Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any issues with their car pulling?

Mine is ever so slightly to the left, its done 4k miles now from a March delivery and its only after I am now doing some long journeys its become more noticeable. I booked it in with Polestar start of July, its currently with Volvo and they tell me the wheel alignment needs doing, this is not covered by the warranty as its classed as wear and tear (on a 3 month old car?) they want to charge £81. I have complained to Polestar on three emails and they are basically saying its not covered and there is nothing which can be done, I am really quite disappointed with their response given its surely a 10 minute job whilst its already in the garage. The service guy also tried to tell me the cameras need re-aligning and this maybe contributing to the car pulling via the lane assist function, but I never use this... So far Polestar CS is pretty poor if I am honest, Volvo need approval todo anything and do not want to fight for your corner, its more of a hinderance for them I think looking after the Polestar group.

They have had it for 2 days now trying to sort the rattle behind the steering rack, first they said its clips under the bonnet, and now today all the suspension is being checked.... I suppose by process of elimination they will eventually get it right.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Has anyone had any issues with their car pulling?

Mine is ever so slightly to the left, its done 4k miles now from a March delivery and its only after I am now doing some long journeys its become more noticeable. I booked it in with Polestar start of July, its currently with Volvo and they tell me the wheel alignment needs doing, this is not covered by the warranty as its classed as wear and tear (on a 3 month old car?) they want to charge £81. I have complained to Polestar on three emails and they are basically saying its not covered and there is nothing which can be done, I am really quite disappointed with their response given its surely a 10 minute job whilst its already in the garage. The service guy also tried to tell me the cameras need re-aligning and this maybe contributing to the car pulling via the lane assist function, but I never use this... So far Polestar CS is pretty poor if I am honest, Volvo need approval todo anything and do not want to fight for your corner, its more of a hinderance for them I think looking after the Polestar group.

They have had it for 2 days now trying to sort the rattle behind the steering rack, first they said its clips under the bonnet, and now today all the suspension is being checked.... I suppose by process of elimination they will eventually get it right.
Alignment takes more than 10 minutes.

You can throw off alignment from a hard impact or curbing the wheel, so it's generally not covered by any warranty unless one of the adjustable suspension components is faulty.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My car seemed to be pulling left slightly immediately after being delivered from a far-away Space via flatbed. I mentioned to the Space but apparently not soon enough after delivery so they offered to align it after I paid for a round-trip flatbed back to them. I mentioned to Polestar Customer Support and they advised me to get my car aligned at the shop of my choice (I selected my local Volvo dealership) and then submit my receipt to Polestar for reimbursement. That Volvo shop had some issues attributing the service to "Polestar" but got the job done. As they (apparently) say in the UK - Done and Dusted. Or as they say at Hogwarts - Mischief Managed.

BTW, it took a good 4 hours including the time required for their technicians to update the software of their auto-alignment machine to support my car... something they needed to do anyway but hadn't done in years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car seemed to be pulling left slightly immediately after being delivered from a far-away Space via flatbed. I mentioned to the Space but apparently not soon enough after delivery so they offered to align it after I paid for a round-trip flatbed back to them. I mentioned to Polestar Customer Support and they advised me to get my car aligned at the shop of my choice (I selected my local Volvo dealership) and then submit my receipt to Polestar for reimbursement. That Volvo shop had some issues attributing the service to "Polestar" but got the job done. As they (apparently) say in the UK - Done and Dusted. Or as they say at Hogwarts - Mischief Managed.

BTW, it took a good 4 hours including the time required for their technicians to update the software of their auto-alignment machine to support my car... something they needed to do anyway but hadn't done in years.
Cheers, makes you wonder if they actually PDI all polestars after they come off the boat?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Cheers, makes you wonder if they actually PDI all polestars after they come off the boat?
Could also have been nudged or wiggled too much during its load onto the flatbed or during the 1000 mile transport down to me. Who knows?

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
A good alignment also requires a skilled tech - the machine is not enough. If they don't know what they are doing, good luck.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
I had issues that my steering wheel was misaligned leading to several visits to Volvo and all under warranty cover. Ended up getting fixed at a second Volvo dealership as first one couldn’t get it right. Didn’t pull as such but I was correcting due to wheel alignment issue…fight your corner!!!

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
I get an alignment at least once a year and wouldn't expect it to be covered under warranty. 'Sorry to take Polestar's side on this. Getting it done for 100 pounds strikes me as a good deal, actually.

Good alignment is essential for safety and tire longevity.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
In the old days I got alignments with some frequency, but it seems to me the newer cars don't have as many issues with the steering components. Could be the different configurations are less prone to going out. I think I've only had one car in the last 9 years aligned. And when I do I go to a guy about 50 miles away because their tech is an old pro at it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Before my polestar got delivered I took my truck in as the tyres looked like they were set for drifting (not something I would attempt to do in a pickup). When I took it in the guy told me they check the alignment on the manufacturing line with different equipment so he said he gets lots of new cars to have wheels realigned.

A shame they need realigning but after seeing how bad my truck tyres were after 1 year I can see why they seem this wear and tear. £85 better than 2 new tyres for sure, l and also acts as a reminder to check the tread is even regularly. Doesn't mean I don't feel for you though.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Before my polestar got delivered I took my truck in as the tyres looked like they were set for drifting (not something I would attempt to do in a pickup). When I took it in the guy told me they check the alignment on the manufacturing line with different equipment so he said he gets lots of new cars to have wheels realigned.

A shame they need realigning but after seeing how bad my truck tyres were after 1 year I can see why they seem this wear and tear. £85 better than 2 new tyres for sure, l and also acts as a reminder to check the tread is even regularly. Doesn't mean I don't feel for you though.
Things can happen in transport. But of course a good pre-sale check out by the dealer should also check the alignment.

·
Super Moderator
1,360 Posts
Polestar are a funny bunch - they'll hand out expensive cables and stuff like they cost pennies and then quibble over paying for a wheel alignment on a nearly-new car.

They don't seem to understand how easy (and pointless) it is to lose people's goodwill.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,588 Posts
Polestar are a funny bunch - they'll hand out expensive cables and stuff like they cost pennies and then quibble over paying for a wheel alignment on a nearly-new car.

They don't seem to understand how easy (and pointless) it is to lose people's goodwill.
This is where the disconnect with Volvo dealers is screwing them. I'm sure it comes down to a disagreement about who pays for the dealers' shop time/labor/parts. Polestar can give out the candy fine because it doesn't involve finding a good shop and paying them to do this. But for service, they're both tied to Volvo dealers, but don't get to control how to direct or make use of the shops.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I get an alignment at least once a year and wouldn't expect it to be covered under warranty. 'Sorry to take Polestar's side on this. Getting it done for 100 pounds strikes me as a good deal, actually.

Good alignment is essential for safety and tire longevity.

Yes but it's been present since delivery, this is what I am arguing, I've only just started doing long journeys and therefore it's become more noticeable. I fully understand the wear and tear policy, however it seems polestar are covering their backs under their t&c. Volvo can't be bothered to contest it, so limbo.

New brand / new clients one would expect a company in its infancy to strive to provide the best levels of customer service. Isn't the easiest business repeat business.

·
Super Moderator
1,360 Posts
@Howard Jones I think you've hit the jackpot combo of a dealer that isn't bothered and Polestar CS being Polestar CS.

Keep naggling at them, they'll give in eventually. I have to say though, you should have reported it as soon as you noticed it - you can just about see their point. How do they know you've not whacked it...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts