Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alane informed me today on the phone that there's a difference between the 19" and 20" tire specification for Canadian deliveries (could be same in other countries, I did not ask) :

• 19" wheels come standard with All Season (M+S) tires.
  • 20" wheels come standard with summer tires only, hence the requirement for those with strong winters to also buy winter tires (Alane confirmed they will be offered as an option in Canada)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that true for non PP 20 inch rims and do we have the option of substituting all seasons prior to purchase?
What I understood from Alane was that if your order 20" wheels, they will come with summer only as a default. I did not have the impression that a substitution was possible. You can call him on the 800 number just to be sure if that's important for your order.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just chatted with Alane and you are correct. All 20” rims come with the summer tires. They will offer a winter tire package as an accessory but you can’t swap the summer for all weather prior to delivery. The only way I can get all weather tires is to cancel my order and change to 19” rims. Guess Ill be shopping for all weather tires in December.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I hope I'll get my car before novembre. It would suck to get the car on 4-seasons in december and having to buy a set of Nokian right away.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Kind of related: Is there an accepted 'best' set of tires for EVs for daily and highway driving that maximize range/efficiency and minimize noise?

I believe the 19" rims come with the same Michelin primacy 4 245/45R19 tires that Teslas come on stock, so I'm pretty comfortable just rolling with those and grabbing a set of winter tires if covid ever allows us to take a vacation again to a place with snow. [in California we have winter is optional].

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the full tire and rim specification for both sizes of rims. This confirms that indeed the wheels/tires cannot be rotated as already mentioned in another post. The front and rear rim width is different for both the 19" and 20" wheels - in fact the rear rims are 1" wider (9") compared to the front rims (8"):

19" wheels
Front:
Tires: 245/45 R19
Rims: 8Jx19xET50
Rear:
Tires: 245/45 R19
Rims: 9Jx19xET53

20" wheels
Front:
Tires: 245/40 R20
Rims: 8Jx20xET50
Rear:
Tires: 245/40 R20
Rims: 9Jx20xET53

Rims:
bolt circle: 5 bolts 108mm
center bore: 63.3mm
ET=offset depth

Tires:
Lowest approved load index: 99
Lowest permitted speed class: H (210km/h)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for those specs. I've ordered the non-PP 20" wheels and I'm assuming that the specs are the same as the PP-20" wheels, even if the rims are a different style.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Speaking of tires, it seems the "additional winter wheels" option, available in Europe, comes with Continental tires (same brand as the PP summer tires).

Studded : Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9
Non-studded : Continental Viking Contact 7

We can assume that cars delivered in Canada during winter will be on Continentals.

I would much prefer Nokian Hakkapelitta tires.

If my delivery date slips too much, I'll need to have a talk with CS.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
We can assume that cars delivered in Canada during winter will be on Continentals.
I'm not sure if we can actually assume that. The cars still might come with the summer tires.

I'm still thinking a good option will be to buy a winter wheel set from Tire Rack and that would likely mean the Nokian tires would be an option.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm not sure if we can actually assume that. The cars still might come with the summer tires.
In Québec, winter tires are mandatory from December 1 to March 15. I thought dealers had to comply with the law but you're right, there is an exception for new cars, you have 7 days to put winter tires.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
But you're right, there is an exception for new cars, you have 7 days to put winter tires.
Just to be clear, I really didn't know... I was just speculating. (I don't want to take undeserved credit, lol.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Speaking of tires, it seems the "additional winter wheels" option, available in Europe, comes with Continental tires (same brand as the PP summer tires).

What about Non-studded Nokian Hakkapeliita tires?

Studded tires are not permitted in Southern Ontario, basically anywhere south of Sudbury. Are the Viking Contact 7 ones better that non-studded application, do you know?
I want 17 inch winter rims, (apparently better road grip as well as better range performance from the battery with the smallest wheels in the cold season. Another Q. is whether you ordered or arranged for ceramic or other paint finish protection or under the battery protection?

( I don't have the car yet, [ I ordered it in July or August I can't precisely recall] ... who knows exactly when ... I am in no big hurry in view of all the early adopter glitches.

I doubt Polestar Toronto or Polestar Canada really knows either as we are now. staring at a 28 day Lockdown from Dec. 26th to January 25th

Polestar. 2 non PP 19 inch wheels, with trailer hitch, floor mats and roof rails. Order # 11014XXX

·
Registered
11 Posts
What about Non-studded Nokian Hakkapeliita tires?

Studded tires are not permitted in Southern Ontario, basically anywhere south of Sudbury. Are the Viking Contact 7 ones better that non-studded application, do you know?
I want 17 inch winter rims, (apparently better road grip as well as better range performance from the battery with the smallest wheels in the cold season. Another Q. is whether you ordered or arranged for ceramic or other paint finish protection or under the battery protection?

( I don't have the car yet, [ I ordered it in July or August I can't precisely recall] ... who knows exactly when ... I am in no big hurry in view of all the early adopter glitches.

I doubt Polestar Toronto or Polestar Canada really knows either as we are now. staring at a 28 day Lockdown from Dec. 26th to January 25th

Polestar. 2 non PP 19 inch wheels, plus pkg, with trailer hitch, floor mats and roof rails. Order # 11014XXX Colour: " Snow"

·
Registered
11 Posts

On the Megahjul.com website the Norwegian supplier in Oslo has. Continental Viking Contact 7 is NOT REC
OMMENDED as being the highest priced with short tire life, poor grip and poor performance on ice, high noise, not recommended and no 5 year guaranty! In other words about the worst you could do. Other poor & unrecommended brands were Bridgestones, Michelin Ice-X, Yokohama, and others.

The most highly recommended tire for Polestar 2 19 inch winter tire was the FRIGUS EV ICE 3 245/45/R19 102 V offered on sale at less than half the price of the Continental Viking Contact 7 !!!!! Other recommended brands of the same specs were Roadmarch SnowRover, Royal Black Royal Winter, and a couple of types of Nereus, These are all non studded with good life, good warranty, low noise and good traction on ice. The most expensive brands as listed above from Continentl through Yokohoma were NOT recommended and had poor performance and durability.

For 18 inch rims the only recommended ones for PS2 were the Nereus NS 806 235/55/R18 100T. and one other Nereus tire. The top one on sale for slightly more than 1/3 the price of the Continentals ... so don't get ripped off this winter folks. Keep your all seasons on for the balance of the winter and avoid driving the car during bad weather or drive very conservatively if you have to. As for 17 inch rims they are not offered anywhere I have looked so far. But maybe we can buy top notch winter tires in late spring for next year!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I wrote a post here which might help.

Reactions: babbey

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alane informed me today on the phone that there's a difference between the 19" and 20" tire specification for Canadian deliveries (could be same in other countries, I did not ask) :

• 19" wheels come standard with All Season (M+S) tires.
  • 20" wheels come standard with summer tires only, hence the requirement for those with strong winters to also buy winter tires (Alane confirmed they will be offered as an option in Canada)
This is becoming a hot topic...
In the quote below from @Lowrent I read the following

Here are the numbers I got (From Polestar Montréal).
Totals are loosely rounded off.

19"
Michelin X-Ice Snow 245/45/19 : (1200$ + service + tx) 1500$
Continental VikingContact7 245/45/19 : (1100$ + service + tx) 1400$

Tires AND wheels : (3500$ + service + tx) 4150$

20"
Michelin X-Ice Snow 245/40/20 : (1390$ + service + tx) 1750$

Tires AND wheels : (4300$ + service + tx) 5100$
@boradmc1 also reported his conversation with CS:

Just chatted with Alane and you are correct. All 20” rims come with the summer tires. They will offer a winter tire package as an accessory but you can’t swap the summer for all weather prior to delivery. The only way I can get all weather tires is to cancel my order and change to 19” rims. Guess Ill be shopping for all weather tires in December.

I found the North American full spec sheet.

It reads:

In summary :

19"

• CS says that the 19" wheels in Canada come standard with M+S tires
  • The spec sheet says that the 19" standard wheels are summer tires (I assume) since the M+S or AS mention is missing (right conclusion ? - even the Michelin.ca website does not have the Primacy 4, there's a Primacy 3 which is a summer tire only and a Primacy 4 MXV4 (AS) (expensive 100K warranty), but these are other tires - can't find anything about a Primacy 4. Manual says that they are marked VOL (fabricated for Polestar). There's also a Primacy MXM4 (AS) which Tesla uses)

20"

• Spec sheet says that the optional 20" non PP are AS
  • CS told @boradmc1 that the 20" non PP are summer only

These are two B&W contradictions.

Which one is correct ? I still don't have my car (standard with 19") and I'm not accepting it with 19" summer tires here in BC, Canada (rain the entire year and slush once in a while in winter). I checked four months ago and was specifically told (and so was @boradmc1) that the 19" were M+S and the spec does now contradict this unless something is missing from the spec (Primacy 4 YYYY?)

Can anybody in North America and preferably Canada with standard 19" or optional 20" non PP wheels please check whether they got M+S / AS tires or not ? Thank you !

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
This is becoming a hot topic...
In the quote below from @Lowrent I read the following

@boradmc1 also reported his conversation with CS:

I found the North American full spec sheet.

It reads:

View attachment 2981

In summary :

19"

• CS says that the 19" wheels in Canada come standard with M+S tires
  • The spec sheet says that the 19" standard wheels are summer tires (I assume) since the M+S or AS mention is missing (right conclusion ? - even the Michelin.ca website does not have the Primacy 4, there's a Primacy 3 which is a summer tire only and a Primacy 4 MXV4 (AS) (expensive 100K warranty), but these are other tires - can't find anything about a Primacy 4. Manual says that they are marked VOL (fabricated for Polestar). There's also a Primacy MXM4 (AS) which Tesla uses)

20"

• Spec sheet says that the optional 20" non PP are AS
  • CS told @boradmc1 that the 20" non PP are summer only

These are two B&W contradictions.

Which one is correct ? I still don't have my car (standard with 19") and I'm not accepting it with 19" summer tires here in BC, Canada (rain the entire year and slush once in a while in winter). I checked four months ago and was specifically told (and so was @boradmc1) that the 19" were M+S and the spec does now contradict this unless something is missing from the spec (Primacy 4 YYYY?)

Can anybody in North America and preferably Canada with standard 19" or optional 20" non PP wheels please check whether they got M+S / AS tires or not ? Thank you !
the 19” stock Primacy4 tires are summer tires. They don’t have any markings for all season, M+S, etc.

I am fairly salty about it (hope the roads will be similarly salty) but it doesn’t affect me except for a little bit of voluntary wintering a year.
In Canada I’d be very salty.

Reactions: krheinwald
1 - 20 of 28 Posts