Polestar Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2022 | P*2 | Midnight | + | Barley | 19”
16 Posts
yes. As soon as you start a route in CarPlay the map disappears.
However, if you start navigation on the car and have the route in the center display you can still open navigation apps in CarPlay. For example have satellite view in CarPlay and maps with guidance in the center cluster.
How about this scenario: I say "Hey google navigate to XXX" while using CarPlay for Apple Music.
In this instance, will google navigation be active in the driver dash while car play and apple music are functioning on the center console?

Thanks for those with 2.2!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,598 Posts
How about this scenario: I say "Hey google navigate to XXX" while using CarPlay for Apple Music.
In this instance, will google navigation be active in the driver dash while car play and apple music are functioning on the center console?

It works as long as you don't start a navigation in a carplay app, the map in the driver's information display then goes blank if using the map view, and if using the non-map view it makes room for something, but still remains blank (which is odd).

Entirely pointless like this, hope it's fixable soon, but unlikely to be in a reasonable time frame for me given the lease is more than halfway through.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It works as long as you don't start a navigation in a carplay app, the map in the driver's information display then goes blank if using the map view, and if using the non-map view it makes room for something, but still remains blank (which is odd).

Entirely pointless like this, hope it's fixable soon, but unlikely to be in a reasonable time frame for me given the lease is more than halfway through.
I can live with that. My worry was I wouldn't be able to use google maps in AAOS to navigate to a charger and precondition my battery on the dash WHILE listening to Apple Music or a podcast in CarPlay. But from what you're describing this sounds entirely possible.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 Single Motor Long Range Midnight Blue on Order!
41 Posts

So - you can have CarPlay running playing audio of your choice.

Short push on the steering wheel button and say "Navigate to wherever" - the main screen changes back to Polestar Tiles with the google coloured buttons at the bottom with a transcript of what you're saying - then once the routing starts - the instrument display shows the google map and the route in blue as normal. The main display on the car then switches to Google Maps to show the normal maps screen.

Once the hey google listening is finished, the CarPlay audio starts up again. You do need to push the CarPlay button to change the main display back to CP. Once you do that, the google map view is sustained in the instrument display showing your route.

The instrument display map view only disappears if you start a navigation route on CarPlay using Waze, Google Maps or Apple Maps. But why would you when you can just ask the car's Hey Google to do it? Well I suppose if you want Waze hazard alerts and speed trap alerts....Depends how speedy you want to drive :)
Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
94 Posts

Short push on the steering wheel button and say "Navigate to wherever" - the main screen changes back to Polestar Tiles with the google coloured buttons at the bottom with a transcript of what you're saying - then once the routing starts - the instrument display shows the google map and the route in blue as normal. The main display on the car then switches to Google Maps to show the normal maps screen.

Once the hey google listening is finished, the CarPlay audio starts up again. You do need to push the CarPlay button to change the main display back to CP. Once you do that, the google map view is sustained in the instrument display showing your route.

The instrument display map view only disappears if you start a navigation route on CarPlay using Waze, Google Maps or Apple Maps. But why would you when you can just ask the car's Hey Google to do it? Well I suppose if you want Waze hazard alerts and speed trap alerts....Depends how speedy you want to drive :)
View attachment 15027
Nice review. The screen looks really sharp too, nice picture.

·
Registered
2022 | P*2 | Midnight | + | Barley | 19”
16 Posts

View attachment 15027
Thank you! This is exactly the answer I was hoping for!

·
Registered
41 Posts
What a half baked implementation. I’ve had multiple cars with CarPlay and you have always been able to use Waze/Google Maps on the main screen with navigation on and also have the cars native navigation performing routing at the same time.

For some reason this version switches of the AAOS Google maps navigation if you start navigating via CarPlay so you loose the map in the driver display.

I often use Google maps and Waze simultaneously as they often provide differing alternatives in traffic. That can’t be done now

·
Registered
MY22 Void SRSM Pilot/Plus/Leather
962 Posts
For some reason this version switches of the AAOS Google maps navigation if you start navigating via CarPlay so you loose the map in the driver display
Part of me feels like they are or were intending to do the full carplay multi-screen implementation like what exists in iDrive8, but deadlines meant it was cut before it was working, but they still killed the gmaps projection.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
1,598 Posts
Part of me feels like they are or were intending to do the full carplay multi-screen implementation like what exists in iDrive8, but deadlines meant it was cut before it was working, but they still killed the gmaps projection.
It definitely seems to be trying to do something, eg even in non-map mode when navigating via CarPlay the instrument cluster shrinks and makes room for the instruction cards, but remains blank.

I'm hoping they were quite near implementing this but they had to ship to avoid embarrassment of missing the self imposed deadline once more (which technically they still did, albeit by a day).

·
Registered
MY22 Void SRSM Pilot/Plus/Leather
962 Posts
It definitely seems to be trying to do something, eg even in non-map mode when navigating via CarPlay the instrument cluster shrinks and makes room for the instruction cards, but remains blank.
That is also possible. My old iDrive7 BMW used to clear the BMW map off the drivers display and just replace it with a stack of cards from CarPlay, the only reason it feels like it might be a little different is that Google Maps didn't do that, only Apple Maps, where this is both Apple and Google Maps.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts