Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up this morning to the Instagram post for Apple CarPlay. So I went to my car to see if the update had come but I couldn’t find it so I called polestar connect and they told me it wouldn’t come for another 3 weeks. Please let me know if they told you guys something different?

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,638 Posts
The roll out has commenced, when its your turn you'll get a notification. But as always with any update, you'll need to be driving the car ;)
Mine was parked and unplugged for the last couple of days, I checked around noon, and then a couple of hours later, and got the alert.

Not sure if waking it up triggered the download, but you certainly don't need to drive it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not the greatest start to this updated. Rsnge changed to KM from miles. Apple carplay just doesn’t load. Also because of the need to have a cable and Bluetooth I’m having issues with the smart key app too

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
While I’m glad they finally released this, at its current state I can’t imagine using CarPlay.

I can tolerate having to plug the phone in, but without maps showing in the drivers display when routing via CarPlay what’s the point. I’d still have to use native Google Maps and it’ll be a pain to switch from that to the full screen CarPlay app all the time.

I find Siri and Apple Music over Bluetooth works fine and they just take the bottom two tiles on the main display.

I’m hoping casting of maps via CarPlay and communicating SoC is possible and will be implemented eventually, but I am not holding my breath for it to be done before my lease ends :(

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Single Motor Long Range Midnight Blue on Order!
41 Posts
I find Siri and Apple Music over Bluetooth works fine and they just take the bottom two tiles on the main display.
How do you get Siri and Apple Music on the standard AAOS? Which bottom 2 tiles? I'm confused?

Or do you mean you use "Hey Siri" on your phone to play music that then gets to the car over the bluetooth player?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
How do you get Siri and Apple Music on the standard AAOS? Which bottom 2 tiles? I'm confused?

Or do you mean you use "Hey Siri" on your phone to play music that then gets to the car over the bluetooth player?
That is what I meant, just using the phone for music over Bluetooth.

The default bottom two tiles of the polestar home screen are phone and Bluetooth player, and hey Siri works fine from the phone when it’s charging on the wireless charger, the whole experience just worked, and since P2.0 even cover art works for current playing track anyway.

It would be nice to have native AAOS Apple Music app to get better browsing etc, but if they have to follow the AAOS UI and they end up with something like Spotify Id probably wouldn’t bother.

Since CarPlay effectively takes up the whole screen I’d consider using it when maps get SoC info from the car and routing info is also displayed on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Mine was parked and unplugged for the last couple of days, I checked around noon, and then a couple of hours later, and got the alert.

Not sure if waking it up triggered the download, but you certainly don't need to drive it.
Interesting, that yours did that. But is that the alert or did it actually download?

Driving wasn't the 100% correct word, Polestar describes it as running. My car doesn't run unless my bottom sits on the seat. Would anyone sit in there car for an hour and half to keep this running whilst it downloads? I doubt it, hence my reference to driving....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can tolerate having to plug the phone in, but without maps showing in the drivers display when routing via CarPlay what’s the point. I’d still have to use native Google Maps and it’ll be a pain to switch from that to the full screen CarPlay app all the time.
I don't have an iPhone, so maybe I'm missing something. What's the advantage of streaming Google maps thru your phone and projecting it on the screen vs using the native Google maps that communicates with the car (accessing SOC, preconditioning battery for charging, etc))?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Interesting, that yours did that. But is that the alert or did it actually download?

Driving wasn't the 100% correct word, Polestar describes it as running. My car doesn't run unless my bottom sits on the seat. Would anyone sit in there car for an hour and half to keep this running whilst it downloads? I doubt it, hence my reference to driving....
I got the alert that it was ready to install and then installed it and went for a drive, definitely didn’t sit in the car for more than a minute or two each time, just enough to check if an alert was there the first time and to confirm installation the second.

In the meantime it was awake enough to download in the background while the car was parked on my drive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re my previous posting. I did download the app, and went to the garage to see whether it was finished, and whether it worked, and then to put the car on charge. When I connected my iPhone, all was perfect, it was brilliant. I put the car on charge, and went to bed. This morning I was disappointed to find that I get an alternating display saying “connect to car play - switch to CarPlay” and (on failure to connect) “connect your iPhone - make sure the USB cable is connected properly” it simply goes back and forth between these two. I have been unable to connect to CarPlay today, and have tried 3 different leads. Frustrating doesn’t begin to describe it…

·
Registered
105 Posts
While I’m glad they finally released this, at its current state I can’t imagine using CarPlay.

I’m hoping casting of maps via CarPlay and communicating SoC is possible and will be implemented eventually, but I am not holding my breath for it to be done before my lease ends :(
Perhaps the issue here for Polestar is how they’ve implemented navigation into the instrument cluster. If you have navigation active in the centre display but the map is not showing in the instrument cluster do you get any navigation instructions there at all?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is the above also correct if using Google Maps from within CarPlay to navigate?
yes. As soon as you start a route in CarPlay the map disappears.
However, if you start navigation on the car and have the route in the center display you can still open navigation apps in CarPlay. For example have satellite view in CarPlay and maps with guidance in the center cluster.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts