Polestar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I did a quick search but could not find this item in the forum so apologies if this has been answered already. Took a trip this weekend and noticed a message pop up on the dashboard right in front of the speed limit icon. It was in red letters and red box called "Dist" has anyone see this or knows what it might mean. I thought initially it might be distance but I was not using cruise control.

thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
New speed limit ahead is displayed showing the new limit. I.e. if you're in an 80 zone approaching a 60, it will display 80 in a circle with a 60 in a circle above and behind the 80. Additional info is displayed in a box below the speed limit such as "zone" or "dist" if it's a temporary limit.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I’ve been kinda unimpressed with the sign speed reader (I did have high hopes.) It does not recognize temp speed signs for curve on mountain windy words in my area (in the US yellow signs with some kind or arrow/curve and a speed just for that curve) and often on those roads gets the nominal speed limit wrong. I find that map base speed limits on my other car much better as well as in CarPlay. I think the ideal system for me would be mapped based and where the map did not have the data then make use it from the sign reader.

For those of you in the SF South Bay Area I have problems on HW9 from Saratoga up to Skyline and along Skyline as well as up Los Trancos road in Portola Valley, two roads I drive somewhat frequently and the and the car thinks the speed is only 25mph. What’s perhaps interesting on those roads is that you don’t see lots of speed signs except for the ones for curves. But on Apple Maps I get what the speed allowed is and the difference is sometimes more than 25-30MPH more (which is correct.) I think the 25mph is picked up in school/special zones but then never gets reset which is mostly due to lack of good speed signage which is a reality in life. It becomes particularly obvious then the speed sign for curves as greater than the slow 25mph speed the car thinks is correct.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A car exists with a good sign reader?

I hired a Ford Exploder this week in Colorado and it spent most of the time reading the “matrix” variable speed limit signs as 85 instead of 65. It ignored the yellow ones (I assumed they were advisory?)

My RAV4 is often trying to tell me to do 10 instead of 40 in the UK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My P2 has a habit of indicating the "night speed limit" in San Francisco and Oakland is 80 mph. This is on interstate 80, so I'm guessing it's misreading a route indicator. Night speed limits are not a thing there.

I'm usually traveling this stretch after midnight on Tuesday mornings which, somewhat ironically, may be about the only time one could actually get up to 80 on this usually jammed road.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I try to look at the signs instead :cool: I do appreciate ABS and ESP but all the rest of the electronics and automation seems randomly unreliable.

·
Registered
On order: SRSM Plus/Pilot Lite in Magnesium
21 Posts
A car exists with a good sign reader?
This. Every car I've ever driven with traffic sign recognition has been hopeless. The only thing that has been anything close to useful has been the data built into Google Maps- I liked having it in my Seat, but that was purely via Android Auto as you couldn't get traffic sign recognition on the Ibiza until its recent facelift! When my Polestar arrives I will be turning it off.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This. Every car I've ever driven with traffic sign recognition has been hopeless. The only thing that has been anything close to useful has been the data built into Google Maps- I liked having it in my Seat, but that was purely via Android Auto as you couldn't get traffic sign recognition on the Ibiza until its recent facelift! When my Polestar arrives I will be turning it off.
It actually works pretty well, here at least. It doesn't actually do anything, have the alerting turned off, but it is handy to have the current limit displayed in case you're in doubt at some point. It does revert to data from Maps if no limit sign has been passed. e.g. after you turn in to a new street

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife's Merc GLA has this and it's very random too so I'm not expecting much from the P*. That one has a mind of its own, near our house we turn off a 40 zone onto a private access road which is a 20. The signs for 20 are small and not "to code" so I can forgive it missing them. But most of the time it decides that the access road is a 60. No idea how it gets that in its head because the rest of the time it resolutely will not show any limit if it can't see a sign ...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think the ideal system for me would be mapped based and where the map did not have the data then make use it from the sign reader.
Isn't it what Google tries to do with one exception? They try to fix the mapped limit based on real world sign reading, I regularly drive an 80km/h road that is mapped as 90km/h (it used to be years ago) and the car fixes itself as it sees signs. The only problem is that sign reading is far from accurate creating too much false fixes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Isn't it what Google tries to do with one exception? They try to fix the mapped limit based on real world sign reading, I regularly drive an 80km/h road that is mapped as 90km/h (it used to be years ago) and the car fixes itself as it sees signs. The only problem is that sign reading is far from accurate creating too much false fixes.
Afaik the speed indicator on the dash is not feed info from Google maps, someone please tell me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You are wrong, when you have a malfunctioning TCAM and GPS the car won’t know the speed limit without seeing a sign
Thanks.

My GPS is working when I see the issues (cell may be iffy however which is not a “malfunction” but a normal cell signal strength issue.)

Regardless it’s not working well and as such it’s not trustworthy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts