Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you drive into a parking space which means you can't open the drivers door, so you climb over and get out of the passenger side. I did this today, and it wouldnt let me lock the car. The dashboard screen kept saying 'Car Still Active' or something similar. I had to climb back in and open the drivers door a bit and close it. Then the car was happy to be 'turned off' and locked.

Isnt that strange?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) mine locked by touching the handle
Did you try it by driving, then pressing "P" and then getting out of the passenger side without touching the driver door? For me if I do that, then none of the door handles nor the key fob will do anything. I just get the "Car is active" warning as per photo below. If I open the driver door then the car seems to power-down as it were and then permits the doors to be locked.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
Great News! - your car is not broken! Just needs a serious clean!
(my car reacted the same)

Registered
What happens if you slightly open the driver's door and close it before you leave from the other side?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What happens if you slightly open the driver's door and close it before you leave from the other side?
Any amount of opening of the driver door makes the car 'power down' into its dormant/off state, so yeah it now lets you lock it. Could be a problem in that you need a certain gap to be able to slam/close the door properly again.

I guess the question is then whether there is a way to manually make the car power down; ie turns of the radio and AC etc, whilst you are still in the car, without opening the driver door? With a normal ICE car, you just turn the key, or press the start/stop button, but with electric car there is no key turn or button (that I've found) which puts it into active/dormant state.

Super Moderator
Press and hold the play/pause button - you're then given the option to turn off the car.

Registered
There is no way in hell I'd be able to climb over the console without my body turning off for good 馃槅
I can't imagine pulling into a space that tight. And I wouldn't with the thought that the guy next to me is going to do some serious damage when his passenger gets in. I do remember that when my car was delivered, it was a very tight squeeze in the truck. The delivery guy keeps the window open. So when the car goes in, and when it comes out, he just uses the window to get in and out of the driver's seat. I can't imagine the car stayed "on" the entire trip.

Registered
Midnight PP leather tow
This is just another of the 100 million reasons why the stupid thing needs an on/off button. I love the car but by god the designers are idiots at times.

Registered
This is just another of the 100 million reasons why the stupid thing needs an on/off button. I love the car but by god the designers are idiots at times.
The lack of an on/off button is part of the cool aspect for sure. But there's a lot of sw behind that to take care of all the possible cases. Maybe you found one that they didn't think of.

Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
What I find strange is that you managed to climb over the Great Wall of China that's between the driver and passenger seats!
Spare a thought for us British drivers who, if like me yesterday, your car's 12V battery dies, have to open what for us is the passenger door and somehow reach over the Great Wall of China to grab the lever to pop up the frunk and jump start it.

This incident made me realise that this is the first car I've had that has only one physical lock for emergency use (and in the wrong side!), so make sure to keep your emergency stuff in the frunk, and if you're in a right hand drive market consider signing up for a yoga class so you can open it from the passenger side if you ever have to!

Registered
Spare a thought for us British drivers who, if like me yesterday, your car's 12V battery dies, have to open what for us is the passenger door and somehow reach over the Great Wall of China to grab the lever to pop up the frunk and jump start it.

This incident made me realise that this is the first car I've had that has only one physical lock for emergency use (and in the wrong side!), so make sure to keep your emergency stuff in the frunk, and if you're in a right hand drive market consider signing up for a yoga class so you can open it from the passenger side if you ever have to!
Yikes! You'd need to get your kid to do that.

Registered
Yikes! You'd need to get your kid to do that.
Unfortunately they were at school...

My initial thought was OMG I'm so screwed because every other car I've driven has a safety interlock where you can't pull that lever if the driver's door isn't open, for obvious reasons (don't ask me how I know this)

As I found out, fortunately (?) no such mechanical interlock exists on the British spec cars.

I wonder if that's the case for NA cars, would be curious to find out if works with the door closed over there, or if this was a compromise solution for not having to swap the lock over to the driver's door here.

Registered
I thought that lever was purely a mechanical cable. I can't say I've ever tried it in any car without the door open. Although I can imagine that if the car is not unlocked it would still sound the alarm.

Registered
I thought that lever was purely a mechanical cable. I can't say I've ever tried it in any car without the door open. Although I can imagine that if the car is not unlocked it would still sound the alarm.
It should be, that鈥檚 my understanding as well.

It also is on my other cars but there is something mechanical preventing me from pulling it all the way if the door is closed.

Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
Right about now my car will flash the rear lights inexplicably.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't imagine pulling into a space that tight. And I wouldn't with the thought that the guy next to me is going to do some serious damage when his passenger gets in.
In the UK most of our roads were built for horse and cart. So you can often find yourself needing to park very close to a hedge/wall/cliff to enable traffic to contine to pass, meaning that exit is only possible one side. Usually you manouvre such that the blocked side is the passenger side, but sometimes it just dont work out that way.

Registered
I do remember that when my car was delivered, it was a very tight squeeze in the truck. The delivery guy keeps the window open. So when the car goes in, and when it comes out, he just uses the window to get in and out of the driver's seat.
The Duke boys are doing car deliveries now? :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts