Polestar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alane informed me today on the phone that there's a difference between the 19" and 20" tire specification for Canadian deliveries (could be same in other countries, I did not ask) :

• 19" wheels come standard with All Season (M+S) tires.
  • 20" wheels come standard with summer tires only, hence the requirement for those with strong winters to also buy winter tires (Alane confirmed they will be offered as an option in Canada)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is that true for non PP 20 inch rims and do we have the option of substituting all seasons prior to purchase?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that true for non PP 20 inch rims and do we have the option of substituting all seasons prior to purchase?
What I understood from Alane was that if your order 20" wheels, they will come with summer only as a default. I did not have the impression that a substitution was possible. You can call him on the 800 number just to be sure if that's important for your order.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just chatted with Alane and you are correct. All 20” rims come with the summer tires. They will offer a winter tire package as an accessory but you can’t swap the summer for all weather prior to delivery. The only way I can get all weather tires is to cancel my order and change to 19” rims. Guess Ill be shopping for all weather tires in December.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I hope I'll get my car before novembre. It would suck to get the car on 4-seasons in december and having to buy a set of Nokian right away.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Kind of related: Is there an accepted 'best' set of tires for EVs for daily and highway driving that maximize range/efficiency and minimize noise?

I believe the 19" rims come with the same Michelin primacy 4 245/45R19 tires that Teslas come on stock, so I'm pretty comfortable just rolling with those and grabbing a set of winter tires if covid ever allows us to take a vacation again to a place with snow. [in California we have winter is optional].

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the full tire and rim specification for both sizes of rims. This confirms that indeed the wheels/tires cannot be rotated as already mentioned in another post. The front and rear rim width is different for both the 19" and 20" wheels - in fact the rear rims are 1" wider (9") compared to the front rims (8"):

19" wheels
Front:
Tires: 245/45 R19
Rims: 8Jx19xET50
Rear:
Tires: 245/45 R19
Rims: 9Jx19xET53

20" wheels
Front:
Tires: 245/40 R20
Rims: 8Jx20xET50
Rear:
Tires: 245/40 R20
Rims: 9Jx20xET53

Rims:
bolt circle: 5 bolts 108mm
center bore: 63.3mm
ET=offset depth

Tires:
Lowest approved load index: 99
Lowest permitted speed class: H (210km/h)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for those specs. I've ordered the non-PP 20" wheels and I'm assuming that the specs are the same as the PP-20" wheels, even if the rims are a different style.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Speaking of tires, it seems the "additional winter wheels" option, available in Europe, comes with Continental tires (same brand as the PP summer tires).

Studded : Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9
Non-studded : Continental Viking Contact 7

We can assume that cars delivered in Canada during winter will be on Continentals.

I would much prefer Nokian Hakkapelitta tires.

If my delivery date slips too much, I'll need to have a talk with CS.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
We can assume that cars delivered in Canada during winter will be on Continentals.
I'm not sure if we can actually assume that. The cars still might come with the summer tires.

I'm still thinking a good option will be to buy a winter wheel set from Tire Rack and that would likely mean the Nokian tires would be an option.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not sure if we can actually assume that. The cars still might come with the summer tires.
In Québec, winter tires are mandatory from December 1 to March 15. I thought dealers had to comply with the law but you're right, there is an exception for new cars, you have 7 days to put winter tires.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
But you're right, there is an exception for new cars, you have 7 days to put winter tires.
Just to be clear, I really didn't know... I was just speculating. (I don't want to take undeserved credit, lol.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts