Polestar Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello canadian friends,
I had my test drive this morning. Sylvain brought the car at my home on time.
He was very kind, he's a pro pilot and driving trainer, knew a lot about cars and told me he really liked this one.
He was praising it to be perfect for our shitty winters (AWD, low center of gravity, heated radar, heated camera, heated wipers, headlight washers, etc.)

I was happy to finally be able to see the car, gauge the proportions, feel the materials, etc.
I did not fully test the power, will enjoy this more when the car is mine.

Pros
  • Trunk deeper (length) than expected, should be well enough. Way more usable than my last sedan !! (S40T5)
  • Comfortable seating position, center console fears are gone
  • Undercarriage is rugged for winter (I lied down on the road, saw no felt-type material like the Model 3)
  • Screen size is exactly like I wished (was scared it would be too big)
  • Regen set to Off and Creep set to On drives like a regular automatic car
  • Elbows position comfortable for long distance (same height, same padding)
  • Really nice materials on the doors and dash
  • Blind spot warning light in the mirror is nice, better than LED inside the car like my V60
  • Trunk foot detector works all the time (if you kick as instructed in the manual and don't swipe/dance like all journalists)
Cons
  • Ceiling material (molded hard felt) feels kinda cheap compared to my V60 (smooth soft padded fabric)
  • Not sure all materials will stay clean
  • Google Maps has A LOT of work to do to catch up with PlugShare + ABRP
  • Dead zone in the accelerator, I will get used to it...
  • It was hard for me to enter in the back (i'm 6'2")
  • No storage in the fold-able armrest in the back (i'm nitpicking)
I wish I could have tested the car in 10 inches of snow, in the evening.
To test the regen braking on slippery road and to see the ambiance lighting.

Now, one important note, for us in Canada.
Sylvain showed us the headlights and bragged about the adaptive pixel matrix.
I told him that since the USA does not allow this technology, I was expecting this feature to be disabled on all cars coming to America.
He was not aware of that, surprised, and quickly left a note in his notebook, and called me back 30 minutes later with an answer.

Polestar Canada told him that they are currently in talks with Transport Canada.
The technology, globally, has already been approved in Canada, in 2018.
All cars have the hardware ready, and the feature will probably be enabled someday, when the government says ok.
We just have to be patient.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hello canadian friends,
I had my test drive this morning. Sylvain brought the car at my home on time.
He was very kind, he's a pro pilot and driving trainer, knew a lot about cars and told me he really liked this one.
He was praising it to be perfect for our shitty winters (AWD, low center of gravity, heated radar, heated camera, heated wipers, headlight washers, etc.)

I was happy to finally be able to see the car, gauge the proportions, feel the materials, etc.
I did not fully test the power, will enjoy this more when the car is mine.

Pros
  • Trunk deeper (length) than expected, should be well enough. Way more usable than my last sedan !! (S40T5)
  • Comfortable seating position, center console fears are gone
  • Undercarriage is rugged for winter (I lied down on the road, saw no felt-type material like the Model 3)
  • Screen size is exactly like I wished (was scared it would be too big)
  • Regen set to Off and Creep set to On drives like a regular automatic car
  • Elbows position comfortable for long distance (same height, same padding)
  • Really nice materials on the doors and dash
  • Blind spot warning light in the mirror is nice, better than LED inside the car like my V60
  • Trunk foot detector works all the time (if you kick as instructed in the manual and don't swipe/dance like all journalists)
Cons
  • Ceiling material (molded hard felt) feels kinda cheap compared to my V60 (smooth soft padded fabric)
  • Not sure all materials will stay clean
  • Google Maps has A LOT of work to do to catch up with PlugShare + ABRP
  • Dead zone in the accelerator, I will get used to it...
  • It was hard for me to enter in the back (i'm 6'2")
  • No storage in the fold-able armrest in the back (i'm nitpicking)
I wish I could have tested the car in 10 inches of snow, in the evening.
To test the regen braking on slippery road and to see the ambiance lighting.

Now, one important note, for us in Canada.
Sylvain showed us the headlights and bragged about the adaptive pixel matrix.
I told him that since the USA does not allow this technology, I was expecting this feature to be disabled on all cars coming to America.
He was not aware of that, surprised, and quickly left a note in his notebook, and called me back 30 minutes later with an answer.

Polestar Canada told him that they are currently in talks with Transport Canada.
The technology, globally, has already been approved in Canada, in 2018.
All cars have the hardware ready, and the feature will probably be enabled someday, when the government says ok.
We just have to be patient.

View attachment 1216
Agreed on all points after owning in the UK for 2 weeks. As for the dead zone, you do get used to it. It's good to limit acceleration and conserve energy under normal driving and if you want to get slammed in the back of the seat you just mash the accelerator to the floor

·
Registered
39 Posts
I fully agree with Lowrent comments having driven the car too. I left it at regular regen, no creep for true one pedal driving. center console was not an issue for me either. I did fully test the power a couple of time, including passing a truck on a 2 lane road in the country side. :cool:

I found the car to be very quiet and refined, truly a mature car. Loved It!

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I may have the opportunity to test drive the Mach-e before having to make a final decision on the Polestar after all. Not a bad scenario.
I was considering taking a drive in the Mach E for comparison. My concerns over the Ford is the charge point location is not convenient for me. The financing rate at 4.99% is terrible and my overall concern of the build quality vs the P2

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agreed on all points after owning in the UK for 2 weeks. As for the dead zone, you do get used to it. It's good to limit acceleration and conserve energy under normal driving and if you want to get slammed in the back of the seat you just mash the accelerator to the floor
thank you for all the details. You have me excited that the Pixel headlights may actually be active in Canada. Also your comment on the trunk being deeper than expected is great news.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will probably try, enjoy and adopt one pedal driving over time, at my own pace.
But it was important for me to validate that "normal" driving is possible and seamless.
My girlfriend will get the V60 and she will probably drive the Polestar only a few times a year, using normal mode.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Because you can't actually turn regen off, turning one pedal driving off will almost always be more efficient as coasting is more efficient than regen in situations where you can do either

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Thunder is the correct color choice. :)

(sorry, Lowrent, can't recall if this is actually the color you ordered. but looks fabulous on the test vehicle)
I appreciate your detailed comments, especially those focussed on snowy-climate driving. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
The only real way to get better efficiency is to avoid accelerating when you expect to have to slow down :cool:
Because even coasting is sending power to the motors !!
"One-pedal driving" and "regen braking" are two concepts that gives EV drivers a distorted reality of physics.

·
Registered
23 Posts

(sorry, Lowrent, can't recall if this is actually the color you ordered. but looks fabulous on the test vehicle)
I appreciate your detailed comments, especially those focussed on snowy-climate driving. Thanks!!!!
after the vehicle in person meet and greet along with test drive in two weeks that i have been promised. if i like another exterior and or interior colour i wont be shy to change my order.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I ordered Thunder back in november 2019.
I visited a Volvo dealer parking lot and could not find any Thunder car but saw plenty of beautiful Midnight (Denim Blue).
I decided to switch.

Thunder is nice but not enough metallic to my taste.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I forgot one important thing I wanted to confirm for a long time : Charge port has a MASSIVE rubber gasket.
I mean, compare those two and try to convince me Tesla is designed for freezing water :

·
Registered
47 Posts
The test drive booking for Vancouver also opened up today. Happened to be on the call with PS and they advised today was first day to book for Vancouver. Tried to book and even with an address in downtown Vancouver everything turns out fully booked. Completely booked out, you can't even select a date. That after only opening the website for half a day.
So far for the people who actually ordered and paid the down payment. I really don't think this is fair. There should be a different number of slots guaranteed for those who paid.
I'm now very seriously reconsidering ! What a disappointment...:(

·
Registered
567 Posts
The test drive booking for Vancouver also opened up today. Happened to be on the call with PS and they advised today was first day to book for Vancouver. Tried to book and even with an address in downtown Vancouver everything turns out fully booked. Completely booked out, you can't even select a date. That after only opening the website for half a day.
So far for the people who actually ordered and paid the down payment. I really don't think this is fair. There should be a different number of slots guaranteed for those who paid.
I'm now very seriously reconsidering ! What a disappointment...:(
That is disappointing. Here in SF we got a heads up email right when the site opened to the public. Without that heads up I wouldn't have known to immediately go online. I'm glad I did immediately go because the site booked up for the first >1 week within a couple hours of being open. Seems they didn't give you the heads up?

Hard to know but it seems the demand or at least curiosity is well outpacing their allocations for each of our markets. So they have little incentive to cater too much to us (sometimes long-standing) pre-order holders.

Also it seems certain things are subject to what the local dealer is meant to be handling versus Polestar central (Mike/Alane) and this might fall into that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So far for the people who actually ordered and paid the down payment.
I don't understand. Are you saying you have or have not made a down payment. I believe they said they're giving priority to those that have confirmed orders (i.e. 24 hours or something). After that, test drives will be open to the general public.

I have no problem with this policy as the ones that are receiving their car in a few weeks should definitely get a chance to drive before those that are less committed.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
It's been important to me right from the start that this car is designed with cold weather in mind. I'll go so far as to say that Teslas are California beach cars. Snarky, I know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thunder is nice but not enough metallic to my taste.
Interesting. That's exactly what I like about it (at least from what I see in pictures). It looks very creamy. Anyway, I honestly like all the colors. And Midnight Blue was my second choice!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't understand. Are you saying you have or have not made a down payment. I believe they said they're giving priority to those that have confirmed orders (i.e. 24 hours or something). After that, test drives will be open to the general public.

I have no problem with this policy as the ones that are receiving their car in a few weeks should definitely get a chance to drive before those that are less committed.
Nope, it's the other way round. I paid 1500 CAD in February 2019 and have a confirmed delivery. There's no such thing as priority booking for test drives. First come first serve. All available test drives were booked out in half a day. I wasn't even notified. Just found out by pure coincidence being on the phone with CS about something else...
Test drive no.longer possible...

81 - 100 of 110 Posts