Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
At least you will have one outside the house in a couple of hours! 馃槤
I think having an Android Automotive OS vehicle with a redundant* CarPlay app doesn't quite count as having iOS device but maybe I'm nitpicking 馃槈

*Not complaining - happy for all the iPhone users out there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I updated to 2.2 last night, now the range keeps changing back to km! Really hope this gets sorted asap!
It is a bit annoying.

Personally see it as an attempt by these Europeans to deliberately start eroding the last bastions of our imperial measurement systems. It starts with EV car range but where does it end I ask you... 馃槈

[Edited for repetition]

Registered
Updated it earlier today.

Let us know if the range estimate in the driver's display switches from miles to km - it did on mine (OTA) and on someone else (they got it at a garage recently).
Did the OTA lastnight and can confirm range estimate is KM, have checked my unit settings and they are correct for the UK and odometer is miles per hour. What is interesting, when I get in the car and before setting a route the range is showing in miles, I set route and map appears on the driver console and range is still showing in miles but as soon as I drive off it flips to KMs!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Haha you might be right 馃槀

I just spoke to support via chat. They said they're aware and working on a fix 馃憤
Good to hear, we probably don't need to bombard them then. I wonder if it will require another full (90 mins locked car) OTA, guessing so.

As someone involved in software it is interesting to see this. It is a classic situation where a feature gets promised in a certain timeframe (CarPlay by end of Spring) and as a result the QA (testing) phase gets squeezed. In this case seems likely that in UK / US they did a quick check of 2.2 whilst stationary / crawling and it got the thumbs up. I can't see how you'd be driving around for a bit and not spot this.

Also interesting (to me at least) that a different bit of code executes once you go above a certain speed which changes miles to km.

I think the Range Assistant app still shows miles so at least there is that as a workaround (need to double check).

Super Moderator
Polestar 2 Dual Motor, Long Range, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
Unfortunately the Polestar software has been riddled with poor testing like this from day one. A great example is that they broke the display change when you change the distance to the car in front on automatic cruise control. Several months ago, it stopped showing the new distance when you changed it, unless you pressed the button again, at which point it showed the change from both button presses. It means you had to press once, then press again to show the actual distance being maintained, and then potentially press it the other way if it's not in the right place! How on earth this basic sort of thing isn't found when testing is crazy - it shows they have no real test specifications for sign-off, which is a bit frightening, frankly.

Every time they do a software release, there should be a long list of basic checks. Yes, it'll take a few days to run through, but it's the minimum I would expect. It would immediately find the km range indication and most of the other things that randomly break too.

By the way, CarPlay was promised by August 2020, so it's not exactly been rushed!

Registered
LRDM Midnight Blue, Pilot & Plus packs
My update 2.2 is ready to download, not having done one yet on the P* what do you guys recommend, install it or wait for the next update with the unit patch?

Super Moderator
Polestar 2 Dual Motor, Long Range, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
I'd do the installation - just make sure you have the car parked somewhere where it can be towed away if the update goes wrong and bricks the car (very uncommon now but happened a lot near the start!). I'll be doing mine when it comes through even though the unit thing will be really annoying.

Reactions: Rsf and petrosal

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
My update 2.2 is ready to download, not having done one yet on the P* what do you guys recommend, install it or wait for the next update with the unit patch?
Depends how good you are at converting km to miles in your head*. 馃槉

I'd go for it (do the update) personally but I always do the upgrade at home just in case of the unlikely event of it going wrong.

* [Good trick is divide km value by 2 (e.g. 50km --> 25) and do same but by 10 (e.g. 50km --> 5) then add the two results (25 + 5 = 30) for a rough approximation. Or shout at Google Assistant / Siri "What is X km in miles". Or you can just imagine it is miles and Polestar did an amazing efficiency update]

[EDIT: @simpsondae pointed out you can just ask "Hey Google - what's my maximum range?" in the car and it answers in miles. Didn't know that trick - very useful]

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Unfortunately the Polestar software has been riddled with poor testing like this from day one. A great example is that they broke the display change when you change the distance to the car in front on automatic cruise control. Several months ago, it stopped showing the new distance when you changed it, unless you pressed the button again, at which point it showed the change from both button presses. It means you had to press once, then press again to show the actual distance being maintained, and then potentially press it the other way if it's not in the right place! How on earth this basic sort of thing isn't found when testing is crazy - it shows they have no real test specifications for sign-off, which is a bit frightening, frankly.

Every time they do a software release, there should be a long list of basic checks. Yes, it'll take a few days to run through, but it's the minimum I would expect. It would immediately find the km range indication and most of the other things that randomly break too.

By the way, CarPlay was promised by August 2020, so it's not exactly been rushed!
All good points. You've been there since the early days whereas I've been lucky with more stability since December when I got mine.

Agree - I was referring to the latest latest timeframe for CarPlay!

Registered
I'd do the installation - just make sure you have the car parked somewhere where it can be towed away if the update goes wrong and bricks the car (very uncommon now but happened a lot near the start!). I'll be doing mine when it comes through even though the unit thing will be really annoying.
Thanks I will update it then, at home :)

Super Moderator
Ah... The joy of having Siri back... and having connectivity on my driveway...

I can live with range in KM for a while... but it really does show they do little or no beta testing with UK drivers. I offered 18 months ago to be a guinea pig but they said 'all their beta testers are in Gothenburg' which is obviously -really- useful for testing UK cars...

Registered
Depends how good you are at converting km to miles in your head*. 馃槉

I'd go for it (do the update) personally but I always do the upgrade at home just in case of the unlikely event of it going wrong.

* [Good trick is divide km value by 2 (e.g. 50km --> 25) and do same but by 10 (e.g. 50km --> 5) then add the two results (25 + 5 = 30) for a rough approximation. Or shout at Google Assistant / Siri "What is X km in miles". Or you can just imagine it is miles and Polestar did an amazing efficiency update]
I'm used to the conversion so not too much of a problem, annoying and frustrating yes, not to be working correctly, but it is what it is, hopefully there will be a patch along soon.

Registered
KM is annoying. i changed the units to US and it works......for about 5 seconds then reverts to KM.

I have to say its a minor bug. i am still in the dream that the ability to improve your car whilst parked up and installed by the driver is a great use of technology. (sorry if im being too positive!)

Barry

Registered
U.K. car installed tonight. All seems good, CarPlay working at long last so at least I鈥檝e got a decent music app at last :cool: . I鈥檒l try my wireless dongle (steal it out of sons fiesta) tomorrow to see if that works
Let me know how you get on with the dongle - I could not get mine to work but have not tried much/any real trouble shooting - just get a message saying USB cable not connected correctly or similar.

I have the smaller one here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/CarlinKit-...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

21 - 40 of 80 Posts