Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure out how to get rock music to sound good on my PS2 sound system (the plus package one).
No matter what I do, the drums (especially snare and kick) are much much louder than the guitars and vocals and very distracting. Does anyone know what I can do to increase the gain on guitar and vocals? I'm not very well versed in setting up equalizers.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I have these settings on mine. It does seem they tweak things a bit each software update so I spend a session reconfiguring things each time to my liking. Also check the source - Spotify likes to reset things with app updates so it goes to “automatic” instead of “very high” bit quality.

Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Electronic instrument Hood

·
Registered
PS2, Void, Dual Motor, Plus & Pilot
138 Posts
I have these settings on mine. It does seem they tweak things a bit each software update so I spend a session reconfiguring things each time to my liking. Also check the source - Spotify likes to reset things with app updates so it goes to “automatic” instead of “very high” bit quality.

View attachment 13545
How do you have the other two screens set? Speaker config and surround.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
How do you have the other two screens set? Speaker config and surround.
Surround off for sure

I default focus to all because in driver focused it’s a bit too quiet for my kids. And in driver it’s like the front main speaker is working over time. I go back and forth whether I prefer driver or all.

also. i need the volume at 40% or more to really have everything come through. Gets a bit painful for me higher than 60% though at that level it does contribute to sessions of spirited driving…

Reactions: mgjazz and Mick

·
Registered
895 Posts
That equalizer setting is the one that's been shared before, but there's pretty clearly been some fundamental difference in HK systems in the PS2, because that setting emphasizes high frequencies and in my car makes EVERYTHING sound like a gramophone. (I'm being hyperbolic, but point being it really makes for an unlistenable soundstage in my car.)

Vocals are in the 80-300 range, so if you're not hearing those cleanly and clearly, these settings probably won't help with that, but will actually exacerbate it.

I use the more traditional "soft-U" that you'll find recommended for most equalizers and is the most common on the Volvo side for both HK and B&W systems.

Communication Device Gadget Output device Audio equipment Font

·
Registered
138 Posts
Surround off for sure

I default focus to all because in driver focused it’s a bit too quiet for my kids. And in driver it’s like the front main speaker is working over time. I go back and forth whether I prefer driver or all.

also. i need the volume at 40% or more to really have everything come through. Gets a bit painful for me higher than 60% though at that level it does contribute to sessions of spirited driving…
I hope that some day I will find a setting that is satisfactory for me. I am a long time Mercedes owner (This is my first non-Mercedes in 15 cars) and I have owned 3 recording studios. So music was always playing in my cars. I have found myself having nothing playing more often than not in the PS2. I am quite sad about that. :(

Ironically I had a friend that sold Maserati's and he told me that I would not like them because they had crappy radios. He knew me well. :) So I passed on getting one without even driving one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
From a positioning (balance and fader) standpoint I like this setting the best. It is amazing that the front speaker is still very active. The bummer about this setting is that the front subwoofer gets turned off.

Automotive lighting Font Gadget Rectangle Screenshot

My hearing is still very good so I am happy with the highs. Here is my EQ setting.

Font Audio equipment Slope Gas Rectangle

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
will definitely play around with these alternative settings. I've tried rear-focused under I think a similar idea, but I think the system is front-biased so much (like the driving I guess!) that it doesn't sound satisfactory at all to me.

Else, I can only chalk up to folks' different experiences here as preference based. I'm not a card carrying Audiophile but def have a preference for different sound systems and those eq settings are good for me. When I've increasing the low frequencies like those settings, it gets to be way too boomy for me. But I also tend to listen to heavier bass music that maybe is already amped up with those frequencies at baseline? Or, it's just Polestar's system is bass-biased, matching my baseline preference.
I could also believe that Spotify applies its own filter for different tracks depending on some metadata. Wolfmother, Beck, and White Stripes come through very differently compared to each other in Spotify (car or laptop app), but the same tracks played through YouTube Music on my laptop sound more equivalently mixed.

edit: also, @jmorris644 sorry you seem to be TCAMed right now - what software version are you on? I def saw an improvement in sound after 1.9-2.0

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
will definitely play around with these alternative settings. I've tried rear-focused under I think a similar idea, but I think the system is front-biased so much (like the driving I guess!) that it doesn't sound satisfactory at all to me.

Else, I can only chalk up to folks' different experiences here as preference based. I'm not a card carrying Audiophile but def have a preference for different sound systems and those eq settings are good for me. When I've increasing the low frequencies like those settings, it gets to be way too boomy for me. But I also tend to listen to heavier bass music that maybe is already amped up with those frequencies at baseline? Or, it's just Polestar's system is bass-biased, matching my baseline preference.
I could also believe that Spotify applies its own filter for different tracks depending on some metadata. Wolfmother, Beck, and White Stripes come through very differently compared to each other in Spotify (car or laptop app), but the same tracks played through YouTube Music on my laptop sound more equivalently mixed.

edit: also, @jmorris644 sorry you seem to be TCAMed right now - what software version are you on? I def saw an improvement in sound after 1.9-2.0
I have not tried any streaming apps yet. So far I have solely used lossless audio through bluetooth. Maybe when they re-enable the USB connections I will try that too. I am hoping better bandwidth than bluetooth. But I am fearful that the source quality and/or bandwidth is not the issue.

re: TCAM, I am good now. My car got delivered with 2.0. I had to do a dual-battery reset. So no issues since.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Best test for me is FLAC from USB with Audiowagon...unfortunately broken with 2.0 - hopefully only temporarily. My EQ is somewhat similar to @polerad, but a few DB lower on the EQ sliders and a bit higher on the sub. Definitely All and no surround - the surround on makes it sound like unmitigated crap to me.

·
Registered
No issues: 2022 Polestar 2 magnesium, PP, 12/21 DOB
89 Posts
Its not you, it is the system. There is a very long thread about the poor sound quality in the PS2. I am an audiophile and am not happy at all with it.
This is a bunch of garbage.

Audiophile or not. I rocked out to Stix “Come sail away” today in my stock audio and it was awesome. The audio is fine - it’s a car for god sake.

·
Registered
MY22-LRSM-pilot/plus-20"-void
26 Posts
Also check the source - Spotify likes to reset things with app updates so it goes to “automatic” instead of “very high” bit quality.
Where can I find these settings in the P2? Can’t seem to find preferences in the spotify app. I did set it to «very high» in my desktop app, is that enough?

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Where can I find these settings in the P2? Can’t seem to find preferences in the spotify app. I did set it to «very high» in my desktop app, is that enough?
in the car app itself. Should find a gear settings icon and be able to set it there.

This is a bunch of garbage.

Audiophile or not. I rocked out to Stix “Come sail away” today in my stock audio and it was awesome. The audio is fine - it’s a car for god sake.
This version though right?

·
Super Moderator
2,135 Posts
I like this setting the best.
You're another of the handful of folks which have what can only be described as a 'different' HK system to everyone else. When I say a handful, I really do mean a handful, half a dozen or so people report that their systems have almost no low frequency response and end up doing crazy stuff like that to get it sound even close to acceptable.

Those settings are -totally- unusable in almost everyone's cars. I can't even begin to describe how utterly awful that sounds, and this is nothing to do with personal taste, audiophilia, golden ears or any other nonsense - it's just horrific.

If I get time later, I'll run a sweep with a calibrated mic and show you what your settings produce in my car.

There is a very long thread about the poor sound quality in the PS2. I am an audiophile and am not happy at all with it.
Just to be clear, there's a very long thread where a small subset of people complain about poor sound quality in the PS2. I think your car is broken... The difficulty is that unless you can get yourself an A-B test with a known good car, there's no way of proving this.

With some gentle tweaks, the PS2 system (in my car at least) is superb - crystal clear with perfect imaging and bass that goes plenty low enough without anything rattling or distorting.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts