBC failures that I'm aware of unfortunately, it seems to be a bit of a weak link.

Or it could equally well be an about-to-fail 12V battery as @GDank says, as if the 12V is too low, it won't charge for safety reasons (it can't properly monitor the high voltage battery) and then everything will go Pete Tong.

Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. Got my car back in less than 24 hours. Volvo service said they have updated the software and all is well. No faults were found and no 12v battery issue. Hmm. But now have no 4G just LTE. Call to CS said this is what will now show after the latest software update !!!. But they are going to confirm and get back to me in the next day or so.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Update. Got my car back in less than 24 hours. Volvo service said they have updated the software and all is well. No faults were found and no 12v battery issue. Hmm. But now have no 4G just LTE. Call to CS said this is what will now show after the latest software update !!!. But they are going to confirm and get back to me in the next day or so.
Yes, LTE is 4g. This is one of the changes in the update, it's 100% a visual change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts