Polestar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I aggressively power up my 2016 station wagon Polestar to around 90mph and above,I get fumes in the cabin while the Recir is on. Volvo told me that I will have to turn off the Recir to eliminate the fumes. They also told me there are no leaks. When the Recir if off the fumes go away. I have other sports cars and none of them work like this-meaning that I dont get fumes when Recir is on whether powered up or not. I have also consulted other car owners and none of them know of a Recir system that pull in fumes when the Recir is in the on position. This issue doesn't exist when I am driving below 85Mph.Does anyone have this experience and would it be normal for a Recir system to work this way ?
Any suggestions/feedback will be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Herms

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is something that you need to get addressed ASAP. If you are smelling fumes then you probably also have carbon monoxide in the cabin which can be lethal. I would check the condition of your cabin filter and have your dealer confirm the recirc flap is functioning properly. Check all gaskets and seals too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the above were verified ok by the dealer. The recir flap and cabin filter were also changed.
I would like to know if it’s normal for the recirculating system to pull fumes when on at high revs/speed. Volvo/dealer told me that the only way to prevent fumes coming into the cabin when at high speed is to turn off the recirculating system. I don’t know of any recirculating system that work like this.
Regards and thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This has been reported on other vehicles when using the recirculating system but the intensity varies from one car to another. Have seen VW and Honda owners complain about the exact same thing, with no real solution to the problem. This system is meant to cut off all outside air, hence the more pronounced smell. Has your dealer tried hooking your car up to a fogging machine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion.
The dealer changed the flaps and recalibrate the blend actuators. They also changed the cabin filter. No leaks in the system detected. Problem still exist. They have no plausible explanation. shop foreman is of the opinion that it's a poorly designed system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
European automakers aren't known to come up with the best designs although they'll create vehicles that are aesthetically pleasing. Volvo/Polestar is set to release even more vehicles. Hopefully future iterations don't have these issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If Polestar eventually goes with an advanced cabin air system like Tesla we might not have an option to go aftermarket... as I recently heard. It turns out automakers want to clamp down on anything aftermarket.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If Polestar eventually goes with an advanced cabin air system like Tesla we might not have an option to go aftermarket... as I recently heard. It turns out automakers want to clamp down on anything aftermarket.
You might be right.
The price of OEM parts can add up to a lot over time but fortunately free maintenance programs have become normal for the first 3 years of ownership. So its not a major concern.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts