Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had experience of going of a cattle grid (I googled this for American English and it came up with cattle guard / vehicle pass /Texas gate or stock gap)?

Somerset cattle grid mistaken for wall by car sensors

If the link doesn't work in other countries the headline is Cars have come off the road trying to cross a cattle grid after sensors mistook it for a wall and slammed on the brakes.

MMakes me want to find a cattle grid and see how fast I can take it

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Void, PP
51 Posts
Anyone had experience of going of a cattle grid (I googled this for American English and it came up with cattle guard / vehicle pass /Texas gate or stock gap)?

If the link doesn't work in other countries the headline is Cars have come off the road trying to cross a cattle grid after sensors mistook it for a wall and slammed on the brakes.

Pics or it didnt happen!

·
Registered
2021 2
1,375 Posts

So our cars are at most as artificially intelligent as cows. Good to know

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics or it didnt happen!
I'm afraid I don't think that counts as essential travel. "honestly officer I forgot my way to work and ended up driving over this cattle grid. Repeatedly. It was just a coincidence I set up a camera there at the same time."

So our cars are at most as artificially intelligent as cows. Good to know.
A good point. If a cow had less emissions I'd get one of those next time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wow, would never have thought of that. When I lived in Wyoming we had cattle guards everywhere including the private road that connected our house to the nearest public road. That would have been scary!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have an extremely steep driveway, and the P2 is actually the first of my cars with collision avoidance that does not panic as I back down it. My minivan is always all "Look out, there's something behind us!" "Yes, it's the road. Chill."

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had my first experience off the collision avoidance last night. Reversing onto my drive and it slammed the anchors on. Gave me a small heart attack and thought I'd hit something like the bins or my dads car. Didn't appear to be anything so tried again...bam...another small heart attack. Then noticed the neighbours cat in the side mirror walking over the drive...could of sworn it grinned at me as it walked off. Its usually quite frightened but maybe the silence of the car confused it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Anyone had experience of going of a cattle grid
Yes, we live on a common and access our house via a small cattle grid with wooden fencing either side. This was always done dead-slow because the grid itself is collapsing and slightly sunken. We never noticed any warnings or issues from the car, but as I said we were only doing 5 MPH or so. The car may have panicked were we doing 30!

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,057 Posts
I had my first experience off the collision avoidance last night. Reversing onto my drive and it slammed the anchors on. Gave me a small heart attack and thought I'd hit something like the bins or my dads car. Didn't appear to be anything so tried again...bam...another small heart attack. Then noticed the neighbours cat in the side mirror walking over the drive...could of sworn it grinned at me as it walked off. Its usually quite frightened but maybe the silence of the car confused it.
My girlfriend's daughter has 2 sinister cats I'm keen to 'secretly rehome'.
Can't believe I bought a cat friendly car.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
"Ignore my waffle?"

1. I don't know what this means.
2. British slang?
3. I gladly do so, though I'm sure your waffle is particularly cute. No offense intended.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I waffled on a bit and then realised I was talking bolleaux so edited it. Maybe I should have left the waffle there. I would have deleted the post but you can't...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Most of us actually pronounce Magnesium the same way you do. And some of us actually pronounce Iraq and Iran properly (Ee-rok, Ee-ron, slight emphasis on the 2nd syllable), but here where I live I'm in a very limited minority. 😉

1 - 20 of 27 Posts