Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
You can only swap left and right on the Polestar, you won't be able to swap rear to front due to different sizes.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I don't know ... I've never rotated tyres. I was just stating what you can / can't do.
The benefit most often cited is prolonged tire life, but I think rotation actually shortens tire life. Note also that there are directional tires out there. They require a specific rotation direction for the tread to work properly. Those tires cannot be swapped from left to right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thats pretty much what I expect, November delivery. Suits me fine as I have my current car untile december end. Sad to put a brand new and shiny car on the road at the beginning of dirty and salty winter.
I plan to keep my Mazda 3 as a winter beater for 2020 anyway. I plan on parking my P2 and covering it in my garage until April. Since my insurance doesn't have a premium for me yet that might be the best bet.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Thread pattern is designed to force water and slushy snow from the center to the outside.

Mounting this winter tire the wrong direction will bring water in the center and cause hydroplanning.
Exactly! Ah... I see the misunderstanding... When people talk about tire rotation, they're usually talking about taking the wheels off and reinstalling them in different locations, ostensibly to get more life out of them. I'm not a fan of that.

But then there's the rotational direction of the tire when mounted and the car is moving forward. That matters in directional tires and I'm a big fan of such tires as tread can be optimized as you point out.

So common use of our English terminology can lead to confusion.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Watch this :
Good stuff! What she should have also said is that when you've got your winter tires on, your not wearing out your summer tires and vice versa. So buying winter tires doesn't represent a direct extra cost. There is, of course, extra cost if you also buy a new set of rims which is a good idea for convenience and to avoid the stress and hassle of mounting and remounting tires twice a year.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The tires on the P2 are the same size, and so front to back rotation is possible for the tires, just not the wheels. In that sense it's not a DIY job. Given that the P2 is 4 wheel drive, rotation is not as critical for tire wear since all should wear similarly. The fronts might wear a little more since they take the brunt of the braking. That's balanced a little by the P2's rear drive bias. Many moons ago when there were non-radial tires it was common to cross rotate and swap tires side to side. With the advent of the radial tire, that practice is no longer necessary or recommended.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've seen in the owners manual a warning not to rotate wheels front to back on the car. Do they use different size wheels (width? offset?) front and back?
The 20" wheels are 8" rims in the front and 9" in the rear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do we know if that's the same in the non-Performance Pack 20" wheels?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So I had a chat with Mike today...estimated deliveries are in October end-Nov first week....he said the shipment will arrive at the east coast..so probably customers in Ontario/Quebec will get to test drive earlier than those in BC....

·
Registered
409 Posts
So I had a chat with Mike today...estimated deliveries are in October end-Nov first week....he said the shipment will arrive at the east coast..so probably customers in Ontario/Quebec will get to test drive earlier than those in BC....
Not sure how it works - but couldn't the Vancouver (+area) folks get cars transported up from California? Or directly to Vancouver from China? Seems silly to first send to the East coast and then make the folks wait for land transport on the West coast.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not sure how it works - but couldn't the Vancouver (+area) folks get cars transported up from California? Or directly to Vancouver from China? Seems silly to first send to the East coast and then make the folks wait for land transport on the West coast.
Supply chains work in weird ways. Fedex's entire business plan was originally predicated on shipping everything through Memphis regardless of whether it was shipping across town or across the country.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's what I was told when I ordered at the end of July for Montreal delivery. So at least there's some consistency in the delivery timing promise.
Unfortunately, the test drive promises went from July, to September to sometime this Fall. I'm coming to terms with a possible purchase never having seen or driven the actual car, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That's what I was told when I ordered at the end of July for Montreal delivery. So at least there's some consistency in the delivery timing promise.
Unfortunately, the test drive promises went from July, to September to sometime this Fall. I'm coming to terms with a possible purchase never having seen or driven the actual car, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
You aren't the only one...

21 - 40 of 69 Posts