Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Launch edition | Midnight | Leather | 19"
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone -- I'm close to purchasing a Polestar 2 in Canada. Eager for advice about the pros and cons of home chargers: (1) ChargePoint or Grizzl-E? (2) NEMA 6-50 or 14-50? No one seems to give me a straight answer on the latter question - even electricians! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi, everyone -- I'm close to purchasing a Polestar 2 in Canada. Eager for advice about the pros and cons of home chargers: (1) ChargePoint or Grizzl-E? (2) NEMA 6-50 or 14-50? No one seems to give me a straight answer on the latter question - even electricians! Thanks in advance.
I’d go 14-50 (I did go 14-50).

Here’s a nice write up on the difference:

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
340 Posts
I have installed 3 chargers at home and learned a lot in the process. If 40 amp or less is what you plan on using then 8 gauge wire is all you need for power delivery. If 48 amp is of interest or could be in the future you could install 6 gauge and know if that you can upgrade in the future. I like Juice Box but I find their cables stiff and difficult to work with in subzero temperatures. Charge Point's home system looks nice and will likely replace one of mine in the future. I only have one dumb charger, Bosch 30 amp as we got a $650 rebate buying our Kia Soul EV. I have other Smart chargers and suggest them based on my experience. Two of my chargers are hardwired. If shopping for a plug version, NEMA 14-50 is the way to go for Canada. If you buy a plug-in charger you will be able to disconnect, replace or take with you on a trip easily. Autochargers.ca is a great website to shop.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
The ChargePoint cable is supposed to be more flexible and the app works easily for both home charging and charging in the wild.

The cable that comes with the car can plug into a NEMA 14-50 outlet, so I think that's a good choice. If my charger fails, I can plug directly into the wall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the kind replies. There's a clear consensus here for 14-50 so that helps a lot. I'm now mulling whether it's worth the extra $$ to buy a 'smart' charger such as the ChargePoint vs. the Grizzl-E, which gets great reviews but doesn't seem to have the app connectivity. Any thoughts on that? I really appreciate this group!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a simple charger. I'd say, imagine yourself two years from now looking back on this decision... Which charger are you glad you bought?

Also realize that you may well have the charger longer than you have the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just wanted to point out that Grizzl-E does have a "smart" version. The only issue is that they don't provide a complete solution (similar to ChargePoint or others where app + server are provided as a complete package).

The charger needs a server to report to (the company does provide one at acharger.ca, although it seems very barebones. I had eyed an open source server implementation I intend to deploy on my home server so that I don't have to rely on a third party). Then you need some kind of application (mobile or otherwise) that can connect to an OCPP 1.6-based server. So it's definitely a lot more work, but I'm in to that stuff anyway and I really think it's a bonus to run the server on my own hardware.

Main reason I bought the Grizzl-E is that I don't have WiFi access as my parking spot is in a concrete garage in the first floor basement of a condo building, which makes most smart chargers difficult to take advantage of. I looked at the Flo X5, which has a powerline communicator build in that would have worked, but is a lot more expensive and caps at 30A. The smart Grizzl-E was only ~$25 more than the non-smart version (so if I can't get the WiFi features, it's no big deal) and the smart features are billed as an "extra" and not part of the core operation of the unit. So if I can't get a powerline communicator hooked up, it's not a whole lot of extra cash to sink in.

Wish I could provide working experience, but I'm still waiting for both car and charger installation. We've just entered the typical 2 week "construction holidays" here so I couldn't get an electrician out to even start the process until August. Hoping I can get the charger installed by September!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the ChargePoint Home for 4 years. My model puts out a max of 32 amps, but there are newer models. Max I could put in my house was a 40 amp breaker, and since the electrical line to my house is buried it made little sense to upgrade the power delivery to my house due to cost. The app works great, WIFI connection also. It is a well designed product. Can't speak for other chargers. Mine is plugged in. The Polestar app does not notify me when the charging is complete, but the ChargePoint app does tell me when the car stops charging, says it is drawing little power and is most likely charged. Something else you can do is to stop or disable charging from the app, if for example you don't want anyone to use your charger when you are not home and the charger is outside. But beyond that, perhaps not a necessity to have a WIFI enabled charger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for the kind and comprehensive replies. I purchased the ChargePoint 14-50 with the 'long-term value' idea in mind. And I picked up my Polestar 2 in Toronto this week!

·
Registered
P2, Snow, Slate, PP, Hitch, Nextbase Dashcam, 20% Tint, Polestar, give us more regen. breaking!
340 Posts
Most of the NEMA 14-50 chargers are just that. A plug and then some screws to mount the charger to the wall. I've wired two hardwire chargers now and I find it's not worth the effort.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Reasons I opted for the Flo G5 :
  • It's mounted on the front of my house, I wanted the best looking design
  • I live on the south shore of Montréal, lots of snow, lots of ice, lots of cold temperature
  • Box and cable materials are commercial grade and works at -40°C

·
Registered
340 Posts
Reasons I opted for the Flo G5 :
  • It's mounted on the front of my house, I wanted the best looking design
  • I live on the south shore of Montréal, lots of snow, lots of ice, lots of cold temperature
  • Box and cable materials are commercial grade and works at -40°C
It's a nice charger. I wouldn't hesitate to get one. I was looking at them the other day. How is the cable, nice and flexible?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most of the NEMA 14-50 chargers are just that. A plug and then some screws to mount the charger to the wall. I've wired two hardwire chargers now and I find it's not worth the effort.
How far off the ground is the receptacle typically installed for a garage? I imagine flooding is a concern...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I went with the ChargePoint Home Flex, namely for the flexible cable in frigid temps and an app that's easy to use and built into the car.

My only real complaint is that their app doesn't support two home chargers, so annoyingly, I have to have one home charger and account on my phone, and the other home charger and a second account on my wife's phone.

They should be able to do something about that, and I hope they do.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I went with the ChargePoint Home Flex, namely for the flexible cable in frigid temps and an app that's easy to use and built into the car.

My only real complaint is that their app doesn't support two home chargers, so annoyingly, I have to have one home charger and account on my phone, and the other home charger and a second account on my wife's phone.

They should be able to do something about that, and I hope they do.
ya that is a big miscalculation on them. Our other smart charger is a JuiceBox. I find both apps are good but the CharePoint app tells me what kW level and km/h I'm getting which I enjoy. After everything I've learned from buying, installing and using the ChargePoint does the job perfectly right now. I only have a 100 amp service to my house, we have had the A/C on, both cars charging and the oven on without anything tripping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts