Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
21' P2 Pilot/Plus
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded up my kids power wheels to bring it to our storage unit and it sticks out the hatch a bit. No big deal I'm just driving a mile or two away. Problem is the car won't let me go anywhere with the hatch open. Is there anyway to bypass this? Also seems like a giant liability down the road. If a door switch goes bad the car is inoperable?

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

· Registered
687 Posts
There was a thread about this somewhere - tricking the car into thinking the the trunk is shut during tailgating.... it featured a little plastic thing that looked like a padlock called a "Hatch Catch", but I cannot find the thread.

Reactions: Rsf

· Registered
209 Posts
While this is not a situation I have encountered before, I’m positive there is a way to defeat the switch. Every switch, on every device, can be byepassed. It just might take some investigating. Sorry, I don’t have an answer for you.

That said, on bulky items, such as my snow blower that I recently took into the shop for repair….I used a tow basket on the rear of the car. I believe the P2 is rated for 1500 lbs tow capacity? These baskets come in a variety of sizes and weight specifications for most needs. For other items that aren’t quite as heavy as my snow blower, etc, I have a large roof basket that I use for large coolers or my tail-gate BBQ.

PS - As a side note, I don’t know of any states that require the tail gate to be closed, but many states make it illegal to travel with an open tail gate, and object(s) extending out of the back (like lumber…which is why I always put lumber, plywood, etc on the roof rack.

Keep us posted if you find how to bye-pass the switch.

· Registered
30 Posts
I used a tow basket on the rear of the car. I believe the P2 is rated for 1500 lbs tow capacity?
It's rated to tow 2000lbs in the US, but the tongue weight is always 10% of the tow rating, so 200lbs. Minus the weight of the basket itself you should not load more than 150lbs or so in a hitch mounted basket (or bicycle etc) carrier.

· Registered
'22 Void I Performance I Plus I Leather
344 Posts
I loaded up my kids power wheels to bring it to our storage unit and it sticks out the hatch a bit. No big deal I'm just driving a mile or two away. Problem is the car won't let me go anywhere with the hatch open. Is there anyway to bypass this? Also seems like a giant liability down the road. If a door switch goes bad the car is inoperable?

View attachment 17961
I have started off with my hatch open on more than one occasion and the car always goes into drive and drives as normal. However, this is with the hatch fully opened, not partially closed as shown here. You cannot close it, however, unless you pull over and put the car into park. Maybe just try to do it with the hatch fully open? :unsure:

· Registered
344 Posts
I wonder if this is prohibited to protect the power struts?
t
Could be...once I hear the wind noise and realize I'm driving with excessive rear downforce :ROFLMAO: I always pull over to close it...embarrassing. (usually I open it to vent the heat from the car in the summer and just forget to close it before I take off):oops:

· Registered
209 Posts
It's rated to tow 2000lbs in the US, but the tongue weight is always 10% of the tow rating, so 200lbs. Minus the weight of the basket itself you should not load more than 150lbs or so in a hitch mounted basket (or bicycle etc) carrier.
Thanks.

Yes, my snow blower and generator are under 200lbs (each)…which is the max tongue weight for the P2 (according to Polestar). If I can’t lift it into the basket, I don’t load it.

· Administrator
2,711 Posts
That must be another US specialty. Drove off with an open hatch recently and simply closed it while driving with the button in the dash 😎

· Registered
344 Posts
That must be another US specialty. Drove off with an open hatch recently and simply closed it while driving with the button in the dash 😎
Might be a US safety regulation? Wish I could make mine close by pressing the dash button while underway since I make that mistake too often. However, I do have to pull over and put the car in park before it will close. My button doesn't work once the car is moving.🚫

· Registered
968 Posts
I think you might be right. I drove with the hatch open the other day to see what would happen. (I'm an engineer, as many of you will understand... it's what we do). I was able to drive with it fully open. I was unable to close it whilst driving, for that I had to stop again. It would continue to close if I drove slowly, perhaps under 5kph or something.

· Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
638 Posts

View attachment 17961
What is it doing? 23 model year? I've driven my 21 with the tailgate open, it only nags, doesn't stop me from doing anything.

There are a lot of people making posts about ramming their tailgate into the garage door because they left it open, so I'm not really sure how your car is any different.

· Registered
MY23 PS2; LRSM; Midnight, Plus, 20", Tow
20 Posts
So it's that time of year where I have to pick up a Christmas tree. I'm trying to read above in order to get the consensus. Will I be able to keep the hatch open about a foot if the tree is too long? Do I need a bungie to secure the hatch if it does stay open a bit? I assume that I would press the close button and when the hatch gets to the height I want, I press the close button again?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts