Polestar Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow, that out of phase thing might be something to it - wonder if one of the air subs is wired backwards...
I wonder if something like that could explain the vastly different experiences some of us have?
The out of «phase thing» indeed shows that audiophile sound quality in a car is difficult, expecially in the mid and high frequencies. With the center speaker directed to the wind-screen and then glass on «all sides», even in the roof, this is bound to make a myriad of reflections. The bass needs longer distance to reach 180 degees phase shift and I donˋt quite understand the measurement results in this region.

Pushing an EQ trottle to max resulting +3dB increase measured in the respective band seems like similar behaviour as in my car.

But to be fair, the audio system sound is good in my car, at least for driving. (Would have appreciated a more responsive EQ though).

·
Registered
PS2, Void, Dual Motor, Plus & Pilot
138 Posts
This is a very interesting writeup about the difficulty with car audio. I am going to reach out to the author and see if I can get their opinion on my graphs, but what I found interesting is the point made in the Midbass - low mids section

"Clean timing and phase relations between the speakers are necessary against acoustic cancellations. "

·
Registered
PS2, Void, Dual Motor, Plus & Pilot
138 Posts
I can't figure out how to get rock music to sound good on my PS2 sound system (the plus package one).
No matter what I do, the drums (especially snare and kick) are much much louder than the guitars and vocals and very distracting. Does anyone know what I can do to increase the gain on guitar and vocals? I'm not very well versed in setting up equalizers.
I just realized that I unintentionally stole your thread. My humble apologies. I am going to create a new thread to continue the measurement discussions. Sorry....

·
Registered
97 Posts
lower all the eq bands to zero and raise them one by one. guitar and vocals are around 1k so start with that.
That is the way to do it if you are lucky enough to have got an equalizer with proper response (+/- 10dB or so) rather the one in my car where the response is hard to detect; +/- 1 to 3 dB.

(I had Polestar Service checking it and downloading newest SW on the audio system, but no errors were found and EQ response is still the same).

·
Registered
MY22-LRSM-pilot/plus-20"-void
26 Posts
I can't figure out how to get rock music to sound good on my PS2 sound system (the plus package one).
No matter what I do, the drums (especially snare and kick) are much much louder than the guitars and vocals and very distracting. Does anyone know what I can do to increase the gain on guitar and vocals? I'm not very well versed in setting up equalizers.
To get back to the original post; @cbc02009 I too listen mostly to hardrock and metal. Been fiddling about with the settings alot to try to get the best out of the system. I've ended up with a typical V-shaped EQ with the trebles very high. This is probably personal preference but I like my treble high to get the most out of the drumkit and distorted guitars (besides I was a metal drummer for 15 years - too cool to wear earplugs, so I probably messed up my hearing somewhat, hehe). I take the middles down abit as the speakers of the P2 deliver very much mid-tones, which does not work to well with metal music. I'm still undecided with the bass setting, it varies from recording to recording. Also when driving you need more bass, as the roadnoise cancels much of it out.
The most important setting for me is: Set the focus to DRIVER instead of ALL. I find that works much better for rock/metal music as I find it gives better stereo reproduction and is much punchier than the ALL-setting. ALL sounds like playing music through a dolby surround system.
And of course, surround is set to OFF.

This is of course very subjective, but I find it works for me. Do this and blast Periphery's 'Reptile' on 70% volume and headbang your way to work! 🤘😆🤘

41 - 51 of 51 Posts