Polestar Forum banner

Can Anyone Remember The Fix For the Car Thinking it’s Charging?

5K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  krheinwald 
#1 ·
I’m stuck right now. I stopped charging to pop out & the car thinks I’m still connected to the charger. Was there a quick fix? I did the reboot, shut down, now trying the walk away & leave 20 mins.
Added: got hold of Polestar on the Helpmepolestar button. Got a call from a Volvo/P* tech guy- “ Walk away Renée”. 2nd one he’s had locally in 24 hours. He thinks it may be connected to the heating schedule update.

#2 ·
Can you press the button to pause charging?

Is the cable still connected, i.e. would it let you release the cable? Rapid or home charger?

Also try sitting in the car, pressing the door lock button on the centre console, then the door unlock button:

Failing all of that, the lock it and walk away from the car (so it doesn't "see" the fob) for 10-15 minutes is the next thing, yes.

If that doesn't work, are you in a position to plug the cable back in, get it charging, then stop charging?

#4 ·
Hmm... maybe try plugging it in to charge again but this time pressing the unlock button on the infotainment system and waiting for it to think it's paused/stopped charging before removing the cable?

Things to try while munching soup :).

Are you able to stand on one leg and whistle the Star Spangled Banner backwards while offering an M&S prime sirloin steak to the gods of charging?

Good luck!

Reactions: Terran
#7 ·
Good point - try setting the charging limit to being well below the current charge state... then maybe plug in again, count to 10, then turn off charging...

#9 ·
Technician/mechanic thinks it’s an Onboard Charger issue.
If this happens to anyone else, when you walk away for 20mins just shut down the normal way (park, leave car & lock). This allows a quicker shut down.
Can’t tell you anything else I’ve learned. I couldn’t cope with the guilt

#10 ·
Thanks, noted... so are you still stuck? Does the car need retrieving? :(

#11 ·
He got it going.
As soon as he arrived he got it moving by forcing it in a way he couldn’t show me. Sorted now though. But he advised I book it in with Volvo. Waiting for them to call back. Not sure what they’ll be able to do if I have the latest firmware.
As I was stood outside with him I also noticed a roof panel lifting on 1 side. So that’s nice

#12 ·
He got it going.
As soon as he arrived he got it moving by forcing it in a way he couldn’t show me. Sorted now though. But he advised I book it in with Volvo. Waiting for them to call back. Not sure what they’ll be able to do if I have the latest firmware.
As I was stood outside with him I also noticed a roof panel lifting on 1 side. So that’s nice
View attachment 2247
Maybe that was from when it was wrapped rather than Polestar. May just need pushing down to click into place.
Hope you get home ok.

#15 ·
Glad you're not stuck, but it does sound like a genuine bug. We need to watch to see what combination of button presses they do to unstick such situations...

How annoying about the roof wrap causing presumably the plastic panel to pop back out, perhaps contracting in the colder weather and wasn't re-affixed properly? Must admit I'm not sure exactly how the wraps are done but this confirms my approach of not touching such things.

If the misted lights don't clear, it means the vacuum seal has gone in the lights which is normally a manufacturing defect and results in the whole light having to be replaced if it doesn't clear itself once they've been on for a bit.

Not your day is it Dave? :(

Reactions: ProfessorCook
#26 ·
Just saw their top poster list.
Is it a requirement to look like a serial killer? I mean that in a nice way 😬 (glad I hid my VIN & Reg!) We look way more normal
Not sure hiding you Reg & Vin will help in your case lol!! Your 1st car pictures with a certain cash and carry in distance identified your location immediately and sadly companies house would do the rest!! Hopefully he is not a vindictive serial killer who does takes offence when a buyer switched from a German car to Chinese........actually he must be OK as he chose Polestar over Geman made too!

#28 ·
Hmm, that site is rather on another level!! I wish I could in some way get something cool to offer as a prize, but it would come out of my own fair pocket... :rolleyes:

#29 ·
Was only joking. Would actually hope Polestar would be checking in on this forum and gathering feedback and a bit of participation from their side (and PRIZES) i am sure would be appreciated...Ist prize new roof for Dave.....2nd prize new windscreen for Dave.....3rd prize New Lights for Dave...4th prize new tyre (For Dave ...seems kinda inevitable) 5th prize ??

Re the other site less international than this one me thinks and plenty of occasions when they quoted info gained from the valuable information current owners have shared on this forum and vice versa. Bit off topic but the German owners experience at start seems by far the worst due to lack of dealer coverage but finally seems to be improving.

#30 ·
Did you try the Car Icon > More > Power Off to see if that can help expedite the 20 minute waiting process?? or is the 20 min wait for Polestar Voodoo or something else to kick off?

#31 ·
20 mins is apparently the time for the 12v battery to disconnect from the thing I’ve forgotten. If you piss about too much doing the system shutdown doodah the thingy wonders what’s up & tries to reconnect hence you’re better standardly shutting down.
Any jobs going in customer services?

#34 ·
Well here is the pic and instructions as per what Krheinwald discovered.
"The PP has a resistance sensor pointing to earth. The lower the resistance, the higher the car can charge with this cable. Probably there is some malfunction that makes that PP think there is another cable connected to the car. By shorting this to the PE, the 'felt' resistance goes to 0, causing the car to stop charging"

For anyone who is brave enough to try it i take no responsibilty as all doubledutch to me as i am quite capable of producing a short circuit putting batteries in a torch and if i tried the above would probably end up causing an explosion that would take out the eastern half of shropshire.

#38 ·
I wonder if you could have the same result by plugging in the Type 2 cable that came with the car? That may well have a termination resistor in there which would have the same effect. Obviously, don't plug the other end in, just literally plug in one end of the cable into the car and leave the other end dangling...

#40 ·
I wonder if you could have the same result by plugging in the Type 2 cable that came with the car?
I tried that, it didn't help. The supplied cable has a 680Ω between those pins, a 32A cable has a 220Ω resistor between PP an PE, neither helped.

Maybe I should put a set of assorted resistors in the glove box to test which resistance is needed to reset the charging logic ;)

The PP pin is not connected through to the other end, btw.

#43 ·
Sometimes it does feel like that, yes :oops:

Are those pins covered or would a simple touch across them with a pair of pliers be possible? Or even a paperclip?

#45 ·
No kids thankfully and the dog would watch while I fried ;)

Actually I meant are those pins sheathed and need a cover pushing back on them or are they simply prongs?

#46 ·
Protective Earth and PP should both be unsheathed, you should just be able to poke your coat hanger wire on to the ends of the terminals. The line connectors usually have a plastic tip to them but you don't need to concern yourself with those.

Reactions: rgledhill
#47 ·
All this reminds me of when my 968 wouldn't start in the middle of nowhere. Luckily could get a phone signal so Googled it and found it was likely to be a faulty DME relay. Again a temporary fix was to use a paperclip (scrounged from a nearby house) across 2 pins to start the fuel pump. Got us home but you have to remember to disconnect the relay when you stop otherwise the fuel pump keeps running.
Always kept a paperclip in the car since then and will put one in the Polestar now!
Now we know what the front boot or rear underfloor area are there for, to keep all the things you need to get you going again! :)

#51 ·
I have printed off the picture and will put it in the front boot together with a suitable bit of wire :)

#52 ·
I think we are all forgetting that this is exactly what happened to mine this past Sunday. Tech came out and did the usual forced reset which I am guessing is akin to Carl-Alt-Del. I also had the recommendation to book it into Paul Rigby and she’s been there since Monday to understand this, fix other niggles and get the new update applied.

So lady on reception tells me that misted up lights in Volvos is normal???

No idea what my fault was so hoping that Nov update will cure but that’s the same as Dave’s!!

On the good news front they have my jack, first aid kit etc.

#54 ·
It actually seriously annoys me that polluting vehicles have pre-conditioning as I assume this runs the engine? For a start that's illegal in the UK, unless it's on private land, and it's utterly irresponsible to sit there belching fumes out because you (not you specifically, you understand!) can't be bothered to clean the windscreen. It really should be an EV-only thing...

Reactions: ProfessorCook
#55 ·
ICE preconditioning uses a dedicated fuel burner to heat the engine and cabin. The two main manufacturers of these systems are webasto and eberspacher. The heaters generally output 5kw of power. They are actually pretty efficient for what they are. They've been a common option for many car brands in countries such as Sweden for a long time and are standard on some PHEV models in all markets so that the cabin can be heated when driving in EV mode.

Agreed about the pollution although given they are. More fuel efficient for heat than running the engine then maybe the impact isn't so large given that the engine will run warm from the start and therefore be more efficient.

Reactions: rgledhill
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.